My tip with ramps and levelling (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I often spot motorhomes attempting to get level by using two plastic ramps which have a total height of about four inches each. Fear of overshooting means that they raise the MH by about two inches on each wheel and the benefit is marginal at best.

I use just one plastic ramp but I have screwed a three inch plank to the underside. It is bevelled on the edge so that I get a smooth run up and with help from my wife I can usually get at least six inches of height gain. (Prior to editing this read "I can get a good six inches up.")

I can always spot which is my lowest wheel and simply getting that one higher makes all the difference.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
My Dad made wooden blocks, tapered at one narrow end with a 1" square cross piece raised above the other end, each with 2 holes drilled in them. Apart from the bottom (longest) plank, each block had 2 dowels which located in the holes of the next shortest plank, whilst butting up against the cross piece. He could raise the van in 3" steps by upto 18inches, using 6 planks: the longest was 24" and the shortest 6". Slightly heavy, but very flexible.

The most interesting attempt at levelling that I saw was a German in a VW camper in Scotland, at the CCC Ardgarten Site (now closed). Loads of wooden beams were freely available as it was a forest site with reasonable slopes. He constructed a platform where a level spot turned into a steep drop and reversed onto the platform. It took a dozen attempts before he was happy, by which time the platform was 5 feet above ground level! The only things stopping him overshooting were his brakes and a warning from his female companion.

It is quite unusual for us to use our ramps; everything seems to work so long as we are reasonably level and we rarely stay still for more than a couple of days - Gordon

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I'm not sure if people realise that raising just one wheel actually lightens the load on the springs of two other wheels, thus making them a little higher than they would otherwise be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I use two 4" (if you're lucky!) Fiamma ramps and rarely fail to level. I'm always surprised at how much levelling can be achieved by a little wiggling around within the pitch. Or by choosing another one. :)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Pair of Milenco Quattro's does it for me.
16cms (just over 6") maximum and curve stepped.
Never overshot them, yet, and most times I don't need to have the hand brake on. Always left in first gear though. You can feel each step as you go up onto the ramps.
Offset them by one step or more for side to side levelling as well.
Never had a problem with them and almost always end up level.
If the pitch is such that even the Milenco's can't cope, move.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
i can usually look at a pitch and decide drive in or reverse in,,as our autotrail lot higher at back , then look how pitch slopes etc to get almost level before using ramps to get it right,,,,cant have the brandy spilling over the glass through not being level.....the pint glass takes a lot of filling,,so NO spilling....:whistle::whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It is bevelled on the edge so that I get a smooth run up and with help from my wife I can usually get at least six inches of height gain.

What a great idea!! (y)(y)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
It took me a while to realise that if I park ACROSS the slope, the difference in heights is much less! :oops: - Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back