Name changed from 'Burstner' to 'Barclaybasher' (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I changed my forum name from Burstner to Barclaybasher about a month ago, I would like to explain………….

I became Barclaybasher in 1999 after being sent a statement from Barclays Bank showing an overdrawn balance of £98,734.52 on an account that should not even have existed

Barclaybasher has been my only on-line name since 1999, including email, eBay and other forums.

From 2010 I was the full time carer for my wife, Wanda, who had been diagnosed in 2008 with MSA, a terminal condition with no cure or treatment.

We hadn’t owned a MH since 1996. I bought the Burstner in 2011 when travelling by air became impossible for her so that whatever time we still had was not just spent at home.

Buying the motorhome was special, just about us, not Barclays Bank, so I chose Burstner as my forum name when I joined FUN in 2012 instead of using Barclaybasher.

We had some great times, over 10,000 miles in the first year including trips to France and Spain.

As the MSA progressed even getting into the van became impossible and sadly after 44 years together Wanda passed away a year ago.

I sold the Burstner in July, not intending to buy another MH but saw the Eriba and bought it on impulse. I am still not sure whether the desire to use the van is there but I will give it a go.

Having sold the Burstner it seemed logical to change my forum name…….….as I have good reason, even this year, to carry on complaining about Barclays I chose, to revert to Barclaybasher

Thank you for reading....................

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Sure as hell Barclay's could not care about your angst.
I doubt anyone here does.
So why not stop the angst and be nice Mr Eriba and enjoy life.

Good advice............. too much damage done though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I dont know Brian. When you have a name that you are known by everywhere (like Makems) on ebay, email, Fun, Facts (spit) and dozens of other places it makes sense (to me) to keep it/use it. Makes life simpler

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
I apreciate your feelings re Barclays Vic, when I was 19 I was persecuted by the then Midland bank stating that my account was overdrawn even though it was in credit.

After many months of anxiety and promises to end the farce they then took me to court, at which point I was found in favour of, awarded a sum of money and Midland bank were told by the court that their conduct was unacceptable, then returned home to find another 3 threatening letters on the door mat.

To this day I detest that name and still wish I could heap on them what they put me through.

Warped, bitter and twisted, you betcha.

Keep bashing them as long as it suits you.

Vic.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Most banks are the same I reckon. All are fine while you have cash in the bank but are horrible when it's the opposite.

When I first started work I was badly overdrawn and ' invited' in for a meeting with the manager.

He had a real go at me until I said that he needs to understand economics , namely that I get paid in arrears but spend in advance so he shouldn't get hung up about the overdraft.

He burst out laughing shook my hand and I never had a problem with him or his bank ( Natwest) again.

When I was a student I was hauled in and the manager demanded my cash card. I had just put it through the washing machine by mistake so it was a mangled mess.

I passed it over to him and he looked at it and said " Well I suppose it has had a lot of use".

I did laugh at that

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I changed my forum name from Burstner to Barclaybasher about a month ago, I would like to explain………….

Now Siân, holds a grudge. I fell out with a business partner about 30 years ago, not seen the bastard since. But..if I met him now, I'm pretty sure we'd shake hands and have a beer. Not Siân, she'd whack him with anything she had to hand at the time, she's been mad about it for thirty years. Me, it's all forgotten, yes he was a shit, but I feel to spend even a moment thinking about him is a total waste of my life. My advice, forget it, change your name and move on, IMO, life really is too short to be bitter for any time at all. Feel free to ignore my advice; my wife does.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I used to bank with Lloyds as they gave me a good welcome when I was a student. When I moved to another area I couldn't bank with them so transferred my account to a local bank,they transferred my deposit AND current account without any accompanying documents to identify them,consequently it all went into a current account. Some years later I received a letter from them that I hadn't cashed a 'managers cheque' sent to me-what cheque when? I wrote to them and they sent me another cheque-unsigned. I informed them of this error and they said I had to take it in to be signed! So I went to the branch when traders were paying in their takings and they were trying to keep it quiet I didn't whisper nor shout just spoke in my usual stentorian tones. The final shot was that I wanted the money now IN CASH!
There is good and bad in all banks. I never considered Barclays as they had strong connections with apartheid South Africa.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
In the early days of computors, our Mortgage was something like NZ$200 month, we moved to a new area, a new mortgage, First month NZ$200, 2nd month NZ$400, 3rd month NZ$8OO, we picked it up and went to the Bank, we were "granted " an interview with no less a high flyer than "THE ASSISTANT MANAGER" This guy had the right Haircut, the right tie, suit, cuff links, deodourent, this fella had "COMPANIES MAN" Tattooed on his very being!
We explained the situation, showed him the bank statements and told him the payments were being doubled up every month, THE COMPUTOR WAS WRONG!!!
No no he said! the computor is never wrong says he!
After an half hour or so he finally got it, The Payments were doubling every month, and it was the COMPUTOR PROGRAM that was to blame!
"Ah! I see! the payment is being doubled every month, the Computor is at fault!!!"

Maureen leaned over the desk, ruffled his immaculate hair, and said "What a clever little sausage pot you are!"

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Now Siân, holds a grudge. I fell out with a business partner about 30 years ago, not seen the bastard since. But..if I met him now, I'm pretty sure we'd shake hands and have a beer. Not Siân, she'd whack him with anything she had to hand at the time, she's been mad about it for thirty years. Me, it's all forgotten, yes he was a shit, but I feel to spend even a moment thinking about him is a total waste of my life. My advice, forget it, change your name and move on, IMO, life really is too short to be bitter for any time at all. Feel free to ignore my advice; my wife does.

Caroline is the same Jim, she still knows the name, date and time of the first kid that hurt our son who is now 36. :doh::whistle2:

I agree life is too short, etc, I am pretty happy-go-lucky by nature, but I am sure there is still a small dark place in the heart than can handle a little bit of despising without ruining the rest of life.

Hymie.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you've now got an Eriba ... how about "Speedy Gonzales" ... he used to constantly be saying ".... arriba" ... :D:imoutahere:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
sorry about your loss. I hope you can move on and enjoy the new van, come to a few get together, you would be surprised how many are in your boat.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Now Siân, holds a grudge. I fell out with a business partner about 30 years ago, not seen the bastard since. But..if I met him now, I'm pretty sure we'd shake hands and have a beer.

Not simply a grudge Jim

Agreement through the High Court to settle a dispute was reached in 1997 - a fixed sum to be paid on our deaths - mine and Wanda’s

In 1998 Barclays tried to include clauses in the High Court Order that would add interest - I stopped them, or thought I did

In 1999, by accident I discovered the £99k ‘phantom overdraft’ with interest being added

Wanda, who was party to the agreement with Barclays sadly passed away on 1st September 2013

My 3 children were all under 10 years old when the ‘agreement’ was signed in 1997 and would not understand the problems that might be left after my death**

I wrote, in connection with that agreement, to Barclays Head Office in October 2013

**As if I needed a prompt - I had a heart attack and immediate, emergency angioplasty in December

Rather than reply properly, Barclays chose to try and intimidate me and twice wrote suggesting that I might be in breach of ‘its clause’ included in the High Court Order- breaking its agreement - just as I believed it had always planned and previously tried to do.

Both letters were written in December 2013 and January 2014 on behalf of and on the authority of Antony Jenkins, CEO, Barclays Bank Plc

After I challenged Barclays and wrote to my MP it moved to saying that it will now keep to its original agreement…………..but will it ? - it has made the same promise before…

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back