Narrow Wheelbase

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by 6pm Cowboy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Ratings:
    +2
    I am just getting over viewing all the motorhomes at malvern. Mindblowing.

Most of them had wheels where you would expect them to be ( ie, one in each corner :Smile: ) but there was one where they were set much further in, probably a foot or more. Now I am not sure if this was because they used a particularly narrow chassis or because they had built an extra wide top on it..... but either way would having the cab and habitation area a lot wider than the wheels affect the handling ?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Ratings:
    +93,310
    Were these American or or European motorhomes you were looking at?

3. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Ratings:
    +2
    I looked at a hell of a lot of MHs and they get confused in your mind but almost certainly european. If I remember rightly they had 'Advantage' on the side.

4. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +13,394
    I think you were looking at a vehicle from the Pilote range. Usually built on Mercedes chassis the wheels appear to be a good few inches in from the edge of the body.

http://www.pilote.fr/en/gamme_en/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  5. oldlowie

oldlowie

Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy,

It was most probably a Continental coach-built motorhome such as a Chausson or a Rapido or a Hobby that you saw (there are loads of different makes, as you found out!). ::bigsmile: These are usually wide-bodied compared to British-built 'vans, (7' 6" rather than 7' 2") as they usually have fixed beds and a bathroom and shower alongside. Also, they are built on chassis cabs rather than perched on the top of a platform cab, giving a lower profile, sometimes without the need for a sticking-out step, just a cut-away that the bottom of the door fits into.

I have a Chausson on a Transit chassis cab with wheels around 9" inboard. The handling is superb, I suppose the lower overall weight distribution compared to a climb-aboard type motorhome, which I had previously, offsets the fact that the body is wider.

And before you ask, no, it's no harder to drive than a car. Just watch out for drivers of tiny hatch-backs who need to traverse the white line to negotiate a right-hand bend!! :Angry: If lorry drivers can keep to the left, why can't they?

6. Johno

Johno

Ratings:
    +38
    Hi 6pm Cowboy
    The Sevel range of base vehicles Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer etc are produced with a wider rear wheelbase and lower chassis height specifically for the motorhome market, where as Ford, Renault, and Merc' bases are a normal chassis designed for general use,this may explain why some wheels are further into the body work on motorhomes built on these base vehicles.

John.

7. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick

Ratings:
    +9
  8. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy

Ratings:
    +2
    OK (almost) always happy to be corrected :Smile:
    I wish I had taken more notice of what the MH make and base were but I think I was on mental overload by the time I got to that one. I was just wondering if it would affect the handleing and was something I should look out for.

Many thanks for all your replys.