National Trust and parking overnight...an idea. (4 Viewers)

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Yes, This article.
As far as invited guests go, in a caravan/motorhome it is OK within limits. The rules are in paragraphs 1 to 3 of the First Schedule as the article explains. They certainly preclude any scheme such as that proposed for NT premises in previous posts.
I don't know what the rules are for invited guests camping in tents/outside vehicles as I haven't studied that legislation.
Thanks GJH. Much appreciated.

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The National Trust is listed as a paragraph 5 exempted organisation
If that’s so, then it should simply be a matter of persuading them to change their minds! I know, I know, don’t hold your breath...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
No AGM this year but this is on there website...

While there will be no AGM this year, we value members' opinions and it is important to us that members still have an opportunity to ask questions of Trustees and senior staff. To enable this, there will be an online members' broadcast on 7 November. You will have an opportunity to hear from the Trust's Chair and Director-General and to ask questions.

Link here

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
All members should have had email notification of this together with a form to post questions

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Presumably they applied for the exemption or at least acquiesed in its inclusion, so why are they not using it?

Geoff
The NT runs several camp sites - https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holiday-lists/caravans-campervans-and-motorhomes - so maybe some of those are certificated rather than fully licensed (I haven't checked).
Presumably, also, they have made a deliberate decision not to allow camping at their other sites.

Certificated sites are not restricted, in law, to members (as I established 6 years ago).

Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Coachbuilt
Having been thrown off the ‘Giant‘ empty car park at the Giants Causeway alongside two other motorhomes on Friday, despite being a long standing member, I would happily support a collective additional fee and approach to NT. Hilary McGrady is the fairly new Chief Executive, worth writing to her first perhaps? NT is down £100m, making large scale redundancies, so you would think time would be ripe to innovate for replacing income. But they are a committee driven, superior attitude, crusty group so don’t an expect easy ride.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
GJH, you deserve a medal!

The campsites run by NT have capacity for, and accept far more than 5 units, which would suggest that they are licensed rather than exempted.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
GJH, you deserve a medal!

The campsites run by NT have capacity for, and accept far more than 5 units, which would suggest that they are licensed rather than exempted.
I don't know about a medal - an enlarged patience gland to deal with some other posters maybe ::bigsmile:

As I mentioned, I haven't checked capacity of the various NT sites. Larger ones will certainly have to be licensed.

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
I have written to them on more than one occasion asking them to look into allowing overnight parking as they are missing out of an extra income. Their concerns about litter, safety and a couple of other things are just a load of rubbish, a very few and I mean a very few might leave litter 99 percent of Motorhome owners abide by leaving a site as clean or cleaner. We have stayed on one site that they own and payed the fee I believe there are only couple in the whole of England that cater for overnight stays. I have asked on this site before for members to write to them to change their minds. A safe place to spend the night is high on our list.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I have written to them on more than one occasion asking them to look into allowing overnight parking as they are missing out of an extra income. Their concerns about litter, safety and a couple of other things are just a load of rubbish, a very few and I mean a very few might leave litter 99 percent of Motorhome owners abide by leaving a site as clean or cleaner. We have stayed on one site that they own and payed the fee I believe there are only couple in the whole of England that cater for overnight stays. I have asked on this site before for members to write to them to change their minds. A safe place to spend the night is high on our list.
I think many here would agree entirely. The NT’s objections to overnight sleeping will have a basis in genuine bad experiences and, as we all know, a small number of these can skew the true picture.

My proposal for the NT to consider creating a paid motorhome add-on to membership, charging for overnight stays and permitting these only for paid-up members means that the Trust will be able to exercise far more control over use of their car parks, potentially increase their membership and will also, crucially, have increased means to prosecute abusers.

However, as politely as I might approach the NT, one person’s proposal is unlikely to elicit a positive outcome, which is why I would encourage as many members as possible to make polite contact with the NT to make the same suggestion!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back