Nasty ! (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Cut a couple of Pear trees down some weeks back and was bored this morning so decided to log some of it for the stove, As I was clearing up with bare hands as usual I noticed something moving in the trash bag. I had picked this nasty sod up in my bare hands and deposited it in the trash bag. Lucky the bugger never stung as it was well alive and angry !

See the Stanley knife blade for size reference ! :):)

Might start wearing gloves :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
That looks horribly like an Asian Hornet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That was lucky. I thought they'd all gone'somewhere ' for the winter

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Don't let UKIP know

I've got bad news for UKIP then - it looks like a European Hornet (Vespa Crabro). I'm guessing @Charlie it was a big bugger with a red brown back?

Broken Link Removed

The one in the picture dropped out of the rafters at my rural workplace last spring and nearly landed on my head. It was waking up from hibernation but didn't survive the night. I took some piccies and looked it up online - turns out it was one of the first sightings in our area and one of the closest to Wales.

Somebody hasn't told them about Article 50.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Looks like a Queen Wasp to me (V.maculiferons ) and she was probably snoozing is some nice leaf litter getting nice and snuggly until you moved her you ARE lucky these sting first and buzz off much later a Hornet is about twice the size

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Looks like a Queen Wasp to me (V.maculiferons ) and she was probably snoozing is some nice leaf litter getting nice and snuggly until you moved her you ARE lucky these sting first and buzz off much later a Hornet is about twice the size

It was a Hornet for sure. I've seen several over the years in construction so know pretty much the difference.. no expert though but it was a big un that's for sure !

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I've got bad news for UKIP then - it looks like a European Hornet (Vespa Crabro). I'm guessing @Charlie it was a big bugger with a red brown back?

Broken Link Removed

The one in the picture dropped out of the rafters at my rural workplace last spring and nearly landed on my head. It was waking up from hibernation but didn't survive the night. I took some piccies and looked it up online - turns out it was one of the first sightings in our area and one of the closest to Wales.

Somebody hasn't told them about Article 50.

It wasn't that species. It's back was the same Yellow/black as its front.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We've had some big wasps in the static, brought them in with wood for the fire and the high temps woke them up. Pretty drowsy so easily dealt with.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Are they protected by law

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Cut a couple of Pear trees down some weeks back and was bored this morning so decided to log some of it for the stove, As I was clearing up with bare hands as usual I noticed something moving in the trash bag. I had picked this nasty sod up in my bare hands and deposited it in the trash bag. Lucky the bugger never stung as it was well alive and angry !

See the Stanley knife blade for size reference ! :):)

Might start wearing gloves :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I guess it was taking a snooze while you took the pics then yes:xThumb::xwink:

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Are they protected by law
No like wasps they are a pest. They destroy bees at an incredible rate. Was told this by a mate who is a Gardner and he stopped by this afternoon.
To be honest even if they were protected I would kill them anyway. Those things carry heavy venom that can be exceedingly dangerous.

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
We had one of those in our MH days after purchasing back in June .. ..

Me and the kids were in there admiring our investment .. saw it .. SHAT myself .. :eek: Was worried that mayne it nested but luckily no sign since .. ..

If you see one .. kill the dam thing, they are a hazard to our bee's

Happy New Year (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Defo a European hornet (native to the UK) and at this time of year it would be a queen in hibernation. They are great pest killers and in the summer unless you find a nest is in an awkward place (by the front door) they are best left alone and even encouraged. Fascinating critters. They are not normally aggressive unless you threaten their nest - when the defensive instincts kick in and serve you right. :xgrin:

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Defo a European hornet (native to the UK) and at this time of year it would be a queen in hibernation. They are great pest killers and in the summer unless you find a nest is in an awkward place (by the front door) they are best left alone and even encouraged. Fascinating critters. They are not normally aggressive unless you threaten their nest - when the defensive instincts kick in and serve you right. :xgrin:

Thanks John.

Reactions: DBK
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Might start wearing gloves :rolleyes:

Watch where you keep your gloves though :cautious: Last autumn I was pruning Roses and gashed my hand quite badly on huge thorn, it was enough to make me feel faint so I went inside for a while to get my self together. OH said more than a few times 'you should've worn your gloves'. So off I went again Hand bandaged up, into greenhouse to get the gloves, put them on and was stung on the same hand by a hornet which was in one of the fingers. It definitely was not my day that day. :cry:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Watch where you keep your gloves though :cautious: Last autumn I was pruning Roses and gashed my hand quite badly on huge thorn, it was enough to make me feel faint so I went inside for a while to get my self together. OH said more than a few times 'you should've worn your gloves'. So off I went again Hand bandaged up, into greenhouse to get the gloves, put them on and was stung on the same hand by a hornet which was in one of the fingers. It definitely was not my day that day. :cry:

I Googled the Asian Hornet after we see one, they say a sting is like being stabbed by a hot nail ?? How did it feel for you ?

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Well tbh I'm not sure what type of Hornet it was but it was huge and wasn't pleasant for sure. With two injuries, I didn't do any gardening for a while :D2

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well tbh I'm not sure what type of Hornet it was but it was huge and wasn't pleasant for sure. With two injuries, I didn't do any gardening for a while :D2

That would seem to be the answer. Don`t Garden!.:D2 I am on an attrition exercise, so far I have got rid of the Grass, Most of the "bedding", and have my eye on the Hedge, just waiting for the right moment!.(y). Sharpened the Chain saw last week!!;). I am heading for the Mediterranean look in the interest of water conservation:rolleyes:.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
That would seem to be the answer. Don`t Garden!.:D2 I am on an attrition exercise, so far I have got rid of the Grass, Most of the "bedding", and have my eye on the Hedge, just waiting for the right moment!.(y). Sharpened the Chain saw last week!!;). I am heading for the Mediterranean look in the interest of water conservation:rolleyes:.

Good planning there! After 33 years of making a beautiful garden I'm going to go the whole hog and sell up & let someone else do their worse. More Motor-homing - less gardening is the way forward, and if I feel the need for a 'gardening hit' I'll offer to do someone elses. :):)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Living in the Charente,we have the distinction of living in the highest populated area of France for Asiatiatic Frelon,or hornets. :eek:
It shows as red on a map of France with volumes.
We have seen tv and newspaper reports of three men,strangely all in their 30's who have died following an altercation with these feisty buggers!,
My neighbour had an enormous nest in his garden but refused to pay the fire brigade the €50 it cost for removal.Consequentialy we have had a few visits!!!
The department have decided to assist with the cost of removal to try and reduce the numbers.I believe we would have to pay about€24 for removal.
In my mind a small price to pay to rid us of these scary airborne invaders!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back