Near miss on M27 (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We have driven across from Sussex to Cornwall today and witnessed the most amazing near miss. Just 50 metres ahead of us on a fairly busy motorway, in appaling weather conditions, a mini seamed to loose control in the outside lane, veared straight across the lanes, did a 180, before slamming in to the armco on the hard shoulder. We and several other vehicles pulled over, I got to them first, no injuries, not a scratch. The driver a young female, was in mild shock and insisted that her stearing lock came on of its own accord. But I don't think she or her passenger realised how lucky they were. Travelling at 70MPH, they had crossed all three lanes inches between all the other cars and not one person was hurt. About ten other vehicles pulled over on the hard shoulder - I think they were the other near miss vehicles in shock. :RollEyes:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
? aquaplaned, d'you think?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Proly right Jen, but having been the owner of one of those god awful hunks of junk I would not be a bit surprised if it was not the steering lock.. They are electronically controlled and if my experience of the Mini[HI] Crapper[/HI] Sorry, Cooper is anything to go by absolutely 100% reliable.. Reliable in that it is 100% certain that every single electronic device in the damned things will fail sooner or later !!
I had doors lock, limp mode come and go, main beam start to flash, the dash would regularly light up like Oxford Street in December for a few seconds, plus countless other odd goings on.
I put up with it for almost a year but the final straw came when I took it ( AGAIN ) to BMW who charged me ( again ) almost £200 to tell me ' We could find nothing really wrong, but we do get this a lot' !!!! :Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - so BMW reckon you CAN drive a car adequately when the power steering fails? ..... I do actually beg to differ. Most of us grew up using non-power assisted steering didn't we? and it is different indeed esp when the steering wheels were on the huge side of large .... learned on an 1100 at one time - but virtually impossible now for me trying to steer anything that's sposed to have power but has lost it, even just 'closer to the kerb' or something equally piddling.

Not sure I'd even have been able to when I was younger .......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back