National Trust or English Heritage - which one for you ? (1 Viewer)

National Trust or English Heritage - which one for you ?

• National Trust

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • English Heritage

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Both

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
I know its November but my kids have asked me what I want for Xmas....sorry for the X word :(

Which would you recommend and why ?

Thanks..

Jenowen

Free Member
Aug 2, 2014
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
National Trust because your membership fee will cover parking and admission costs to fabulous areas of countryside and amazing historic buildings. Apart from the direct benefits to you the income generated means that the organisation can invest in the conservation and care of these sites, most of which it is pledged to look after forever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We had membership bought by our kids last year. We have had their moneys worth 5 fold. We hadn't realize but you can use it in Scotland - double whammy. We asked for it renewed this xmas. We even used their car parks for overnight wilding. Bargain

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
Depending upon your interests, there is also the Historic Houses Association.
https://www.hha.org.uk/join-the-hha/friends-membership.html

Friends membership costs about the same as the NT or EH and gets you into all sorts of interesting places, particularly gardens that you might not otherwise get a chance to see. The downside is that many of the properties are not dog-friendly.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We are life members of the NT (joined in 1973 Ā£30 :laughing:) and have been to many properties over the years and more so since going motorhomeing. AS said above the NT also owns vast tracts of countryside and coastal areas to which you get free access.

If you like ruins then join EH, but if you like properties with rooves then it's NT.:rolleyes:

Although we have never had a problem parking motorhomes at NT properties during the day it woul be great if they would accommodate overnight stops at some, even if there was a charge.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
National Trust for us although I think you can use Tesco vouchers to join English Heritage . We live near Stourhead so 3 visits and we've covered our costs .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Although we have never had a problem parking motorhomes at NT properties during the day it would be great if they would accommodate overnight stops at some, even if there was a charge.
We were allowed to at NT Stourhead a couple of years ago. There is a CL there, but we asked if we could park overnight in the huge car park (on grass) and the answer was yes. A note was taken of our name and registration number, and I think we paid Ā£5 or something like that - I can't really remember about payment, but if there was one, it was very small. And there were toilets, which I think were open 24/7.

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Just as an aside, talking about National Trust and English Heritage. The Trust is a charity, but EH is in public ownership, rather like the Forestry Commission.

And I sometimes ask myself, why do I need to pay 'again' to enter an English Heritage property, when we the Great British public - the nation of taxpayers - already own it!

And I get the same feeling when asked to pay a huge admission to visit Westonbirt Arboretum (Forestry Commission).

I must be just a curmudgeonly old so and so... :( ;)

Last edited:

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We joined EH a couple of years ago after years of having NT membership. A little known fact is that in the first year of EH membership you can get into NT properties half price and after 2 years membership you can get into NT properties free. Not sure that it works the other way round. Also EH have lots of half price deals with other places
As far as parking is concerned you pay at EH sites but they refund the charge when you go in.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You maybe save more with NT membership because their fees are so expensive, but their range of properties is less varied than EH. If at was me I'd go for EH because I'm not that bothered by visiting big houses with extortionate gift shops, which seem to form a considerable portion of NT's portfolio - I prefer the variety of ancient monuments run by EH. On the other hand NT often manage tracts of countryside, whereas EH tend to go for structures.

A little known fact is that EH membership can get you concessions on some historic sites run by local councils, as was the case with the site I work at. It all depends on what's been agreed at local level.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
And I sometimes ask as myself, why do I need to pay 'again' to enter an English Heritage property, when we the Great British public - the nation of taxpayers - already own it!

Because acquiring the property is a one-off overhead cost, whereas maintaining it and opening it to visitors is an ongoing cost. The vast majority of taxpayers who 'own' it will probably never visit it, so let those who do choose to visit it pay for keeping it open.

I work at a historic site owned by the local council, so in effect, paid for by local council tax payers (like me). Even if it was closed to the public it would still have running costs. If we let everybody in for nothing the local council tax payers (like me) would have to pay more for it to stay open. By trying to claw a bit of money back from those who choose to visit we lower the council tax burden on those who don't. It's one of the reasons why I object to free admissions on Heritage Open Days - I'm subsidising them :)

Something that niggles me about the National Trust is how they charge so much for entry but staff many of their sites with unpaid volunteers. Obviously we're free to do what we please with our spare time, but when you consider the ridiculous prices on their pot pourri and their jars of traditional hand-crafted weasel and hemlock conserve in the gift shop you'd have thought they might slip their guides a few quid for their efforts.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We joined both this year, but got more from NT this time around. Over the years have been members of both. Well worth the money as it costs a fortune to run these places. It does sadden me when it is suggested to buy an overseas one and use it here to save money. :unsure:

We have stayed at the Stourhead CL lovely and so quiet when everyone goes home, one night we were by ourselves! The toilets are open while the centre is open, so the close at 6pm.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Barclays Premiere Current Account holders (not a paid-for account), have free access to English Heritage properties.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Because acquiring the property is a one-off overhead cost, whereas maintaining it and opening it to visitors is an ongoing cost. The vast majority of taxpayers who 'own' it will probably never visit it, so let those who do choose to visit it pay for keeping it open.

I work at a historic site owned by the local council, so in effect, paid for by local council tax payers (like me). Even if it was closed to the public it would still have running costs. If we let everybody in for nothing the local council tax payers (like me) would have to pay more for it to stay open. By trying to claw a bit of money back from those who choose to visit we lower the council tax burden on those who don't. It's one of the reasons why I object to free admissions on Heritage Open Days - I'm subsidising them :)

Something that niggles me about the National Trust is how they charge so much for entry but staff many of their sites with unpaid volunteers. Obviously we're free to do what we please with our spare time, but when you consider the ridiculous prices on their pot pourri and their jars of traditional hand-crafted weasel and hemlock conserve in the gift shop you'd have thought they might slip their guides a few quid for their efforts.
Don't take this too seriously, because I'm not trying to wind you, or anybody else, up - but would you expect to pay to walk in your local park? Surely that requires expenditure to keep it in a fit state to be enjoyed by the public? But the local council will no doubt have decided it is a facility that should be of benefit to all; the operation of which is paid for out of LA funds (ie predominantly Council taxpayers). ;)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're members of both, have been for a number of years ago. Just a few weeks ago we spent a couple of weeks touring and visiting as many NT & EH sites we could fit in, and after taking note of what we would have paid as non-members, we easily covered our membership costs. Would have been nice if we could have overnighted too (we did ask but were politely refused) although we're aware a few places do allow it.

But we tend to take a wider, more charitable view of membership cost and look upon it as our donation to help preserve theses historical places (and some not so historical) for future generations. Perhaps we're more fortunate than some but we're never going to visit them all in what remains of our lifetime.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
And I sometimes ask myself, why do I need to pay 'again' to enter an English Heritage property, when we the Great British public - the nation of taxpayers - already own it!

And I get the same feeling when asked to pay a huge admission to visit Westonbirt Arboretum (Forestry Commission).

Same as that :rolleyes:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are members of both, mainly down to laziness and auto renew DD's o_O

but we do feel a bit of civic duty to help restore and maintain these sites, I know the NT are one of the richest organisations in the country, but so is the queen and we quite like her as well :)

on a point of interest, you can join the NT for Scotland for much less that the English derivative and get all the same benefits. I believe this might apply world wide, possibly even suggested higher up re New Zealand could well be even cheaper

must research the EH members having rights to NT sites though, really no point in paying for both if we don't need to

TBH hardly use either. but nice when away in MH to sometimes just stop when we see a NT signpost :)(y)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
on a point of interest, you can join the NT for Scotland for much less that the English derivative and get all the same benefits. I believe this might apply world wide, possibly even suggested higher up re New Zealand could well be even cheaper

I think joining the Scottish one to get a cheaper fee is fine as it still keeps our UK heritage going. Really don't think they should allow buying an overseas one if you don't live there.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
We have been members of the NT for many years and consider t very good value for money.We think it goes hand in hand with our motorhoming hobby.we have travelled to many parts of the UK this year and we have visited 14 NT locations ,this to us = good value for money(y)
Brian & Jo

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
EH = ruins & outside toilets
NT = tea rooms & gift shops

Of the two, I'd choose NT first, but there are some very good EH properties. Take a look at a map and see what you'd be able to make most use of. If you're more interested in castles, EH. I think there's a bigger choice with NT.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Scottish NT is cheaper we joined and also EH cos we got quite a few around us Hardwick Hall Bolsover Castle to name two but there are several around our area Notts.

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning šŸ˜Š
All this talk of NT vs. EH made me check the bank statement .....

Been members of NT for years, always thought of it as a charitable donation with the bonus of free parking in a few useful Lake District spots. But they are charging me Ā£63 per year for the privilege whereas Scottish NT will charge us Ā£38 for a year (one person, over 60). If the difference was just a few quid I might ignore it . . . .

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
We got life membership for both many years ago, few years after getting married.
Be useful evan just stopping for a picnic when travelling.
Means going out for the day is free and .ca visit a few places if close by.
Eldest daughter wants life memberships as a wedding present.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back