My underwriters gone!! Help I need another (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
LDV Minion (Maxus)
Exp
Slow leaner, started briefly 2016
Prob a victim of Brexit or something but Gefion have had their UK licence revoked so are not issuing any new policies. My broker recommends a policy that comes in £130 more.
Has anyone got any recommendations for my ldv Maxus camper?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just for the sheer number of underwriters they work with I would give AIB a call (y). You'll get a 15% Funster discount from them too

I have always been interested, but never found out, how many Undeeerwriters there are in the MH Insurance Market.

There are some outside the UK who are working on passport authority inside UK, but may well not want to go through the process of applying for and getting FCA authority to trade in UK after this year. So the numbers may shrink.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
LIQUIDATION

On 24 June 2020, the DFSA decided to withdraw Gefion Insurance’s license to conduct insurance business due to the Company not being able to meet its Solvency Capital Requirement. Resultingly, Gefion Insurance no longer writes new business or renews existing insurance policies.

Gefion Insurance remains solvent and will formally enter into a solvent liquidation pursuant to the requirements of the Danish Financial Business Act. Søren Aamann Jensen from the law firm Kromann Reumert and Troels Askerud from Gefion Insurance A/S have been appointed joint liquidators.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Unfortunately it's gonna be a case of doing on-line comparisons/quotes or ringing for them instead, pain in the bum but no other way.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Unfortunately it's gonna be a case of doing on-line comparisons/quotes or ringing for them instead, pain in the bum but no other way.

Very few underwriters will do business directly with the public, at least on MH policies.

On-line quotes in my experience do not disclose the actual Underwriters unless one clicks onto a link to read the policy document.

Even brokers' employees often either do not know the Underwriters on whose policies they are quoting or are reluctant to disclose them, but have to if pushed.

It is surprising how often MH forum members write that they 'are insured with' quoting the name of a broker. It might be loose use of language when they mean 'through', but I think in many cases the writer thinks the named company is the insurer who will pay out.

I always want to know who is the Underwriter, i.e. whose money is backing the policy. I am not keen on dealing with some overseas Underwriters, because if they are passorported into the UK market the FCA do not take much interest and then one is relying on the quality of the home country regulator as to their fitness to underwrite. After 1st Jan this will change unless passporting is extended under a Deal with the EU.
Don't ask me where people stand if their policy spans 2020 and 2021.

Of course a quick trawl of the FCA website with the company name will establish whether they are licensed as a broker or underwriter.

This info may even help the OP in quest for a new underwriter.

Geoff

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Try Caravan and motor home club might be worth joining fee if cheap enough just renewed my policy £160.00 incl 3rd party cover to drive any other vehicle £200.00 excess.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
Just for the sheer number of underwriters they work with I would give AIB a call (y). You'll get a 15% Funster discount from them too
Out of interest Jim is there a code or something similar we need to give to AIB to get the discount or is it just a case of saying “I’m a Funster”?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I have used Aib in the past when they promoted The markerstudy group
Unlimited widscreen cover (they "own"auto windscreens) low excees and suited to my needs

Then they teamed up with LV(2014 I believe) and promote them now
Same vehicle nothing changed
Windscreen cover then only up to £600 150% rise in excess
and other unfavourable t&c's

Went back with liesure slightly higher +£30 through them with AxxA
No quibble after an rtc pay out

I think Wombles did an in depth post a while back
Here you go also other from the same member

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun