Nationwide FlexPlus Travel Insurance with additional payments (1 Viewer)

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Like many we use the Nationwide FlexPlus account for Travel Insurance and also pay extra for age, medical and an extension of permitted days away. We pay about £20 a month in addition to the £13 account fee

We renewed the extensions in January 2020 and already have abandoned a trip to Spain, a trip to Italy and an intended trip to New Zealand in the autumn. I felt that if there had been a change to our situation, say a change in our health, they would have re-evaluated the policy and added premiums if required. I wrote to the Nationwide and also UK Insurance (who handle the insurance), explaining this situation, and asking for a re-evaluation. They have rung me this morning to say that they have looked at the circumstances and will offer me a refund of the additional payments, less the two months that occurred between the renewal date and the start of lockdown – in effect about 84% of the premium

If/when we have any plans to travel we would then start a new one year policy with them. I had expected them to offer a time extension from lockdown, until we were able to travel again. I think that their offer is fair and it will be made to all customers in the next few weeks, depends how long you have left on the extension policy

Fair play to Nationwide/UK Insurance

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
WARNING

Just followed the above post and requested a refund, Great news got £150 back of £180 paid.

BAD NEWS, just queried and found out that as we'd booked a Cypress holiday for our eldest's wedding last may and paid for age/medical NW top ups. As the original trip was booked before any signs of covid19 we were covered for May 20.

Obviously the wedding May 20 was cancelled But now rebooked for same place May 21, Without too much thought having seen the previous post rang and got the refund.

ALAS,

Rang back to check what I'd planned to ask about continuation cover and was advised yes as the Holiday/wedding was rescheduled had you continued the insurance and not cancelled and renewed at the 12 month renewal you would have been covered for Covid19 related issues.

Now all excluded no doubt.

Not a happy bunny

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
An underwriter told me I can't get life insurance today on my new mortgage. "Wait a few months and you can apply again once Covid has died down"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Like many we use the Nationwide FlexPlus account for Travel Insurance and also pay extra for age, medical and an extension of permitted days away. We pay about £20 a month in addition to the £13 account fee

We renewed the extensions in January 2020 and already have abandoned a trip to Spain, a trip to Italy and an intended trip to New Zealand in the autumn. I felt that if there had been a change to our situation, say a change in our health, they would have re-evaluated the policy and added premiums if required. I wrote to the Nationwide and also UK Insurance (who handle the insurance), explaining this situation, and asking for a re-evaluation. They have rung me this morning to say that they have looked at the circumstances and will offer me a refund of the additional payments, less the two months that occurred between the renewal date and the start of lockdown – in effect about 84% of the premium

If/when we have any plans to travel we would then start a new one year policy with them. I had expected them to offer a time extension from lockdown, until we were able to travel again. I think that their offer is fair and it will be made to all customers in the next few weeks, depends how long you have left on the extension policy

Fair play to Nationwide/UK Insurance
I had that 8 weeks ago,,,BUSBY.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Clickem when you say you pay an extra £20 a month is that for the age extension, medical reasons and time extension. I also pay £13 a month but pay for all extras in full I did not realise I could pay monthly for these.

OP
OP
Clickem

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I also pay annually, but it works out at about £20 a month, so after two months it is a refund that is about £40 less than I paid

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I phoned end March to renew mine and was told to wait until travelling was allowed rather than renew now and lose several months of cover.
Very reasonable I thought.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Clickem when you say you pay an extra £20 a month is that for the age extension, medical reasons and time extension. I also pay £13 a month but pay for all extras in full I did not realise I could pay monthly for these.
Ditto ! I am a new customer and when I spoke to the insurance people direct it was a one off payment for the whole premium which included the age extension £65.00 and medical history and 4 months travel. This would then give us cover for 12 months. I can only assume there is an option to pay by monthly instalments, but never mentioned to me.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I had the insurance with the same bank paid the extra for extended trips.
Paid in January rang uk insurance for a refund they said not possible.
It's up to the bank.
So cancelled the bank account not paying £13 per month no interest anymore.
Two weeks after a letter from uk insurance, now the bank account has been closed also the insurance is also cancelled.
So paid for the extension for nothing.
Laurie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back