Nationwide Flexplus account (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thought I'd post it here. We are in the process of changing because of the breakdown cover and also the travel insurance which a number of funsters have used and found good. As from early 2019 the travel insurance only covers you plus partner up to the age of 70 and not 75 . There will be an additional £65 annual fee to extend it. The monthly fee until then is staying at £13 so still good value. I spotted it on good old Martin Lewis. Won't affect us for quite some time!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2015
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726G
Exp
since 2014
The breakdown cover works, smooth as no problems. Not tried the health cover as I have another policy elsewhere that covers my ailments.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you keep £2.5K in, it costs a few coppers over £6 per month. Cheapest breakdown and travel insurance that works available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you keep £2.5K in, it costs a few coppers over £6 per month. Cheapest breakdown and travel insurance that works available.
Don’t you have to add the £13 per month account charge to that?(y)

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
Yes it is £13.00 a month but you do get £6.08 p interest added so just over £6.00. As Snowbird says.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Since we moved to this account in 2015 i have had 1 claim on a damaged iphone, all sorted very quickly.
The Health cover is not enough for me as they wont cover my heart bypass, even with an extra payment but valid for the wife and covers me for everything else.
Vehicle breakdown got used once with a flat tyre while when we were away and our daughter was using the car. I now use their cover for the motorhome and read some good feedback off other motorhome owners who have made claims.
The free overseas cash withdrawals is ideal for us as we are in Spain often and the rate has always been better than local exchange places.

£13 a month less monies earned on interest. Suits us well.. Plus we had the £100 cash back when we moved accounts so that covered all the costs for a while. (y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are other advantages with the Flexplus account. One of which is the worldwide no charge for ATM withdrawals. If you link a Nationwide CC to the Flexplus account you also get charge free payments. Its a bit of a no brainer really.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The breakdown cover works, smooth as no problems. Not tried the health cover as I have another policy elsewhere that covers my ailments.
We have used travel/health insurance,,,worked very well..Paid out with no hassle,,BUSBY,,

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It covers winter sports up to 70
Wondering if we will still be skiing then?

One of the guys in our group this year had to be brought down from the mountain after nearly tearing his leg off, he didn't take the extra cover you can get when you buy the ski pass, so had to pay upfront for all the medical treatment in Val. and then claim it back.

Then before he got back to Tignes there was an avalanche that closed the road, so he then had to book a night in a hotel in Val. And when he got back to Tignes the ski hire company wanted nearly €300 for the ski's, as he lost one when he crashed, lucky one of the other guys found it for him a day later.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The main advantage is that the charge free cash withdrawals are worldwide and not just in Europe. We have used it in Japan, Eastern Europe and the States without issues. A better exchange rate than local banks offered.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Just looked into this and found if you have pre medical conditions they charge you extra for cover. Had my hips done 8 Year’s ago so they want £150 plus to cover this pre medical condition. Also heart attack and stent fitted 12 months ago so no cover for this or any heart related condition. Has anyone else looked into medical side of this insurance.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I had an engine blow-up in Belgium and they got my van back and paid all my expenses .Very pleased with the service.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Okay, in order to get some dosh for your trouble, if someone with an account recommends you and you open an account via a link they send you, you'll get £100 and so with the existing account holder, then once you have got your new account, you recommend your other half and you both get £100 ... let me know if you want recommending. :D

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We used their breakdown cover in Luxembourg earlier in the year and it was as efficient and seam free as any major companies.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I contacted them about pre existing medical conditions and they are very clear about what they will and will not cover before you sign up . I didn’t want to open it and then find that all the extras made it dearer than our Lloyd’s Premium Account which has very few exclusions. Once you’ve done it they then hold the pre clearing info for 60 days whilst you dither. I didn’t want to set the changes in motion until after I had returned from New York as I thought that was asking for trouble.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I do have pre existings which I have to pay extra for, but no other insurer will touch me with a big stick for 90 day cover. As long as I touch down in the UK am off again for another 90 days, so it works for me. I have even used there breakdown cover in Serbia with no issues and they are not even in the EU.

Deleted User
One thing to note with the Flexplus account is that purchases in foreign currencies do incur a charge when using the debit card.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
One thing to note with the Flexplus account is that purchases in foreign currencies do incur a charge when using the debit card.
Use the CREDIT card and they do not charge for extras, just pay it off at the end of the month. I pay for fuel and other purchases with the credit card and leave the debit card in the wallet. unlike my Lloyds one which they are cancelling at the end of November for lack of use, It had charges for use abroad and purchases as well as withdrawing money abroad. Hence I never used it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lloyd’s Premium Account which has very few exclusions.
We use the Lloyds Plantinum Club account as well, wife is ex Lloyds so we get staff rates and only pay ½ the monthly fee, also covers you up to 80.
A friend had a serious head injury in Barbados relied on Lloyd account for insurance, after he got out of hospital they flew a nurse down from Canada to accompany him home and flew him & his wife home 1st class.

Shame their breakdown cover only covers UK and smaller vehicles.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just looked into this and found if you have pre medical conditions they charge you extra for cover. Had my hips done 8 Year’s ago so they want £150 plus to cover this pre medical condition. Also heart attack and stent fitted 12 months ago so no cover for this or any heart related condition. Has anyone else looked into medical side of this insurance.
Yes i disclosed my RA and replacement knee,,,my wife disclosed her tittanus ,,,,no increase but do pay £90 to cover us for multi_trips of 90 days,,BUSBY,,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Use the CREDIT card and they do not charge for extras, just pay it off at the end of the month. I pay for fuel and other purchases with the credit card and leave the debit card in the wallet. unlike my Lloyds one which they are cancelling at the end of November for lack of use, It had charges for use abroad and purchases as well as withdrawing money abroad. Hence I never used it.
Tell Lloyds your muslim,,,NO OVERDRAFT CHARGES THEN,,,BUSBY,,

Deleted User

Yes, I know:)

Happened to me when I paid for a flight in euro's and used the debit card to avoid the airlines credit card charge.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

For PURCHASES, use the Nationwide credit card linked to the Flexaccount.

Deleted User
For PURCHASES, use the Nationwide credit card linked to the Flexaccount.

See my post #25:)

I have the Nationwide credit card but mainly I use a Portuguese Santander Totta 123 card when in Euroland as it gives me 1% cashback which offsets the cost of their current account which is currently €6.50 a month.

I use Revolut to top up the Portuguese account and then do lots of transfers between the 2 Santander accounts as the 123 account will only let me have a €750 limit which does not suffice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back