LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum for this ...

I have a music collection on my NAS that I like to play on my home surround speakers (via an AV amp). I TEND to use the music player on my laptop to send via Ethernet cable as my laptop software is the most flexible.

I am considering changing my Blu ray player to an "all singing" one that also plays/streams music.

My question is, Is there any difference in quality between an MP3 sent from a laptop to the amp than from an expensive Blu ray player?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I'm no expert on the subject, but I doubt you would notice any difference. The sound you hear will be principally governed by three things - the quality of the original recording, any losses in converting to mp3 & finally by the quality of the amp & speakers used for final playback. Anything in between is just shifting data about.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
That was one of the lines of thought I was thinking. The other though was that a cheap DVD player will play CDs but not the same as an expensive HiFi CD player ...

Yes, the quality of the speakers, amp and MP3s are all limiting factors, but they are pretty good and the same in each scenario.

Oh and the other thing was that the difference between the BR player I was looking at and the model below is that the sound is much better ... ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The reason DVD, Blu Ray, turntables, etc, etc, etc sound different is the quality of the components used to extract, process and output the data from the medium, eg CD, LP, etc......
If your using an av amp with digital processing (DAC) built in being fed by a digital output from the laptop \ blu ray player it's highly unlikely there will be any significant quality difference.
If it's an analogue output from the laptop \ blu ray player the quality of this could be different depending on the quality of the DAC in the source equipment.
Having said all of that, the key driver to sound quality may very well be dependant upon the quality of the source files as mp3 is a lossy compression of the original source file.

OP
OP
Vanman

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Thanks, I am now fairly convinced that the difference will be negligible but I've decided to go for the better model anyway because it's better in other ways ;)(y)

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
I'll start the same as TheCaller, I'm no expert but years ago , my first Ipod, I read on the net that mp3 files "cut out" the frequencies which us humans can't hear , the high end and low end stuff. All my music is now in mp3 format and sounds good. I now play my Ipod via my amp and speakers , used to have a record deck but that was a loooong time ago.
In answer to your question re NAS or Bluray , mp3 is mp3 and will be the same played via either, your amp will have the tone controls etc .
Reading this back it confuses me , but I hope YOU know what I'm trying to say:):):)
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back