NC500 (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015

Just seen this on Microsoft news. nothing about Motorhomes, but reading betwen the lines looks like we are banned as well, !!​

It’s Electric Avenue for NC500: Visitors will have to hire plug-in cars to travel famous route​

by Bea Leven
April 1, 2021, 7:30 am
© Shutterstock
Kylesku Bridge along the NC500

Sign up for our daily newsletter featuring the top stories from The Press and Journal.

The public will be banned from driving their cars on more than 500 miles of Scottish roads under a controversial new deal to limit visitor numbers to the Highlands and reduce the country’s environmental footprint.
In the year of the COP26 climate conference in Scotland, no visitors will be allowed to drive their own vehicles on the famous NC500 route, The Press and Journal can reveal.
Amid mounting concerns about a boom in staycations that would overwhelm the Highlands, a groundbreaking new deal has been struck with Tesla that will allow visitors to rent the company’s high-end electric vehicles in order to tour the famous 516-mile route that begins and ends at Inverness Castle.
April-Fool-map-0104-521x564.jpg

Plan to manage tourist numbers​

From next month, all private cars will be stopped at key intersections by police and told the route is only passable with a rental car.
The public will be directed to Tesla which has struck an exclusive deal to supply the vehicles.
The project will allow Highland Council and VisitScotland to manage tourist numbers and help to reduce pollution in some of Scotland’s most scenic areas.
The only other vehicles allowed access on the route will be locals and delivery vehicles. Cyclists will be exempt.
“This will thin out the traffic massively and it will be controversial, but in the year of COP26 having almost all electric cars is a great message to send to the world,” said Prof A Lilo of green lobby group Are Friends Electric?
It is understood the deal emerged out of talks around a spaceport in the north of Scotland which have involved Tesla founder Elon Musk.
© Action Press/Shutterstock
Elon Musk
Data analysis has carefully predicted consumer demand and the company will supply 1,421 of their new Tesla hatchbacks for use on the route. The cars will also have speed limiters with a 60mph maximum to reduce accidents and a range of 180 miles forcing tourers to stop to recharge.
This has been described as “great for hotels”.
The pre-loaded satnav, which will narrate highlights along the route, is being voiced by Olive and Mabel star Andrew Cotter.
All of the cars will be either blue or white after the Scottish Government rejected red Teslas.
“If we’re doing this the last thing we want is a picture of three cars – red, white and blue – driving along a scenic Scottish road,” said a government insider. “We’re no daft.”
Electric charging points, branded superchargers, already exist on the circular route.
As part of the deal, 14 new permanent charging points will be added, which will remain after the initial two-year deal expires and be available for locals to use.
However, the deal has attracted criticism.
Tesla-cars-red-with-cross-752x564.jpg

Kylescu landowner Laird Foalposy told The P&J that the deal would result in queues for locals just trying to go about their normal business.
“Aston Martins and campervans will be turning up unaware of the change. And traffic will be backed up. All to save the planet? No thanks.”
A spokesman for the UK Supercar Owners Club said: “This is an absolute joke.”
A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “Anyone who isn’t driving a blue or white Tesla on this route can expect to be stopped and questions asked.”
Early results from the pioneering project will be presented as part of COP26 in Glasgow in November and insiders believe it could spark similar schemes in other countries.
“This could be a blueprint for national parks in the USA like Yosemite. At a stroke you slash pollution and manage visitor numbers and charge the public a fortune for hiring cars,” said Cheta Ketched from analysts Sure Thing.

Sticky situation after cars get Alba badges​

shutterstock_editorial_10644702a_38422672-847x564.jpg

In an embarrassing twist, the first Tesla cars bound for the NC500 route were adorned with “Alba” branding.
It is understood an executive at the Palo Alto-based company, with Scottish connections, thought adding the signifier would be a “lovely touch”.
But with the surprise launch of Alex Salmond’s new party of the same name ahead of the Scottish elections, this has turned into a sticky nightmare.
“There are kids on their knees in California, with soap and water, being paid to remove these adhesive badges.
“It’s taking a while,” a source said.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Just seen this on Microsoft news. nothing about Motorhomes, but reading betwen the lines looks like we are banned as well, !!​

It’s Electric Avenue for NC500: Visitors will have to hire plug-in cars to travel famous route​

by Bea Leven
April 1, 2021, 7:30 am
© Shutterstock

Sign up for our daily newsletter featuring the top stories from The Press and Journal.

The public will be banned from driving their cars on more than 500 miles of Scottish roads under a controversial new deal to limit visitor numbers to the Highlands and reduce the country’s environmental footprint.
In the year of the COP26 climate conference in Scotland, no visitors will be allowed to drive their own vehicles on the famous NC500 route, The Press and Journal can reveal.
Amid mounting concerns about a boom in staycations that would overwhelm the Highlands, a groundbreaking new deal has been struck with Tesla that will allow visitors to rent the company’s high-end electric vehicles in order to tour the famous 516-mile route that begins and ends at Inverness Castle.
April-Fool-map-0104-521x564.jpg

Plan to manage tourist numbers​

From next month, all private cars will be stopped at key intersections by police and told the route is only passable with a rental car.
The public will be directed to Tesla which has struck an exclusive deal to supply the vehicles.
The project will allow Highland Council and VisitScotland to manage tourist numbers and help to reduce pollution in some of Scotland’s most scenic areas.
The only other vehicles allowed access on the route will be locals and delivery vehicles. Cyclists will be exempt.
“This will thin out the traffic massively and it will be controversial, but in the year of COP26 having almost all electric cars is a great message to send to the world,” said Prof A Lilo of green lobby group Are Friends Electric?
It is understood the deal emerged out of talks around a spaceport in the north of Scotland which have involved Tesla founder Elon Musk.
© Action Press/Shutterstock
Elon Musk
Data analysis has carefully predicted consumer demand and the company will supply 1,421 of their new Tesla hatchbacks for use on the route. The cars will also have speed limiters with a 60mph maximum to reduce accidents and a range of 180 miles forcing tourers to stop to recharge.
This has been described as “great for hotels”.
The pre-loaded satnav, which will narrate highlights along the route, is being voiced by Olive and Mabel star Andrew Cotter.
All of the cars will be either blue or white after the Scottish Government rejected red Teslas.
“If we’re doing this the last thing we want is a picture of three cars – red, white and blue – driving along a scenic Scottish road,” said a government insider. “We’re no daft.”
Electric charging points, branded superchargers, already exist on the circular route.
As part of the deal, 14 new permanent charging points will be added, which will remain after the initial two-year deal expires and be available for locals to use.
However, the deal has attracted criticism.
Tesla-cars-red-with-cross-752x564.jpg

Kylescu landowner Laird Foalposy told The P&J that the deal would result in queues for locals just trying to go about their normal business.
“Aston Martins and campervans will be turning up unaware of the change. And traffic will be backed up. All to save the planet? No thanks.”
A spokesman for the UK Supercar Owners Club said: “This is an absolute joke.”
A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “Anyone who isn’t driving a blue or white Tesla on this route can expect to be stopped and questions asked.”
Early results from the pioneering project will be presented as part of COP26 in Glasgow in November and insiders believe it could spark similar schemes in other countries.
“This could be a blueprint for national parks in the USA like Yosemite. At a stroke you slash pollution and manage visitor numbers and charge the public a fortune for hiring cars,” said Cheta Ketched from analysts Sure Thing.

Sticky situation after cars get Alba badges​

shutterstock_editorial_10644702a_38422672-847x564.jpg

In an embarrassing twist, the first Tesla cars bound for the NC500 route were adorned with “Alba” branding.
It is understood an executive at the Palo Alto-based company, with Scottish connections, thought adding the signifier would be a “lovely touch”.
But with the surprise launch of Alex Salmond’s new party of the same name ahead of the Scottish elections, this has turned into a sticky nightmare.
“There are kids on their knees in California, with soap and water, being paid to remove these adhesive badges.
“It’s taking a while,” a source said.
Hope they include a guide of where to spot HAGGIS,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Ban all Cars & Campers on The NC500, just put a load of these on there.
LES
1617290271274.png
1617290271274.png

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I also hear they are going to make the NC 500 clockwise on even dates and anti-clockwise on odd dates, this is reduce the problems of motorhomes passing on the single track roads

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I also hear they are going to make the NC 500 clockwise on even dates and anti-clockwise on odd dates, this is reduce the problems of motorhomes passing on the single track roads
I can see that working, cant you? :unsure: :doh:
If anyone knows anything about the NC500 or does their research, its always best to do the East Coast first, across the top & down the West, best bits are at the end then, and everyone would be going in the same direction, not causing blockages.
We love The Highlands & Islands, but unless doing it in the shoulder months, its a no no from the start, it will be mayhem up there, it was bad enough 2 years ago as I sat having a coffee, and counted the hire vans going onto Skye, that was in April/early May.
LES

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Problem with this is the youngsters...25% of under 35 yet olds can't tell the time unless with a digital watch so how do they tell clockwise against anti clockwise..

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
The signs are already up, I have just come back from the west coast,it is getting busy up there. As you go north signs on the approach to Applecross, on the O/S of the road as you approach the turn off say NO MOTORHOMES OR CARAVANS, but once yo turn into it there are no signs!! I drove to the north junction and it says nothing about Mo-Ho's so I think they have introduced the one way system they have been talking about. Of course as we did it anti-clockwise we met loads of campervans and mo-hos coming the other way with big beaming smiles on there faces!!
I am glad I did it now looking at news coming out now ( did someone say it will be introduced on April the 1st?) so why are they pushing so hard to build Aires all over Scotland and pushing private people to provide parking for us if they are going to ban us. Good for Hotels and a disaster for everyone else in tourism!
Looking at another thread posted today about a dickhead trying to push his van through a 6'6" width restriction If you feel like having a pop at me the go ahead, I did it in my Little bit wider than average 6.4ton Carthago with no probs. Was it my excellent driving skills or was I dead lucky on the 1 in 3 decent onto those very severe hair pins or am I a dickhead? I think it was just one of those things we have to do on our bucket list. Oh the wife was in the back on the floor shouting something about cart track or something, I told her to come back she was missing the view. Bruce

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp

I am glad I did it now looking at news coming out now ( did someone say it will be introduced on April the 1st?)

Can I just point out the date of the original message

:LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back