National Trust Car Parks (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
We are thinking about joining the National Trust, as are planning on heading for Cornwall in a few weeks time, and believe that there are lots of NT places to see.
It says on their website that there is free parking on most of their car parks.
So, presumably this is only for daytime parking?
Does anyone know if any offer overnight parking?
Thanks.

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
I do contract work for the National Trust in the Derbyshire area and none of the places I work at offer overnight parking. The Grounds are locked overnight for security and I would have thought this was the case around the country.
Nidge

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Overnight parking not allowed on all their sites I`ve been to or looked at online.
Quite a few are also pay and display

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Being a paid up member of the NT has got us into loads of places FOC, some just to walk the grounds. Never noticed rules on overnighting but suspect it's not allowed.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
NT has lots of smaller car parks in Cornwall (and I suspect elsewhere) that aren't staffed out of season.

I've stayed on their campsite at Dolaucothi - went for one night, stayed for a week. Basic but quiet, lovely walks. Restful.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Have mentioned this before but have contacted the NT about making overnight parking available at suitable sites as a small overnight change would help to create some more income. They informed they had no plans to allow this, they do as said above have a couple of site where you can stay as we did once. Seems such an easy way attract more members from the Motorhome family. Maybe more Motorhome Fun Members could write to the NT and see what happens

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Quite a few are also pay and display
Still free for NT Members. Currently an annual parking sticker is issued but I believe they are phasing this out in favour of something new involving the pay and display machines.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We be stopped at some. Just asked nicely. Stourton has a cl
Indeed, Stourton has a CL. But, as you say, ask nicely (as a member) and you may be able to stay over in the field car park at Stourton - we certainly were.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
They are putting a strip on the membership card so you use the machine to get a free ticket.
So they can monitor member parking they say.
We got life membership years ago for both NT and BH.
Worth every penny, can stop just for lunch and a leg stretch and doesn't cost anything.
Most of the houses etc get locked up at night, but they do have some car parks in national parks although some have height restrictions.
Think most don't allow overnight stops but would not have thought they are monitored.

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
There are also lots of NT car parks by beaches. Many charge £4 plus for all day parking (not overnight camping though) but as a member we get to park for free. This in itself makes it worth joining.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There was a thread on here recently I think you can join the Scottish NT cheaper and still get the same benefits someone said you can do the same with the NT of malta and dead cheap!!!

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
They have agreements to allow each other's members to use their facilities.
Not sure how the parking will work out though if they don't get their cards upgraded.
You would be ok like now leaving your card in the window at car parks.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My other half is a NT member so she carries the window sticker with her whichever vehicle we're in and we park for free. They'll often ask to see the membership card as a back up.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
They are putting a strip on the membership card so you use the machine to get a free ticket.
My new card has no strip so I checked on line. It appears that the new pay and dislay machines will scan the QR code on cards.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My new card has no strip so I checked on line. It appears that the new pay and dislay machines will scan the QR code on cards.
Yes, the last couple of times that I have visited my card has been scanned on arrival

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Whatever you do don't try and park at the car park at the Lizard. I got through with millimetres to spare and it took 20 minutes to go 100 yards. Bit stressful to say the least.
Park in village ( leave contribution in box ) and walk to point that's best .

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We haven't tried any yet but the National Trust has its own campsites. Including 2 in Cornwall that seem to allow motorhomes.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lists/national-trust-caravan-sites
Thanks for reminding me about that. We were looking for a nice NT place to visit on our way south to the tunnel, and also a site to stay at for the weekend after the bank holiday. So now we've got both at the same time.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The thin end of the wedge. Parking at Clumber Park in Notts. is now per person. So a car and two people (unless both are members) will mean the passenger has to pay. So no longer taking a family in with one card for the car. How long before other places cotton on???

Stupidly, people can get out of the car, walk through for free and then get back in. This has been done as told to us by the gatekeeper!

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
No don't bother joining the National Trust .. Join the Scottish National Trust Instead .. Half the price and all the benefits (y) .. You could be very brave and join the New Zealand National Trust as thats even cheaper and also gives you free access to English Heritage Sites as well.

We have been members of SNT for a few years now. Never had a problem with parking or entry they just scan your card.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We haven't tried any yet but the National Trust has its own campsites. Including 2 in Cornwall that seem to allow motorhomes.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/lists/national-trust-caravan-sites

We stayed at the Teneriffe site on the Lizard a couple of years ago. It's in a stunning location and only about £15 a night.

The facilities were basic but clean although I think it was closed last year for a refurb.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We stayed at the Teneriffe site on the Lizard a couple of years ago. It's in a stunning location and only about £15 a night.

The facilities were basic but clean although I think it was closed last year for a refurb.

You can park at Kynance Cove NT Car Park if you are a member. There is a toilet there and the warden goes at 5pm .. Arrives back at 9am .. He said to us that he is not bothered what happens while he is not there as they don't pay him to worry about it.

On our travels we have found some really nice places to stay for a night you just have to keep looking (y) .. If you expect to find places by using forums then you can be very disappointed. You turn up and there are 10 MH's already there. If you do find something really nice then keep it to yourself. If you don't then it may be full next time.

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
I was told about the New Zealand NT arrangement but apparently you need an address in NZ. Our son lives in NZ so we could arrange that with no problem but does the NZ card cover you for the car park? If not then the cost could work out more if you use the car parks.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The SNT one works fine. Not had a problem with that. Someone told me about the New Zealand one and I looked online at the time but didn't see any mention of having to actually live there.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The most obvious approach is not always the best approach unless you contacted the NT from a New Zealand email address. All you achieve is to draw their attention to the fact that you wish to avail yourself of a loophole that exists as a by-product of reciprocal arrangements between heritage organisations in different countries, intended to benefit their members.
The NT have reciprocal arrangements with a number of similar organisations around the world, and the information is available on their websites but usually not that easy to find. Whilst they all have free entry agreements to NT properties, I believe the NTS is the only trust which has a reciprocal parking agreement.
The NT have previously indicated that they are aware of the misuse of the arrangement by a minority of people, and that they monitor the situation and keep it under review.
So, something best not broadcast widely IMO, unless you want to shoot yourself in the foot ;) Sorry, not intended to be rude but I think best to keep a low profile in the circumstances.
And yes, we are NTS members ;)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can we really expect the NT to allow overnight stay when they think they can dictate to their volunteers to wear the rainbow colours?
:rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back