My stolen motorhome,no insurance in place. (1 Viewer)

eric english

Free Member
Mar 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 695
Exp
2 years
Iv'e had recent motorhome 1 year. 2014 Roller team 695. We took a trip to Spain in January for 3 months. While there i had a slight scrape to offside bumper which i reported to insurer, my fault. 2 days later someone had parked behind me overnight (i had stayed in an apartment). When i went to the motorhome next morning there was a wing mirrow on the path. This person had parked so close that as he pulled away ,smashed the nearside bumper with his wing mirrow hitting corner of m/home.
I reported to insurer. When home,letter from insurer stating they will not insure again. Because of 2 previouse claims with car,both not my fault. I had 3 weeks left on policy. How hard i tried i could not get insurance under £2400. I decided to sell. Got new MOT / Full service and Habitation cert. Whilst waiting for repairs to be done through insurer i advertised on ebay,5 days before insurance ran out. I priced as cheapest 695 on internet for quick sale with insured work to be completed prior to completion of sale.
Sold m/home on 18th march(Day insurance runs out (midnight) Buyer to collect after repairs. M/home stolen between 1am-5am 19th. No insurance with loss of £29000 to me ! An inquirey from another person on ebay with me giving out my post code and not showing up for viewing, i believe was the scumbag gang.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to hear about the theft of your van but minor dings and scrapes are best sorted yourself out of your own pocket and not notified to your insurers for this very reason.
The chances are your insurance excess would cover the cost of repairs and you will have the excess to pay regardless but now you can't get insurance.
I wouldn't report any damage costing less than £1000 to the insurers.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Perhaps you got the time wrong and it was stolen on the 28th @ 23:45?

Just saying - how do you know the exact time it was stolen?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 10, 2018
Worcester(U.K)
Funster No
MH
Tamar Ducato160multi
Exp
Sorry to read your story, I hope the reward brings the resolution you want.

Quote from eBay item 153418808441
stolen EARLY HOURS 19/3 from drive.
Be extra carefull who you give address to.
Take extra precautions with security. Hindsight is no good after the event. I believe i was targeted by person asking for post code and detals via 2 emails from ebay, they never called back to arrange to view.

I have since looked on the internet and seen it takes only 80 secs for them to steal a motorhome !

Disable your motorhome after every viewing or giving out postcode.

£5000 reward for safe return

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought some insurance automatically renews unless you cancel?
Who were you insured with?
Have you read the small print on the policy??

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I thought some insurance automatically renews unless you cancel?
Who were you insured with?
Have you read the small print on the policy??

Insurer wrote to OP saying they would not renew policy.

Sorry to hear that it was not insured. All Transit based MHs are very easy to steal. You would have thought that a company like Ford would offer better security.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Insurance companies want to make money and hit you hard if you claim. I reversed the MO HO into our new bungalow when I misjudged the distance. The repair was just over £2,000 so could probably have got it done for about £1,500 for cash. After I claimed I lost all the no claim bonus on the MO HO then got clobbered on my motor bike policy and also on the car, for the next 5 years. Along with the excess it cost much more than the claim. I would not claim for anything under £2,000 now.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This will not help the OP, and I am really sorry for the problems he is facing. However might be useful information in this thread.
One of the reasons his insurance refusing to renew COULD be that he broke conditions by staying in an apartment while away. A lot of insurances require you to stay in MH overnight when not at designated space at home.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ouch! Thats a lot of cash to lose. I really hope you get it back. Have you posted the make and model etc. Was it stolen from the workshop?

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
So the OP was going to risk having the motorhome for a period of time without insurance, whilst waiting for the repairs to be done? Illegal to drive on road to and from the repair shop.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
. I priced as cheapest 695 on internet for quick sale with insured work to be completed prior to completion of sale.
What does this mean, I'm confused??o_O

If the motorhome was sold on the 18th why is it the seller thats lost out. Surely the purchaser should've taken out insurance at time of purchase.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

If the motorhome was sold on the 18th why is it the seller thats lost out. Surely the purchaser should've taken out insurance at time of purchase.

And you being so ‘canny’ Sandra I can’t imagining you having insurance until you collected it not agreed to buy it :)(y)

But I am in the cynical camp, if genuine it is very sad, but why would you risk no insurance before collection

Definitely would have said stolen at 23.55 if mine though, unless there is some other evidence to pin down the times as quoted

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Sold m/home on 18th march(Day insurance runs out (midnight) Buyer to collect after repairs. M/home stolen between 1am-5am 19th.

Surely the purchaser paid you for the vehicle on the 18th when you sold it to him? When it was stolen on the 19th it would have been his loss not yours.

Something doesn’t ring true here!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Something not quite right about this, my spidey senses are tingling! :cautious:
I think the insurance company's spidey senses were tingling too - what fantastic judgement on their part ;)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.

The MH appears to be sold - subject to repairs being carried out.o_O As it is now gone repairs cannot be done so no sale.:unsure::unsure:. Still think it was nicked at 23:55 18/03;);)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Have you been in touch with your insurance company, the reason I ask is I never have mine on auto renew and a couple of years ago forgot to renew my car insurance. When I called the insurer for renewal after receiving other quotes I mentioned I'd forgot all about it and must have drove to and from work the last two days with no insurance.

His replied shocked me when he said no worries as your insurance actually continues for 2 weeks after renewal date.

Not sure this is 100% correct or just this company but worth checking.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
The grace period for insurance varies by insurer - you would need to check the policy

There is no compulsory grace period

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Have you been in touch with your insurance company, the reason I ask is I never have mine on auto renew and a couple of years ago forgot to renew my car insurance. When I called the insurer for renewal after receiving other quotes I mentioned I'd forgot all about it and must have drove to and from work the last two days with no insurance.

His replied shocked me when he said no worries as your insurance actually continues for 2 weeks after renewal date.

Not sure this is 100% correct or just this company but worth checking.

That may apply to the Third Party cover only and not Comprehensive, so you would have been legal for 2 days but not fully covered.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back