Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
B544 Classic A class, 2003.

I've been trying to track the source of this leak for over a year now. The top of the dash on the rhs just under the bottom corner of the windscreen is getting very wet in heavy rain.

The only way I found to cure it last year was to apply Sticks Like Sh*t clear sealant to the top and bottom edges of the outside of the windscreen rubber over almost the entire right hand side of the screen.

But the Sticks Like Sh*t perished in the sun after a few months, so I applied Indasa black windscreen sealant to the upper and lower corners. It's supposed to be good stuff, but horribly messy to work with.

I thought everything was okay, but we had a dry summer and now the autumn rains have arrived with a vengeance (a prolonged downpour all of today) the wet patch has come back.

Is this a common problem with Hymers?

I just can't work out where the rain can be coming in. I know the only permanent fix is a new rubber seal, but I don't want to take the risk of the fitter breaking the screen when he takes it out.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Crikey an A class leaking...

My Burstner was leaking because the off side door had a ledge over it which diverted lots of water onto the window itself which it couldn't cope with.

A classes don't leak though....

Bullshit

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
if you don,t have a high excess on your insurance you could always give the windscreen a helping hand to crack....new windscreen and new seal at the same time.....:whistle::whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not an A class but I used to drive a truck that leaked in much the same place. It was in fact a problem at the bottom of the screen and the wind blew it in. Took ages to find.

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
Not an A class but I used to drive a truck that leaked in much the same place. It was in fact a problem at the bottom of the screen and the wind blew it in. Took ages to find.

This leaks when stationary, though. I'm wondering if it's getting in somewhere at the top of the screen and then running down inside the seal and emerging at the bottom. There aren't any drips from the top.

Looks like I'll have to get more Sticks Like Sh*t and replace it every few months.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You need to cover it with a blanket, that stuff work better with one because it's full name is "sticks like sh*t to a blanket". :moon2::rofl:

Hope you get it sorted before winter.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
:Eeek: Creeping crack cure! :Eeek: ....Ooo, sounds a bit drastic that Peter.:moon2: :getmecoat:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I hate to agree with Peter but Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure is probably the answer without the necessity of removing and replacing the screen.

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Used to have 2009 Rapido 999M, complete with leaking screen
Water would collect on top of dashboard on LH side after rain and/or washing
Large stone chip forced screen replacement thru insurance (£75 excess)
Screen fitters showed me where the screen hadn't been sealed from the day the screen was fitted.
He explained that when Rapido changed from using screen rubbers to bonded windscreens, Rapido didn't increase the size of the glass to allow for the missing seal, so the screen only just fits the aperture
Have since changed the van (shame really it was a nice van but not quite to our liking)
Sorry - have just realised you have mentioned screen rubber so not applicable to your problem
As suggested above, I would check your insurance excess

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I've dripped a few ml behind the seal at the top right, in several goes about 30 minutes apart. Now for some heavy rain to test it out.

It's a bugger if it dries on the bodywork - very hard to remove. Lots of rubbing with T-cut eventually did it.

Bedbug

Free Member
Nov 8, 2012
Funster No
Same problem on my S670 just poured lots of "CAPT Tollyes" in now covered with windscreen cover for winter, keeping fingers crossed .

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I thought it had worked. We had absolutely torrential rain for a couple of days and not a drop got in. But the van was parked then. Today I've driven it in heavy rain and the usual area of the dash is wet. Must depend on the direction of the rain.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our MH has obviously had 'creeping crack cure' put on it at some stage. The windscreen doesn't leak, but when it's hot the creeping crack cure creeps down the windscreen and dries. It comes off with meths, but I'm hoping eventually it will all have crept out. Trouble is then the windscreen might start leaking.

My previous Dethleffs had a huge leak after Autoglass had replaced the windscreen following a crack. Luckily found it while in the UK and they refitted it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back