Nationwide at it already? (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
So will I get charged for using my Caxton card to withdraw my own money I loaded the card with before I left the UK, and Caxton have been earning interest on?

I have also a PO credit card will I get charged commission/surcharge on this one ?

colyboy
Don't think so, check Brisey's posts on Caxton cards, my understanding is that they are the same as a Travelex cash card which can be loaded with Euros from your Sterling current account and then be used free of charge in many ATMs thtoughout Europe. Some ATMs will try to charge but it will be the bank ATM not Caxton making the charge. Use the search function on here to check the many posts on Caxton cards.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A lot can and has happened since the date of this thread...........Oct 19th 2010.

Thats 4 years old folks.
Doh!!!! Why do people resurrect these bl**dy old posts ....!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
A lot can and has happened since the date of this thread...........Oct 19th 2010.

Thats 4 years old folks.

So not much change there then, banks are still robbing us, even the ones we supposedly own. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings from sunny Spain,

I can only tell what I have done for this trip.
I have a Halifax Clarity card.
Before the trip (crossing Plymuff of St Malo) I put money into the card by simply transferring money onto it from my Halifax current account.
I was therefore IN CREDIT with my credit card.
On arrival in France I went into a local Spar shop where they had a stand alone "Hole in the Wall" machine.
I withdrew money thinking (erroneously read a little further on) that I was making a cash withdrawal. I then bought other stuff as the holiday went on and, every couple of days checking how the scheme was going on. PAY ATTENTION AT THE BACK!!!!!!
After a couple of days I looked my account on line and discovered that the cash withdrawal from the Spar shop had been treated as a purchase by the Credit Card Co. This information may be of use to anyone who doesn't wish to incur cash withdrawal charges using "ordinary" cards.

I have continued to use my Clarity card for both cash withdrawals and purchases and as far as I can see, they haven't charged me a penny in withdrawal charges or interest.

If anyone has any questions I'd be pleased to answer them on this subject.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
From
Broken Link Removed

"The following are not covered:
• Motorcycles, motorhomes, caravanettes, commercial
vehicles (all types), vans, pick up trucks and vehicles being
used for hire and reward purposes (such as taxis)
• Vehicles that do not have a valid MOT or are not serviced or
maintained in line with manufacturer guidelines
• Vehicles must be less than 7.0 metres in length, 2.3 metres
wide, 3 metres high and weigh less than 3.5 tonnes when
fully loaded" (my emboldenment)

DaveJen: - I'd really like to know where "7.5t" came from, as I'm desperately searching to change my breakdown policy with AA, which expires in early December. TBH, my van is only 3.5t, so I only want to get MH accepted - Gordon

PS I'm thinking of using NWide for personal insurance and, possibly, cover on the car, with a seperate policy for the van.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
When I worked in Spain I had a UniCaja account: if I tried to take cash from some other ATMs then they would try to charge me. :( I think "free withdrawals" are only a concept in the UK and there were some accounts (Halifax used to be one, I think) which did not allow free withdrawals from other's ATMs.

Read the T&Cs carefully - Gordon

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
This is the score with a Nationwide Flex Plus Account-No charges for a Euro Cash Withdrawal:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/flexplus/features-and-benefits

And Nationwide Credit Card Euro Purchases are also charge free.

Spot on and 3 per cent on all credit balances to 2.5K.(y)(y)(y)
The free credit card charges is only on the Select though the remainder have charges.
Nationwide exchange rate is the Visa inter bank rate of the day and is therefore completely clean and clear of charges.........................for this account. My recent ACSI bill was cheaper than last year at £9 something and £2 for the ACSI ID at exactly the exchange rate of the day.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Upgrade your Nationwide Flex account. Higher interest rate on funds up to 2.5k plus free withdrawals in Europe. Free breakdown cover and holiday insurance.

Job done

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Spot on and 3 per cent on all credit balances to 2.5K.(y)(y)(y)
The free credit card charges is only on the Select though the remainder have charges.
Nationwide exchange rate is the Visa inter bank rate of the day and is therefore completely clean and clear of charges.........................for this account. My recent ACSI bill was cheaper than last year at £9 something and £2 for the ACSI ID at exactly the exchange rate of the day.

So, they charge you £120 per year for looking after your money, but give you £75 back in interest. Good work if you can get it :rolleyes:.

Deleted User
Upgrade your Nationwide Flex account. Higher interest rate on funds up to 2.5k plus free withdrawals in Europe. Free breakdown cover and holiday insurance.

Job done

£120 a year , breakdown cover and holiday insurance no use to me because of trip limits. I have free euro cash withdrawals elsewhere for nowt!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Why should a Bank, which, after all is a business with every right to make money on their investments, be expected to provide very valuable services to the public such as ATM'S for free.

It doesnt make sense..

Jim

::bigsmile:[/QUOTE

Because they warehouse your money overnight and everynight to lend on the money markets and make an absolute fortune doing it yet pay you nothing

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006

Job done

And, as I said earlier:
"The following are not covered:
• Motorcycles, motorhomes, caravanettes, "

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
So, they charge you £120 per year for looking after your money, but give you £75 back in interest. Good work if you can get it :rolleyes:.

If you can find free phone(world wide), car breakdown(Europe Wide) and family travel cover( longer than thirty days the premium is pennies to add to up to 120 days) World wide and Extended Warranty cover on all white goods and Identity Theft and Immediate Card Replacement service (Worldwide) for £45 then you're a better man than me Gunga Din.:rolleyes:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
People seem happy to pay to have someone to store their motorhomes but don't want to pay to have someone to store their money... and build, maintain and supply cash machines all over the place so you can get at it...

JJ :cool:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Use N and P debit. We have had no probs in France, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Austria... And hoping not to have any in Greece next year..
They are attached to Yorkshire building society..
Good luck.. Mitch..

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Use N and P debit. We have had no probs in France, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, Denmark, Germany, Belgium, Austria... And hoping not to have any in Greece next year..
They are attached to Yorkshire building society..
Good luck.. Mitch..

I use N&P debit, but there are quite a few places in Germany that won't accept it, including some if not all Sparkassen.

:cooler:

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
We have 4 vehicles in our household driven by the 2 policy holders. Both iPhones are insured and holiday insurance on normally 4 trips abroad are taken care of. On top of that we get paid interest for keeping up to 2.5k in the bank. Yep your right the Motorhome breakdown isn't covered as its over 3.5 ton. That's a £68 annual fee to Green Flag through the caravan club.

The deal works for us

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have 4 vehicles in our household driven by the 2 policy holders. Both iPhones are insured and holiday insurance on normally 4 trips abroad are taken care of. On top of that we get paid interest for keeping up to 2.5k in the bank. Yep your right the Motorhome breakdown isn't covered as its over 3.5 ton. That's a £68 annual fee to Green Flag through the caravan club.

The deal works for us
This really wants clearing up, see other threads on nationwide, someone says they have contacted nationwide and mhs upto 7.5 ton are now covered , if this is the case it's a bargain

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
People seem happy to pay to have someone to store their motorhomes but don't want to pay to have someone to store their money... and build, maintain and supply cash machines all over the place so you can get at it...
JJ :cool:

I quite agree - I think there is far too much criticism of Banks on this forum

:doh:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I think you will find they are, if you carry on reading the document. Page 6. Section B. Vehicles. At the bottom - Motorhomes

Broken Link Removed
I've just been on the phone to Britannia and they confirm that motorhomes have been covered since September, but NW have been slow to change their website. So BARGAIN has to be the phrase! :D:D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't understand the underwhelming response to this, for moterhomers traveling to Europe this account appears to offer everything, breakdown ,say worth £80 , travel insurance probably worth at least £150 for two , never mind phone insurance and kitchen appliance cover at home, even if you havnt got your full £2500 in earning interest it's still only £120 for the lot, must admit I havnt got one yet but seriously looking at it £2500 in an isa earning zilch could knock another £75 off this in the account, am I missing something here.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
See what I mean, no interest ,pun not intended, in this , yet it must be the most money saving thing for moterhomers on here if taken at face value, other threads on here about breakdown and travel insurance recommend all sorts yet none of them hold a candle to this offer, someone please tell me what the catch is

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
This really wants clearing up, see other threads on nationwide, someone says they have contacted nationwide and mhs upto 7.5 ton are now covered , if this is the case it's a bargain

Can you give us a pointer to the thread Chaser, if accurate that's a very decent saving for us.(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Can you give us a pointer to the thread Chaser, if accurate that's a very decent saving for us.(y)

Doh. I really should read the whole thead, sorry mate, the questions been answered!(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I think you will find they are, if you carry on reading the document. Page 6. Section B. Vehicles. At the bottom - Motorhomes

Broken Link Removed

Ninovan. Certainly NOT in my docs but what a major bonus that is, many thanks for the up to date info!(y)(y)

Deleted User
The value of this policy would depend very much on personal circumstances eg:
From Nationwide web site.....
  • Motorcycles, motorhomes, caravanettes, commercial vehicles (all types), vans, pick up trucks and vehicles being used for hire and reward purposes (such as taxis) are not covered.
I have a pickup truck!!

From the downloaded policy document:

"Trip......... a pre booked continuous journey to the countries as specified within the
geographical limits of Section G which begins and ends in the UK within the
policy period and which does not exceed 180 days in total during the policy period."

The pickup is outside the UK for 9 months of the year!!. The pre booked condition would mean that you have to book a return journey prior to your trip.

Health insurance has a trip limit of 31 days, this can be extended at a cost but this insurance is also available on the Flexaccount which I already have.

For me the account is of no use but I can see that for many it is a very good deal.

I have ACSI plus breakdown cover which covers many of the things given with this account for 365 days at a cost this year of €89.50 (£71.36) on my Nationwide credit card.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back