Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Insurance due at end of month so select a few companies to call based very much on feedback on this forum. First call is N F U , well recommended and a local office. First question is, "What is your postcode"? . I give it, "sorry we can't offer insurance in that post code", I respond that the vehicle is not kept there and any way it is the post code for a market town, no nearby cities etc and also that their local office almost shares the same post code, last letter is different. Fell on stony ground, no quote will be given. I accept that some areas will be difficult to insure but really. Won't be asking them again.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes,sometimes there seems to be no logic in how they do business,but they will have their own reasons.
I’m with Comfort and they seem good,but haven’t had a claim.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The post code is the main thing that determines premium, you generally give the post code for where it is normally stored..

but in any case if computer say No .. that's it ..

I used NFU for many years with an RV, no claims, then asked for a quote for my Hymer and the premium was exorbitant .. clearly didn't want my business

Use Comfort now..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I reckon that question is really meant as a polite statement.. ..we don't want motorhome business.

I don't think that that's the case as they couldn't have been more helpful when we approached them just two months ago. We took the policy out with them.

Its very odd that they decline to give the OP a quote. I wonder if it depends on the branch? We were recommended to call the Chichester branch specifically. It might be worth giving them a call?

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I call NFU Mutual one year. First question is your car insured with us, when I answered no they said that means we can't insure your motorhome. I stayed with Comfort.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had no trouble getting ours done with N F U, their price beat the C&MCs quote hands down. They even threw in free breakdown cover that I didn't want because we are with Green Flag.

Jul 22, 2017
Taunton, Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Starting to understand
I've just done mine through Adrian Flux, could not be happier, have been with Saga for years but just to expensive this time.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are with NFU Spalding no probs and very competitive. I think post code can have a lot to do with it ie South Leicester/Market Harborough may be a high risk area according to insurance statistics ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I call NFU Mutual one year. First question is your car insured with us, when I answered no they said that means we can't insure your motorhome. I stayed with Comfort.
The first insurance I took with NFU was for a motorhome some years ago ... since then they have continued to cover our motorhomes and in the meanwhile I have taken all my car insurance, home & contents insurance and travel cover over to them... so far with no problems.
images

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I got a quote with NFU Mutual, but they won't give me breakdown cover??

All I can say is that WE were offered/told it was included, we said we didn't want it, they said well it's there if you need it.
We don't need it, we have Premium Cover from Green Flag, top cover, all the bells and whistles for about £GB 140 or so. This covers ANY car we are in, and gives us peace of mind when driving our 1993 M/Home.
We have heard horror tales from our friends about AA and RAC trying to be recovered. One friend with the AA broke down, the AA Recovery turned up, the first thing the AA Recovery driver did was run a tape measure over his M/H, then told him he was 200 mm over length! to be recovered under the AA recovery scheme!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes,sometimes there seems to be no logic in how they do business,but they will have their own reasons.
I’m with Comfort and they seem good,but haven’t had a claim.

Comfort would not cover me because i park in the car park to the rear of my flat,,BUSBY.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Sedge well remembers having an argument with an insurer, who refused Flood cover on a business premises at the top of a hill - from whence it dropped down and bottomed out at the river bridge in Bewdley. It's a couple of miles - quite possibly why the name of the road is 'Long Bank' she thinks. She even printed out the OS map showing the contours, with the building printed upon it.

But nope - we don't cover this postcode because it's in a river valley and therefore far too much at risk.

She's been waiting for the Wyre Forest to disappear under the water of the new lake ever since!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back