LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, but don't attempt the Pass o cattle on the way to Applecross. The rest you will have no problems with. Just leave plenty space between vehicles on single track roads.

Ian

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Thanks Ian
is it just too narrow?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it just has a couple of bends that could cause you issues, but they go over with gritters in winter, so it is doable IMO, done it by car, would probably take mine over if we went back there, but rear wheel drive may be critical, FWD may scrabble for grip

there are not as many passing places as you might like, all OK till you meet a 8.5m Mh coming towards you (y)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.4...4!1siP9trj3CcvD8C_IHdUBHYg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

nice thing about google maps you can drive it virtually :)(y)

done most of the NC500 in little bits in our 8m Hymer with no issues, single track roads actually work out better than those not quite wide enough for 2 to pass

hard to 'hide' 8.5m of white MH though, ours is subtle gold colour so blends in when wilding :) you look to have the same advantage as us (y)

personally the NC500 is over rated, just go and enjoy the area at your own pace and route (y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
If you go to YouTube and search for "Pass to Applecross" it will give you some idea of the roads involved.

Other than that try and make sure that the vehicle in front is far enough in front so that they dont take up the next passing place.

As David says above; dont do it for the sake of the name just enjoy the Highlands (and the rest) of Scotland

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The
Thanks Ian
is it just too narrow?

You are too long for the Pass, you would not be able to negotiate the hairpin bends - don't even think about it!

My wife would say ,'if Ian is saying that, it must be true/difficult/impossible'. I'm not easily put off but having ridden it on my motorbike and taken a specific interest in the possibility of taking the motorhome, it's a definite no no!

Others have said gritters go over it - they are shorter and have greater ground clearance. The oft stated reply (bin lorries, local buses etc) when people query access down Cornish lanes does not apply in this case.

Ian

OP
OP
du162

du162

Free Member
Feb 19, 2017
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
A Clss
Exp
Thanks Ian
Well noted
So looking at the map I turn right before it

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2017-6-14_20-39-6.png

I would never suggest any body do anything dangerous, but if the council think 18T is a reasonable limit I don't really think any of our MH's will be excluded

The view point mentioned is at the top of the hill, so the restriction is for the downhill section going from Applecross, might be the better direction of travel of doing it

Alternatively take your bike, park in Applecross, ride up and report back :)(y)

Great pub food in Applecross (y)(y)

just used google to review the route, the weight restriction signs show the restriction is only due to a weak bridge, there is a sign further back saying unsuitable for caravans

Your choice, I am sure I have read a few members have been over and reported back favourably (y)

the hairpins are tight, but the roads plenty wide enough to have a good swing and visibility is excellent

upload_2017-6-14_20-53-20.png

If you don't fancy this one you might be intimidated by some of the A roads in the north west (y)(y)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Your choice, I am sure I have read a few members have been over and reported back favourably (y)

If you've got an 8.5m van David, you go for it but don't forget to report back!

View attachment 168606

If you don't fancy this one you might be intimidated by some of the A roads in the north west (y)(y)

I've never had any trouble with the roads in the NW but wouldn't tackle the Pass o' Cattle. Perhaps if I had a smaller van but not in an 8.4m tag.

Ian

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
My wife and I completed the NC500 in April, my MH is 7.5m and I am an experienced and confident driver but I will NEVER cross the Bealach Na Ba in a MH ever again. Most of the single track road is about as wide as the MH and if when crossing to Applecross you meet something coming the other way it can be very tight. Some of the passing places are 3-4 ft wide and on a narrow stretch this means if you meet another wide(ish) vehicle you physically can't pass each other.
It's a stunning drive particulary the north coastline itself and well worth the effort but avoid the Bealach Na Ba......my opinion only.

Feb 19, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ran over the pass a couple of years ago in a 5.5m PVC and managed to meet a coach just at the hairpin bend shown in DavidG58's second picture fortunately there was no one parked in the run off area at the time (it's meant to be kept clear) and I was able to reverse into it to allow the coach to get past. The main concern was the width of the road and not the length of the van as you have to go right up to the edge to allow vehicles to pass and my passenger was very uncomfortable with that. Been up and down it many many times on the motorbike.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Just seen this posted on another thread!

While it is not the NC500 it is indicative of the challenges!

Ian

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
View attachment 168603

I would never suggest any body do anything dangerous, but if the council think 18T is a reasonable limit I don't really think any of our MH's will be excluded

The view point mentioned is at the top of the hill, so the restriction is for the downhill section going from Applecross, might be the better direction of travel of doing it

Alternatively take your bike, park in Applecross, ride up and report back :)(y)

Great pub food in Applecross (y)(y)

just used google to review the route, the weight restriction signs show the restriction is only due to a weak bridge, there is a sign further back saying unsuitable for caravans

the hairpins are tight, but the roads plenty wide enough to have a good swing and visibility is excellent

View attachment 168606

Looks like Morrocan roads lol

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Just seen this posted on another thread!

While it is not the NC500 it is indicative of the challenges!

Ian

Front wheel drive so all his weights on the back probably raising the front drive wheels up.

Couldn't see a funster sticker lol

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
gave me palpitations of horror.. we are thinking of doing the 500 this June [so hopefully no snow !!] Have taken the van up to Alpe d huez; and it is only 6m but I hate the downward bit more than the uphill- always scared the brakes will fail. But as it is Scotland I hope it will all be uphill?

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We are hoping to do the NC500 as soon after the Mayday bank holiday as we can and take around three weeks in the north. Does anyone have advice on the 'midge' expectation around this time.
We have friends in the Edinburgh area so may call on them on the way up or down. Home is in Shropshire so well over 300 miles to travel before we get into the Highlands.

Rod

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back