National Trust Overnighting Pilot (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I think it's a great idea and hope it is soon rolled out to more sites.

I certainly wouldn't object to a £10 fee as I've had pretty good value from my life membership of NT which I purchased in 1973 for the grand sum of £30. (y):Grin: (I can't find a Smug Emoticon)
1624049577953.png
there you go

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
What law makes it illegal?
I cannot quote you the actual Act & Section Jim but in England you cannot camp on private land or public places without proper authority. Even the campsites have to be licensed by the Local Authority to permit people to camp, hence even the CL & CS type sites. Why do you think the CAMC sites are only allowed campers to stay 21 nights, it’s down to their licensing I was told by the wardens. Then you see the signs regularly on the seafronts saying no overnight camping, how could they say that if it was your legal entitlement to do so. You cannot even park a car on common land more than a set short distance from the road. Scotland has different rules where you are allowed to camp freely on land but I do think that was intended for the likes of walkers tenting on their journeys rather than the likes of vans setting up camp wherever they want. HERE is a link to a website which talks all about it

Reactions: Jim
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The parking is simply that, parking, not living in the vehicle. A big difference. I don’t know the answers Stealaway but could guess why

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Its back to the old conundrum of what is Parking and what is Camping!

Mar 22, 2018
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Since 2016
No mention of times to arrive or leave. I guess us members will get free parking either side of the overnight. I think it's expensive as aside from a toilet there's no facilities or any nearby attractions -- or even a bus stop
Arrival and departure times on the sign...? No attractions...? It’s Aira Force car park...stunning walks up the stream to the falls, Gowbarrow Fell just behind with amazing views over Ullswater, short walk along the lake side to Glenridding, pubs and restaurants, boats to hire, Ullswater Steamers to sail round the lake on. Right on the Ullswater Way - a waymarked route going fight round the lake, a good days walk or few hours run! Bus stop right by the car park with buses to Penrith, Ambleside...😀

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The parking is simply that, parking, not living in the vehicle. A big difference. I don’t know the answers Stealaway but could guess why
Do you still think it's a problem with travelers moving in? I thought they had introduced enough new law's to control them. Restricted stays to 24/48 hours just like France should control overstaying.
Another rediculous situation are height restrictions on any car park.
Are the height restrictions on park and rides another results of the fear of travelers moving in?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Arrival and departure times on the sign...? No attractions...? It’s Aira Force car park...stunning walks up the stream to the falls, Gowbarrow Fell just behind with amazing views over Ullswater, short walk along the lake side to Glenridding, pubs and restaurants, boats to hire, Ullswater Steamers to sail round the lake on. Right on the Ullswater Way - a waymarked route going fight round the lake, a good days walk or few hours run! Bus stop right by the car park with buses to Penrith, Ambleside...😀
The bus stop sounds good and unusual for NT properties. I have no interest in long walks anywhere. My wife also has problem walking at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
....... and my old house five miles up the road :giggle: :giggle:.

Mar 22, 2018
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
Exp
Since 2016
The bus stop sounds good and unusual for NT properties. I have no interest in long walks anywhere. My wife also has problem walking at all.
There is also now a pier right opposite the car park where the steamer stops...so could catch the boat either to Glenridding or Pooley Bridge as an alternative to the bus. Worth a visit just to have an evening in such a stunning location!

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Who decided sleeping in a vehicle is illegal at a place where it's quite legal to park for the night? And why?
I think you will find that the local authority has powers to create and manage how parking is used and charged for and as a result within their regulations they can prohibit overnight stays in vehicles. I am of course talking about municipal areas not privately owned or other landowners such as NT, national Parks etc.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
This is great news, 🤞it is a success and NT roll it out to other locations.

Not sure we would use this one currently as not members and it's not where we are planning to head anytime soon. But all of a sudden we are thinking joining the NT might be a good idea.

Have started using the reservoir stops in Northumberland, excellent, same price 10.00 pound overnight till 9am, then buy a day ticket if staying for the day.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Have started using the reservoir stops in Northumberland, excellent, same price 10.00 pound overnight till 9am, then buy a day ticket if staying for the day.
Can you provide more info about these reservoir stops, please, as we are heading towards Northumberland.

wheelie67

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
Funster No
MH
bailey
Exp
1 month
God's sake, are motorhomer's really that miserable and stingy that they begrudge a charity £10???

"Is there are discount" really?? are some people that desperate to save a pound.

What a sad state of affairs!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I cannot quote you the actual Act & Section Jim but in England you cannot camp on private land or public places without proper authority.

So if as you say the default position is that stopping in my motorhome overnight is illegal. (though to be illegal, you need to break a law)

If it is defacto illegal, why do councils have to jump through so many hoops passing byelaws and getting the correct signage to make overnighting in say a car park, illegal. Fact is, in this country everything is legal until it is prescribed as illegal. Now we're back to law. So what law do I break if I sleep in a layby or in a trading estate culdesac. What law will the police charge me with?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Come on Jim, you know that Wild camping is trespassing if you do not get the permission of the landowner so it is a civil matter, there is no specific law saying it is ‘illegal’ but because most land is owned by ‘someone‘ you should get their permission first, otherwise any responsible person without permission wouldn’t do it.

No specific law you say. So how can it be illegal? You can't say something is illegal, without pointing at the law you break :doh:

I'm not arguing the right or wrongs, just challenging those who regularly say that wild camping in England is illegal, when it certainly is not.

Last edited:

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Are people are ever happy

If you think it's expensive then dont use it and go else where

If NT had turned it down and said that they arent happy after considering it, people would of complained

As we all know NT are trying something new to help us which they don't or didn't have too. I'm happy to pay £10 as is seems like I'm pis&-(g in the ocean compared to £42k l've just spent on the van

Sorry, but it's only £10

Last edited:

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Are people saying its expensive or are existing members of the NT that already support the charity simply clarifying if they can overnight free on the same manner they can already park free? I dont think thats being stingy if they are already paid up members.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Are people are ever happy

If you think it's expensive then dont use it and go else where

If NT had turned it down and said that they arent happy after considering it, people would of complained

As we all know NT are trying something new to help us which they don't or didn't have too. I'm happy to pay £10 as is seems like I'm pis&-(g in the ocean compared to £42k l've just spent on the van

Sorry, but it's only £10
That's a cheap van compared to some , said from preloved 16 year old Fiat dicato :rofl: £10 that's not even a gallon of fuel in old moneymembers can arrive early one day have free parking then pay £10 for the night and stay te following day until moving on sounds like a good deal to me until some sparks stay for a week ⛺

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Who decided sleeping in a vehicle is illegal at a place where it's quite legal to park for the night? And why?

It's not illegal unless a byelaw deems it so. But give FLTs enough time to wind everyone up and there will be a blanket ban or a lot more byelaws

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Derwent and Kielder Reservoirs have day parking and overnight parking. Lookup their websites
There is anther one at Fontburn Reservoir as well.
We were on our way to stay there about a month ago when we found the road closed south from Rothbury for road works so never made it.
Can certainly recommend the Derwent Reservoir as it is amongst our favourite overnights. Theres actually a choice of 4 sites there...
One at either end of the dam, one at the car park for the visitor centre and a more secluded car park on the north side.
Image is of the southern end of the dam.

IMG_20210510_184011.jpg

If you search on Search4Sites with the reservoir names the details are there.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I am hoping the fee will be reduced for NT members and the start/finish times also waived

I would be happy to pay £5 a night to park on a grass carpark without any services -- and £5 for services if required.

Then we could then have proper motorhome facilities throughout the country.

The UK towns and villages are missing an opportunity to cash in on motorhomes stop overs.

service point.jpg

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No specific law you say. So how can it be illegal? You can't say something is illegal, without pointing at the law you break :doh:

I'm not arguing the right or wrongs, just challenging those who regularly say that wild camping in England is illegal, when it certainly is not.
Semantics 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back