Narbonne to Calais. What to see en route? (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
after a total change of plan due to such good weather in Spain leading to us staying longer, we are postponing our tour of West Coast France until another time and have ended up at Narbonne. Tunnel crossing is on Friday 29th so we have a few days to get to Calais. We are going via Millau, Clemont Ferrand...... But as I didn't study this area of France before leaving I'm not sure what is a 'must see' or 'must stay' on the way home. Love old towns, history, pretty villages, lakes, etc etc. Any suggestions welcome as internet is limited and I haven't time to do much research for myself now. Thanks, Helen

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
after a total change of plan due to such good weather in Spain leading to us staying longer, we are postponing our tour of West Coast France until another time and have ended up at Narbonne. Tunnel crossing is on Friday 29th so we have a few days to get to Calais. We are going via Millau, Clemont Ferrand...... But as I didn't study this area of France before leaving I'm not sure what is a 'must see' or 'must stay' on the way home. Love old towns, history, pretty villages, lakes, etc etc. Any suggestions welcome as internet is limited and I haven't time to do much research for myself now. Thanks, Helen
Very interested in this as we are doing the reverse route on the third of May (y):)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
There are a several lovely historic villages just off the A75 that are well worth exploring, with good aires.
If you look at my blog you will see lots of photos:-
Blesle,
https://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com/2016/04/16/a-beaux-village/

Le Malzieu-Ville,
https://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com/2015/10/05/should-we-go-or-should-we-stay/

La Couvertoirade, https://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/france-2014-second-helpings/

You may have to 'fast forward' through the blog to find the bit you want.

I have put a video of Le Malzieu-Ville on my YuTube channel:-

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We stopped off at a very pretty village called La Canourgue,
44.433416, 3.211759 44°26'00.3"N 3°12'42.3"E
There is a free Aire there and it is just off the A 75 about 120 miles south of Clermont Ferrand and about 30 miles north of Millau.

The village is classified as a 'Village étape' which means that it has "all the basic services required by a traveller
  • Population under 5000
  • A range of "basic" shops (butcher, baker, newsagent, grocer)
  • A range of varied eating places
  • A classified hotel
  • A Tourist Information Point or Centre
  • A shaded parking area
  • A telephone
  • A picnic area
  • Public toilets
  • A Cash machine"

20160331_190254.jpg

IMG_20160331_173118.jpg

The village is surrounded by hills and all the streams seem to run under the buildings to this central point to form a river.
Nice Boulangerie just round the corner.

OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
@namwaldog thankyou. Spent a lovely afternoon and eve in La Canourgue. Such a lovely place.

@Clarky thankyou also. We are currently sitting eating croissants from the artisan boulangerie after exploring the medieval old town. What a stunning place.

I am so glad I started this thread now. We would have undoubtedly missed these 2 places and just stayed on the main road if it hadn't been for you guys.

As we don't want to get too far up France until Thursday this is what we shall be doing for the next few days, exploring places like these so keep the suggestions coming.

Oh and although it is sunny with blue skies mostly, it is a bit of a shock to have temps of 0 and 1 degree with the odd snowflake after being in temps of 28 degrees a few hundred miles back!

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
Millau is a great place to stop there are a couple of nice sites on the river easy walk into town.

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Millau is a great place to stop there are a couple of nice sites on the river easy walk into town.
Agree Millau a favourite and don't forget centre under the bridge to see how it was built..fascinating.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Also very interested as we're doing the reverse in June. Heading for Barcelona before our 2 weeks in France.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Near to Clermont-Ferrand you have the Puy de Dome, a relatively extinct volcano (last eruption a mere 9,000 years ago) that you can ascend by foot, bike or electric train for some breathtaking views of the surrounding terrain. Also various things on the summit to keep your interest including loonies jumping off it with hang gliders and the like. You can park overnight in the MH parking area. Just down the road from there is Vulcania, a volcano-themed visitor attraction which is a bit different to most. They have a purpose built aire.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Very nice 88 mm Flack (anti-tank) emplacement on the road between Narbonne Plage and the town, with a fixed position for a Flackpanzer 1V Wirbelwind on the cliff overlooking the beach. Well worth a visit. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back