NC500 how accessible for motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Hi I'm considering driving this route next month. How accessible is it for motorhomes, I understand there are some roads that are single track which may require some reversing, is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
It is fab- but there are some narrow roads and to avoid making people behind you very cross you need to pull over in the passing places as often as possible. DO NOT camp in these ... there are plenty places you can wild camp or park without harming the reputation of mohomers . I drove to Slapton Sands recently and found that MUCH more tricky - narrow roads lots of small villages - more grey hairs. Scotland is in fact easier as you can see the road ahead further as there are not miles of hedges towering above you . Went last year to EC 250 and year before NC 500. Breathtakingly wonderful . Take midge repellant. Visit Smoo Caves. Joind the NC500 f book group for up to date info xx enjoy xxxx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
It is fab- but there are some narrow roads and to avoid making people behind you very cross you need to pull over in the passing places as often as possible. DO NOT camp in these ... there are plenty places you can wild camp or park without harming the reputation of mohomers . I drove to Slapton Sands recently and found that MUCH more tricky - narrow roads lots of small villages - more grey hairs. Scotland is in fact easier as you can see the road ahead further as there are not miles of hedges towering above you . Went last year to EC 250 and year before NC 500. Breathtakingly wonderful . Take midge repellant. Visit Smoo Caves. Joind the NC500 f book group for up to date info xx enjoy xxxx

Thanks that's really helpful, I have joined the FB group. I did see a picture of what looks like a hairpin bend at Applecross maybe? so I wondered if it was a bit too ambitious.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi I'm considering driving this route next month. How accessible is it for motorhomes, I understand there are some roads that are single track which may require some reversing, is there anything else I need to be aware of?
Single track roads,,if used correctly should not involve too much reversing.. thats what passing places are for but the numptys who think they can just drive past a passing place when they see you coming can cause mayhem.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Pass of the cattle at Applecross is definitely not for the faint hearted.... IN ANY VEHICLE...

OP
OP
R

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Pass of the cattle at Applecross is definitely not for the faint hearted.... IN ANY VEHICLE...

So is there an alternative route?

I did some pretty scary driving in the Canadian Rockies 2 years ago and it's hard to tell really from the picture I've seen if it is passable in a MH.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
So is there an alternative route?

I did some pretty scary driving in the Canadian Rockies 2 years ago and it's hard to tell really from the picture I've seen if it is passable in a MH.
Yes you can drive around coast to Applecross but if you don't want to take short cut over pass you have to retrace your route back.
Yes i would say passable ( WITH EXTREME CARE) in small moho

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
If you look on youtube there are some videos of motorhomes driving applecross pass so you can get an idea

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks that's really helpful, I have joined the FB group. I did see a picture of what looks like a hairpin bend at Applecross maybe? so I wondered if it was a bit too ambitious.
Go slow and you should be fine. What size moho have you got tho - yes the Applecross road is a bit bendy ! One way round is better than the other but I cant recall which way it is- sorry . There are u tube videos of people doing it ...
However you cant see it all in one trip so if you dont feel like a hairpin climb there are lots of other places you can dally in. We also went to Orkney when we were up North - that was utterly stunning and the standing stones and the ancient sites were very memorable. The trip to Cape Wrath [boat then a decrepit van ride for ten miles took over and hour] was also memorable but not in a good way....

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Applecross, at the moment I'd stay away as the locals are thoroughly pissed of with campers. They have had to close the toilets due to the mess. The grassy area was a right mess few weeks ago as tenters had left all their rubbish, tents, sleeping bags, rubbish etc even chopped some protected trees down for bonfires.

As for the pass, if a snow plow can get through in depths of winter, do you feel lucky ??

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Applecross, at the moment I'd stay away as the locals are thoroughly pissed of with campers. They have had to close the toilets due to the mess. The grassy area was a right mess few weeks ago as tenters had left all their rubbish, tents, sleeping bags, rubbish etc even chopped some protected trees down for bonfires.

I saw some photos of the toilets. They had been trashed. Hard to imagine the sort of people that would do such a thing. They have a donation system. I have never visited but I did donate.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back