National Trust overnight? (1 Viewer)

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
National Trust is a charity and protects much of our heritage and land from going to ruin or development. Why on earth do people want reduced membership and overnight stays for nothing. If you are going to donate to charity donate otherwise why bother at all. While I may not like all of their policies, I am quite happy to pay full whack and to pay a resonable charge for overnight parking in support of what the Trust does.
ezee
In 2019/20 the director earned just under £196k. You must be able to see why people wouldn’t want to be paying a charity money when they can afford to pay one person that amount? I’m not a member just because at the moment we can’t go anywhere. Have looked at membership but will likely get a membership to the Scottish one due to being cheaper.

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
In 2019/20 the director earned just under £196k. You must be able to see why people wouldn’t want to be paying a charity money when they can afford to pay one person that amount? I’m not a member just because at the moment we can’t go anywhere. Have looked at membership but will likely get a membership to the Scottish one due to being cheaper.
All businesses need directors to run them, look at the value of NT and look at an equally sized company and what the directors are paid, why would they work for less than the market rate, These guys are accountable to the shareholders / members and have to be as commercially aware as in other businesses.
Joe

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Did read it properly. If I get the Scottish membership, will I be able to use it in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 At no extra charge 😱😷

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
From memory there is a campsite at Stourhead which I think is C&CC or the other one. It's not cheap and you have to book months ahead, and then run the risk of the weather being naff the whole stay. There is plenty of space in the car park, but I guess they would see it as competition for the camp site.
It is a C&MC CL site and is not expensive bearing in mind the situation it is in I think we paid £14 a few years ago, it has EHU and you get exclusive access to the gardens when everyone has gone home for the day. As for weather that can happen anywhere so not sure of your argument :rolleyes:. There is separate space in the car park for MH's for day trippers.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
All businesses need directors to run them, look at the value of NT and look at an equally sized company and what the directors are paid, why would they work for less than the market rate, These guys are accountable to the shareholders / members and have to be as commercially aware as in other businesses.
Joe
If they didn’t pay as much in salaries then membership numbers may increase. They will save money by not paying such crazy salaries and be able to have more people interact with the organisation, which may not be able to afford it at current prices. More people may also volunteer if they didn’t think they were being used to save money while the big earners kept earning. Win win. Based on salaries in the trust I would never offer to volunteer. But I’m currently signed up to marshal the role out of the vaccine.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
If they didn’t pay as much in salaries then membership numbers may increase. They will save money by not paying such crazy salaries and be able to have more people interact with the organisation, which may not be able to afford it at current prices. More people may also volunteer if they didn’t think they were being used to save money while the big earners kept earning. Win win.
And if Tesco/ASDA/Sainsburys did not pay their directors so much I would get free shopping every week :rolleyes:

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
And if Tesco/ASDA/Sainsburys did not pay their directors so much I would get free shopping every week :rolleyes:
No point being silly and trying to make me look stupid. They’re a BUSINESS. Best of luck to them. A simple point to end my dialogue with you... we’re talking about a “charity” here. And all I’ve stated could be why people don’t want to be a member or offer services to volunteer. Have a nice day

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
It is a C&MC CL site and is not expensive bearing in mind the situation it is in I think we paid £14 a few years ago, it has EHU and you get exclusive access to the gardens when everyone has gone home for the day. As for weather that can happen anywhere so not sure of your argument :rolleyes:. There is separate space in the car park for MH's for day trippers.
Not arguing, there's too much of that on here!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
From memory there is a campsite at Stourhead which I think is C&CC or the other one. It's not cheap and you have to book months ahead, and then run the risk of the weather being naff the whole stay. There is plenty of space in the car park, but I guess they would see it as competition for the camp site.
I stayed on the CL last summer, it's ok with chem, water and EHU but £20 a night is little expensive with no discount for trust members. However I was told that you can stay on the car park for £10 a night. So next time that's what I will do. Access to the chemical disposal and water is easy, just inside the CL and if EHU is not needed the car park is large enough for you to park away from others and is fine.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No, Heritage NZ membership costs $200.
So Uk NT costs £72 for individual + £55 for English Heritage (over age 55 yrs) = £127 convert that to NZ dollars would be NZD242.20 at todays price so saving of £22.+

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
$200 Per Person or $350 per family (2 Adults plus School Aged Children)
So Uk NT costs £72 for individual + £55 for English Heritage (over age 55 yrs) = £127 convert that to NZ dollars would be NZD242.20 at todays price so saving of £22.+

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I stayed on the CL last summer, it's ok with chem, water and EHU but £20 a night is little expensive with no discount for trust members. However I was told that you can stay on the car park for £10 a night. So next time that's what I will do. Access to the chemical disposal and water is easy, just inside the CL and if EHU is not needed the car park is large enough for you to park away from others and is fine.

It is a C&MC CL so you need to be a member I think and from memory you get a discount but cannot remember how much now and if the discount was for NT or C&MC but think it was NT.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
A bit of background on the problems caused by people in the UK using the NZ Heritage as a cheap way to get NT/English Heritage membership and why the International rate is $200 vs NZ rate of $64.

Broken Link Removed

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
No point being silly and trying to make me look stupid. They’re a BUSINESS. Best of luck to them. A simple point to end my dialogue with you... we’re talking about a “charity” here. And all I’ve stated could be why people don’t want to be a member or offer services to volunteer. Have a nice day
Not trying to make you look silly but all this jealousy cos someone gets a bit more pay than you, remember if running a company you are liable if you make a mistake etc. I think a lot of people may have dropped membership last year for obvious reasons and we are not happy the way you have to book at 9 on a Friday to visit a garden but will keep up membership as they do keep up historical houses etc.

Having a wonderful day thank you and hope you are too ;)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
A bit of background on the problems caused by people in the UK using the NZ Heritage as a cheap way to get NT/English Heritage membership and why the International rate is $200 vs NZ rate of $64.

Broken Link Removed
It’s still cheaper though I understand their concethe.

Apr 4, 2020
North west Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I believe you can join the Scottish NT cheaper and has a reciprocal arrangement with English NT, other than English Heritage
According to a friend

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It is a C&MC CL so you need to be a member I think and from memory you get a discount but cannot remember how much now and if the discount was for NT or C&MC but think it was NT.
Yes, I know, I am a member of both the Caravan and Motorhome club and the National Trust, there is now a discount for members of either or both now.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Did read it properly. If I get the Scottish membership, will I be able to use it in England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 At no extra charge 😱😷
Yes, but you`d still need to pay for parking that is included in England & Wales NT membership

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes, but you`d still need to pay for parking that is included in England & Wales NT membership
Unless that has recently changed, parking is also reciprocal. As an NTS member I have never had to pay for NT parking. Since the NT introduced parking machines that scan members' cards and issue free tickets I have always mentioned at reception that I could not display a ticket, because the machines don't read NTS cards, and each time have been told that as long as I have a valid NTS sticker on the windscreen it will be fine.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
it would cause more problems than it was worth to allow overnight stops for a tiny proportion of the membership that are motorhome owners. I can't see it happening but it would probably lead to a few members from here joining me included.

I have a serious thing about waste of money in the charity 'industry'.
There are a lot of very wealthy people that take on the 'rest cure' that is chief exec. of a large charity raking in extortionate salaries. Why anyone is prepared to volunteer in these organisations giving their time freely while others are royally rewarded is beyond my understanding.
I stopped giving to the likes of Oxfam and overseas aid programs years ago because only pence from my contribution ever got to a deserving individual. Even local charities that I used to support seem to be expanding the paid management team at a phenomenal rate and then make ever increasing demands for support because they have a shortfall of funds to meet their objectives.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
It’s now £22 a night i believe. We paid £20 the last time we stayed there. It’s a lot for just the basics. But a nice location 🙂

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Its £21 a night now, just bookd for August. I dont think that is too bad when you have access to the gardens.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back