Tour Guide Wanted NC500 tour in an A class , Any tips? (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Hi all , since our planned trip to the continent is now off we thought we would look at the Scottish NC500 from Inverness round the top of Scotland. We plan to go later this month and take about 8 days . We have a Hymer A class 7m long 2.3 m wide. Is it possible to do this trip In an A class with the narrow roads ? or are we mad to consider this. Any tips or suggestions and for stop offs or wild camping (I have yet to convince the wife wild camping could be fun , as newbies we haven’t done this yet )

Any tip or suggestions would be appreciated

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi all , since our planned trip to the continent is now off we thought we would look at the Scottish NC500 from Inverness round the top of Scotland. We plan to go later this month and take about 8 days . We have a Hymer A class 7m long 2.3 m wide. Is it possible to do this trip In an A class with the narrow roads ? or are we mad to consider this. Any tips or suggestions and for stop offs or wild camping (I have yet to convince the wife wild camping could be fun , as newbies we haven’t done this yet )

You’re going the best way round. I’ve done it in an 8.5 metre tag axle A class. No problems at all. Bus go around it as do trucks . There are loads of places to park up overnight. Have a great trip.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Easy enough if you understand the etiquette of driving on single track roads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Even though it’s late in the year I would get at least some sites ore booked , some are not opening this year

one of our regular stops Sango Sands at Durness being one 🙁

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago

Yes ... dead easy! Plenty of passing places of the single track roads. Just watch out for your mirrors - on my Exsis-I they are same height as the passing place signs. When you tuck in to the passing place just make sure you don't clonk your mirrors. I'm LHD so it was easy to watch out for.

Even though it’s late in the year I would get at least some sites ore booked , some are not opening this year one of our regular stops Sango Sands at Durness being one
We stayed there in July - just turned up with out booking. Pretty windy but great views.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
You’re going the best way round. I’ve done it in an 8.5 metre tag axle A class. No problems at all. Bus go around it as do trucks . There are loads of places to park up overnight. Have a great trip.

Did you go over the Bealach na Ba to Applecross?

I know that buses/trucks navigate some of those roads but they have a hell of a lot more ground clearance than I have on my 8.4m tag axle Dethleffs. I’d not be worried about the length but would be concerned about ground clearance negotiating the hairpin.

Ian

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

My brother lives on the NC500 and he says that at the moment he would rather drive around Brum on the M6. Across the top and then back down west coast is absolutely pandemonium. Some places reporting gridlock with vans parked on any available space... Rmbr NC500 Does not have a toll road like M6.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
My brother lives on the NC500 and he says that at the moment he would rather drive around Brum on the M6. Across the top and then back down west coast is absolutely pandemonium. Some places reporting gridlock with vans parked on any available space... Rmbr NC500 Does not have a toll road like M6.
Proof needed....

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Proof needed....
Oh... my brothers word not good enough for you???? I will get him to send you some photos of the Vans parked in front of his property... Assuming he has time to do so with his busy crofting schedule. 🐖🐖🐺🐺🐾🐾🐫🐫

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Even though it’s late in the year I would get at least some sites ore booked , some are not opening this year

one of our regular stops Sango Sands at Durness being one 🙁
Sango Sands was definitely open a month ago. In fact it looked as though it was bursting at the seams! Most sites close end September/early October.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000

I know that buses/trucks navigate some of those roads but they have a hell of a lot more ground clearance than I have on my 8.4m tag axle Dethleffs. I’d not be worried about the length but would be concerned about ground clearance negotiating the hairpin.

Ian
It isn’t the hairpins that’s are the problem but some of the passing places are a bit short for long vans, bit of a worry when it is a sheer drop both sides of the road,

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Ian
No didn’t go over the pass. I been over many times on the motorbike.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
No didn’t go over the pass. I been over many times on the motorbike.

Me too, it’s great isn’t it.

I know that it would be inadvisable in my van both from a ground clearance issue and from the fact that if I had to manoeuvre back and forth around the hairpin that my ridiculously high reverse gear would just result in a burned out clutch.

Ian

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It isn’t the hairpins that’s are the problem but some of the passing places are a bit short for long vans, bit of a worry when it is a sheer drop both sides of the road,

I agree that some of the passing places are on the short side but thats only really a problem if the opposing vehicles are both large vehicles; otherwise the short vehicle can occupy the passing place.

The hairpin may not be an issue for you but I can assure you that it would be problematic for my van. Lots of folks trot out the “don’t forget that if the bin lorry/bus can get through, so can you” line but they forget that those vehicles have way more ground clearance and dont have the same issues with long rear overhangs. It does’t take much of a gradient change for my rear end (oh err!) to scrape. 😎

Ian

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What difference does it make being an a class most coachbuilts are the same width many that length or longer. Ours is shorter at 6m but the same length we went over the top to applecross great views.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
What difference does it make being an a class most coachbuilts are the same width many that length or longer. Ours is shorter at 6m but the same length we went over the top to applecross great views.
It is the length that is the problem, whether or not it is an A class.

Somebody has said in relation to short passing places, that the shorter van should use the passing place. Our van is 6.3m. We met an A class coming towards us and pulled into a passing place that was just long enough for us; we were as far to the left as we could get without going over the edge (sheer drop); we pulled our mirror in. The A class just about managed to get passed, with the passenger outside directing. They were both as white as sheets.

If anyone is worried about doing it, don’t do it! Knowing the road, we didn’t do it in our previous 6.7m van.

As for Large lorries and bin lorries using the road, they don’t.

It would be helpful if the sign at the bottom gave a length, instead of just saying long vehicles.

OP
OP
sparkyvanman
Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
thanks all , these post are putting me off , maybe i just stick to the east coast road to the top then come back the same way ??

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
thanks all , these post are putting me off , maybe i just stick to the east coast road to the top then come back the same way ??
If you’re in the vicinity of Lossiemouth May I recommend this great site at Hopeman nearby “West Beach Caravan Park” it’s one of the best sites I’ve ever stayed on, we have a shore side pitch which we’re on now👍
3FCFE883-8B50-4BEA-8906-ED84E6825B8A.jpeg

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
A little late response perhaps here but we came back on Wednesday after almost three weeks in Scotland and no problems at all, lots of sites were full but no concern to us as we wild camped except for one night.
Skye had lots of vans and I can understand why locals may be a little peeved but we met nothing but kindness and welcomes.
Pass of the cattle in a 6 metre A class no problem also, go for it.

Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
If you’re in the vicinity of Lossiemouth May I recommend this great site at Hopeman nearby “West Beach Caravan Park” it’s one of the best sites I’ve ever stayed on, we have a shore side pitch which we’re on now👍View attachment 425143
We are here now for 4 days having just stayed at silver sands. The sea view is cracking, but the weather is horrid, better tomorrow allegedly. Great site though.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We are here now for 4 days having just stayed at silver sands. The sea view is cracking, but the weather is horrid, better tomorrow allegedly. Great site though.
There’s a good cycle path to burghead (where the big malting factory is), it’s an old railway cutting that links a few villages together👍 If you’re lucky enough the seals and dolphins come quite close to shore, and there’s a couple of basking sharks there too👍

Sep 11, 2019
Falmouth
Funster No
MH
Rimor Seal 99 plus
Exp
since 2019
Walked to Burghead along the trail, then cycled it a few days later in the sun. Also walked east towards Lossiemouth along the coast trail, there are some awesome coves and sights that way, great surf and some big old waves.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have done it many times in a car and and been stuck behind A classes having to jockey around the bends, one in particular took his tow bar mounted bike rack off as he negotiated a bend and nearly lost 3 bikes and the rack over the Armco. Needless to say he was not popular.
even the snow plots in winter can get stuck.
why attempt it ? Is it a right of passage for Motorhomers ?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Took my Adria 7.2 metre A class around two years ago And would recommend going anti clockwise from the north, This would give the easiest route with the steepest section being mainly going downhill,
As you are unlikely to be overtaken I would fold my mirrors in, But I do have side and rear cameras on my vehicle and found the trip very pleasant,

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Please check out the new Scottish restrictions first which are about ton come into force.
With Cherub on this one....Looks like serious lock down stuff coming about in Scotland and throughout the larger areas of the UK

Kev :rolleyes:

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Without wanting to contribute to a Covid debate, I was a little underwhelmed when we arrived at Applecross after driving The Pass of The Cattle. I have seen far better beaches and my opinion only, the drive was better than the destination.:unsure:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have done it many times in a car and and been stuck behind A classes having to jockey around the bends, one in particular took his tow bar mounted bike rack off as he negotiated a bend and nearly lost 3 bikes and the rack over the Armco. Needless to say he was not popular.
even the snow plots in winter can get stuck.
why attempt it ? Is it a right of passage for Motorhomers ?

Wise words.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back