N 500 (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Thinking of doing the N500 anticlockwise (been told thats the best way), seen a program the other week on this route and the impression I got was that MH owners aren't that welcome up there now due to the popularity of motorhomes under the present climate, has any body been up there and found this true?

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Obviously be sensible, but we never encountered anything but hospitality on our travels.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Did it with friends ; mainly pre booked campsites but also used the forestry stopovers and park for night. It was stunningly beautiful everywhere and people were very friendly . You will love it x

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I’m currently on a site in Gairloch but no intention of doing the NC500 at the moment. The place is absolutely stuffed with motorhomes. Interestingly that a very large proportion are rentals

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
As always in life, behaviour towards others is usually reciprocated.

As long as you are friendly and respectful, never an issue. In my experience those experiencing hostility, usually deserve it.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Did it earlier this year (May/June) for the umpteenth time. Anti-clockwise as far as Ullapool and then across to Bonar Bridge. On balance, we prefer clockwise, that way you are driving on the coast side of the road and aren’t having traffic coming the other way obstructing the view!

Jan 7, 2010
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We hear from friends who live near the NC500 that Applecross is asking to be removed from the route.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We did parts of it three weeks ago. We encountered no animosity at all. All businesses were delighted to see us and economic problems from local population.

Go, and enjoy it! (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We did parts of it three weeks ago. We encountered no animosity at all. All businesses were delighted to see us and economic problems from local population.

Go, and enjoy it! (y)
Bl**dy spellchecker.

Should have said no problems from local population.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Had it all planned to leave this Monday to do NC500+Skye and including Applecross.
Postponed it at the last minuet and now going to Cornwall and Devon..................bloody pasty thread to blame.
Oh BTW, i am going on a bike.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
I’m currently on a site in Gairloch but no intention of doing the NC500 at the moment. The place is absolutely stuffed with motorhomes. Interestingly that a very large proportion are rentals
Agreed. We are up here atm slowly moving south on our journey home. Have to say it was very busy with Motorhomes up and around the 500 route, although we wasn’t doing it ourselves, just in the toad having a mooch about around John o’ Groats and along the top to Bettyhill. Every campsite we wanted to be on in the highlands we’re fully booked, even though all kids are back at school. We have ended up near Perth on a CL we came to last year and it’s lovely and peaceful 😊

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Had it all planned to leave this Monday to do NC500+Skye and including Applecross.
Postponed it at the last minuet and now going to Cornwall and Devon..................bloody pasty thread to blame.
Oh BTW, i am going on a bike.
Morning Bob, we are currently down in Cornwall, Chris my wife is from Falmouth with lots of family still living here so we know the area pretty well, we love it down here but as a biker I would suggest this isn't the best area for touring on a bike.
Perhaps it's the motorway journey from Cheshire to get here that puts me off (unless you come down through The Cotswolds).
Yes the scenery on some of the coast roads are stunning, the B3306 from St Ives down to Sennen was featured as one of the most scenic roads in Britain.
We drove down to The Lizard yesterday and I was thinking lovely as it is I would rather make this journey in a car rather than my bike, whatever just my thoughts, I hope you have a fabulous time.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Morning Bob, we are currently down in Cornwall, Chris my wife is from Falmouth with lots of family still living here so we know the area pretty well, we love it down here but as a biker I would suggest this isn't the best area for touring on a bike.
Perhaps it's the motorway journey from Cheshire to get here that puts me off (unless you come down through The Cotswolds).
Yes the scenery on some of the coast roads are stunning, the B3306 from St Ives down to Sennen was featured as one of the most scenic roads in Britain.
We drove down to The Lizard yesterday and I was thinking lovely as it is I would rather make this journey in a car rather than my bike, whatever just my thoughts, I hope you have a fabulous time.
Thanks for the tips Rob.
I was down there about 3 years ago on my BMW RT LE and simply loved it. Was based in the Bedford Hotel Tavistock and did a different ride out each day. This time i have booked a hotel just west of Exeter and will do similar run outs.
As you will know the M/way down is only 4 hours, so on the Goldwing i will put the cruise on and have a kip.
AND i have to find the pasty shop in Bude again we went to when we were down there in the MH and hired car. Now this place really do have the best pasty's in the W...O...R...L....D:LOL:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Thanks for the tips Rob.
I was down there about 3 years ago on my BMW RT LE and simply loved it. Was based in the Bedford Hotel Tavistock and did a different ride out each day. This time i have booked a hotel just west of Exeter and will do similar run outs.
As you will know the M/way down is only 4 hours, so on the Goldwing i will put the cruise on and have a kip.
AND i have to find the pasty shop in Bude again we went to when we were down there in the MH and hired car. Now this place really do have the best pasty's in the W...O...R...L....D:LOL:
Ahh you are in Jam on top world a good run down the A30 to get to the best Pasties;).
The sun is cracking the flags here in Falmouth today, have seen a group of guys on British bikes and other classics the last few days, possible a VMCC local section out having fun.
Let's be honest if you are out on a bike it's a good day.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Back to the original NC500 post. Just remember that the locals and delivery drivers have to get on with their everyday life. Be respectful, use passing places to allow other traffic to overtake, try to cause no obstructions.

You should have no problems at all, especially September and October, just take your time and enjoy.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Ahh you are in Jam on top world a good run down the A30 to get to the best Pasties;).
The sun is cracking the flags here in Falmouth today, have seen a group of guys on British bikes and other classics the last few days, possible a VMCC local section out having fun.
Let's be honest if you are out on a bike it's a good day.
Correct. And on a bike there are no traffic jams so one can get from A2B a damn sight quicker, therefore seeing more places. Cornwall is a mere twist of the throttle away.
Hope the cars are still around from Tuesday as that's my second passion.

OP
OP
TONCAZ
Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Did it earlier this year (May/June) for the umpteenth time. Anti-clockwise as far as Ullapool and then across to Bonar Bridge. On balance, we prefer clockwise, that way you are driving on the coast side of the road and aren’t having traffic coming the other way obstructing the view!
Thanks for that, was recommended anti clock, but what you have said makes sence, thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back