National Trust Membership prices and a visit to Sutton Hoo (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can someone explain why a Joint membership for a couple is £73.50
but an individual membership is £20.25..

I must be missing something.. https://join.nationaltrust.org.uk/join/start

Now for a moan..

Today we went to Sutton Hoo, now run by the NT (it's about 4 miles from our home) for a look round the shop and have a coffee ... just to pass the time you understand, . not interested in the exhibition and guided tour which costs £19.50 family ticket.. been there done that.. and not worth the money.. the artifacts are replicas, the originals are in the British Museum

All went well, we had a look around the gift shop then strolled into the cafe but were stopped and told we had to pay the entrance fee to use the cafe .. I said we don't want the exhibition.. just a cuppa and a scone .. then you must pay to use the cafe unless you are an NT member, then it's free .. yeahh ok I said.. walking away..

What a load of nonsense.. pay to use a cafe.. ?? I don't think so.. and the last time I darken the steps of Sutton Hoo .. what a rip off

Last edited:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi ScotlandJimland - had a quick look at this as it seemed strange:

£20.25 if you're 16-25.
Single over 69 is £43.50 or £58.00 dep whether you do direct debit or car
Joint or 1 over 60 is £71.62 or £95.50. Ditto

:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi ScotlandJimland - had a quick look at this as it seemed strange:

£20.25 if you're 16-25.
Single over 69 is £43.50 or £58.00 dep whether you do direct debit or car
Joint or 1 over 60 is £71.62 or £95.50. Ditto

:)
Sorry. Single should read over 60... !

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
@ScotJimland

image.jpg

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I shall have to consider joining that lot north of the border. I've just emailed the NT asking them the price of Senior Membership which is available to the over 60's after 5 years membership. WE only ever visit their properties when away in the van and that's not often enough in the UK to justify £95.50 a year. :(

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I pay £36.50, but I think that's discounted for over 60 and with long term membership...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We looked into joining and decided for so much money each year we could manage to live our lives without seeing any more old relics than we have too. :LOL:

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Yes - fine - but be sure you tell them when you are over 60 as they dont automatically reduce the annual sub to the reduced rate without a phone call .......

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Nor do they apply the reduction which applies when you have been a member for 5 years previously - unless you specifically ask them to!

I rang em cos they hadn't applied it to ours, and that's what I was told. Oh yes, it does apply to you, do you want me to reduce it?

Why else did she think I was ringing then? No, no - I'm thinking it's too cheap, I want you to increase it please?

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Members of the Scottish NT pay a pittance of £4.05p per month by direct debit hardly use it but they do good work so put it down to a charitable donation. Also some trust properties are considering MH overnight stays so worth staying a member.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oh dear ... I'm feeling ever so smug:D as I took Life Membership of NT for myself and a guest in 1973 for the huge sum of £30.(y)
That was a MASSIVE amount of money back then! You must have been rich!!! :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
National Trust of Scotland, much cheaper with reciprocal arrangement with (English) NT to visit each others properties..

https://www.nts.org.uk/Membership/Annually/
The only downside is that you get a much smaller properties book so if you intend to use it in England you might want to pay the extra for the English membership although obviously you can still see look up stuff on the internet.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Any visits we are likely to do are sorted online before we go away but there's always the last years English book to use should we join the SNT.

Apr 8, 2011
Coventry
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
3 years
Members of the Scottish NT pay a pittance of £4.05p per month by direct debit hardly use it but they do good work so put it down to a charitable donation. Also some trust properties are considering MH overnight stays so worth staying a member.

Ditto

Alan

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Not really ... to put it into perspective, about the same time I was fined for speeding which cost me the same at £30 ....... speeding fine now is £100 but NT life membership is well over £1000.
Not really! My first job in 1979 only paid £22.98 a week ... o_O

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..

overnighting, is that the scottish or english national trust that are considering that?

and back to scotjimlands original post, am really surprised that they wouldn't let you use the cafe especially at this time of year, can't imagine that visitor numbers were high that day, can understand that maybe in the height of the summer when they're heaving with people and coach loads that members come first, and it's not as if their food and drink are subsidised at all, far from, you'd think that they would be grateful for every penny that goes in their till, they're always bleating that they need more money for the upkeep of their properties..
and it's always been my understanding that you don't need to be a member to use their shops and cafes, have they changed their policies then or just at sutton?

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
The only downside is that you get a much smaller properties book so if you intend to use it in England you might want to pay the extra for the English membership although obviously you can still see look up stuff on the internet.

Yes the NTS book is very thin but I've got the NT app on my phone so we have all properties covered and we also carry the last NT book with us. The only occasional change from year to year may be opening times but there are not many changes.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
What a load of skinflints! The National Trust is a charity - it needs money to look after all its buildings and land- it does terrific work. I can't believe people are moaning about the cost of a year's membership which is less than a nice meal out, a tankful of diesel or a couple of nights in a decent campsite... or even attendance at a motorhome show! If you don't want to pay don't join, but don't moan about it being unfair!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Any visits we are likely to do are sorted online before we go away but there's always the last years English book to use should we join the SNT.
We seldom resort to the book these days as the NT app for smart phones is much better and more up to date. There is also a similar app for NTS called "Trust Trails".

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
nd back to scotjimlands original post, am really surprised that they wouldn't let you use the cafe especially at this time of year, can't imagine that visitor numbers were high that day, can understand that maybe in the height of the summer when they're heaving with people and coach loads that members come first, and it's not as if their food and drink are subsidised at all, far from, you'd think that they would be grateful for every penny that goes in their till, they're always bleating that they need more money for the upkeep of their properties..
and it's always been my understanding that you don't need to be a member to use their shops and cafes, have they changed their policies then or just at sutton?

yes, that is correct.. it wasn't busy, in fact when I looked in the tearoom was all but empty.. I've no idea about other NT properties rules, .. I asked if this were a new rule as we had been in before and never paid.. the lady said, not.. as we left I overheard another couple being told the same .. they also left disgusted..

I found this info about the tea room.

Sutton Hoo Tearooms
Tranmer House, Woodbridge

If you like a bit of history with your teashop experience there is nothing quite like a trip to Sutton Hoo. The site now belongs to the National Trust, meaning that if you are not a member you will have to pay to go in. However, if you are a National Trust member then your visits are free and unlimited.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back