My roof is going green (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My MH is parked under our bedroom window, every morning when I open the blinds I wish I was away not going to work, but this week especially I also think I can more green algae appearing every day

Made worse by the white sat dome which really seems to show the green off perfectly

Ladder and cleaning this weekend I think

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David get a spray bottle and fill it with 25% bleach,top up with water-spray on and leave for a hour or so then good rinse off- better still go to a nice pole/check guy who will wash it all off for you for a tenner while you sit back and have a coffee and start WW3 with controversial posts :D
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thinking about it, if Chris sells his MH before it needs tyres, I think I might swap mine because it needs a clean :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
they don't need to go up there simply reach across from a step ladder at the side :D enjoy the coffee (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have power lines overhead that whole flocks of birds frequent, neighbours trees that deposit heaps of leaves onto everything & in direct sun so we keep ours covered when not in use. Have had a lot of experience with caravan covers in the past good & bad but now have this http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Motorhome-Covers_15916 & very good. We wash off the motorhome, spray over with Bobby Dazzler then slide the cover on - even if months later there is no need to clean it again as in same condition when the cover is removed(y) Add a couple of wheel covers & all protected. It is a hassle to put the cover on (really need 2 of you & some brushes/poles to get it on top) but saves on cleaning & reduces ageing so worthwhile for us. In an ideal world we would have a barn to drive it in to & be able to use it whenever we want but not there yet...

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have power lines overhead that whole flocks of birds frequent, neighbours trees that deposit heaps of leaves onto everything & in direct sun so we keep ours covered when not in use. Have had a lot of experience with caravan covers in the past good & bad but now have this http://www.maypole.ltd.uk/Motorhome-Covers_15916 & very good. We wash off the motorhome, spray over with Bobby Dazzler then slide the cover on - even if months later there is no need to clean it again as in same condition when the cover is removed(y) Add a couple of wheel covers & all protected. It is a hassle to put the cover on (really need 2 of you & some brushes/poles to get it on top) but saves on cleaning & reduces ageing so worthwhile for us. In an ideal world we would have a barn to drive it in to & be able to use it whenever we want but not there yet...

Have you considered a shotgun?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just for the birds, not the neighbours!

Reactions: GJH
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
005.JPG
006.JPG

Job done, but never again, anybody who thinks their MH moves a bit when they get in and out, don't get up on top for heavens sake, I came down feeling sea sick and relieved to be back off. The rocking is bad enough, then couple that with standing on a wet soapy surface, jeez, not for me

These companies offering a full external valet can do it next time

What I have also found that bolt on wind out awnings are really badly designed, or ours is at least, it creates a trough the full length of the awning 5.5m in our case about 75mm deep, we had seeds, moss and various other bits of vegetation in various states of decay and new things growing in the 'compost' :Eeek:

Must remember to sell it before it gets that bad again (y)

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi David stuff some pipe lagging foam in the gap ;)(y)That will stop all the crap going in there :D
terry

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
View attachment 41926 View attachment 41927

Job done, but never again, anybody who thinks their MH moves a bit when they get in and out, don't get up on top for heavens sake, I came down feeling sea sick and relieved to be back off. The rocking is bad enough, then couple that with standing on a wet soapy surface, jeez, not for me

These companies offering a full external valet can do it next time

What I have also found that bolt on wind out awnings are really badly designed, or ours is at least, it creates a trough the full length of the awning 5.5m in our case about 75mm deep, we had seeds, moss and various other bits of vegetation in various states of decay and new things growing in the 'compost' :Eeek:

Must remember to sell it before it gets that bad again (y)
I believe that fiamma sell a strip that fits along that gap ,i have one on my MH awning.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Also use the One Car wash for the roof and it has served me well for over 10 years now. Hasn't worked on my hairless head though.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Looks good, our awning is an Omnistor had a quick look for options, do you know are these universal?
I'm surprised you have such a problem David. Must be the way the awning was fitted. Our van has an Omnistor and there is nowhere near such a trough. I ran a bead of sealant along it to guard against any water penetration through the bolt holes but it is only a normal (few mm) bead size.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I'm surprised you have such a problem David. Must be the way the awning was fitted. Our van has an Omnistor and there is nowhere near such a trough. I ran a bead of sealant along it to guard against any water penetration through the bolt holes but it is only a normal (few mm) bead size.

I am not impressed either Graham, quite a surprise when I found it

rain-guard-large-jpg.41937

this example shows something like what we have, but our casing is not so rounded, creating a deeper 'channel', not sure if it has been fitted too high, but too late now to change it I reckon

Lincoln show maybe time to change, but maybe 5.5m of this capping is a better financial option :D

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have that on our wind out canopy. We were in a fierce wind in Portugal and it made its way out of the channel and nearly ended up in the river in front of us.
Terry had a real job threading it back though. He had to get up on the roof to do it, not something he savoured.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

We have a gap the same as you so be careful what you change to, anyway you can't change until you have been to Dusseldorf show as you don't know the half of what is available.

Good job on the roof by the way, at least you can board a ferry and hold your head up high in the bar after everybody has seen you drive on "oh your the one with the green roof" no no mine is clean you must be mistaken.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
001.JPG
002.JPG

Here we have the cleaned roof, problem gap and the cause of the problem

now I know about it a regular jet / brush out will probably keep it clear

Not so sure the trim idea is an option, based on TandT's experience above, it would still have open ends and stuff would still get in and not be so easy to remove

The problem is booked to be 'felled' this week (y) along with 2 others that might aggravate the problem

Doesn't look as clean in close up though does it! It will be going for sides to be washed / polished before Lincoln :D

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have suggested it once David so I am not going back there :DSimply push/press it in and forget about it -dirt cheap :rolleyes::D
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Suppose grey sponge would not look good on a Hymer :(but on the bright side you would not see it up there and all the crud would not get in the gap :)I could always bring some 3 ins plastic architrave and stick that over it :whistle:Anyway whats wrong with Gaffer tape
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
White/woodgrain/cherry or caramac/shitty brown but you could paint it :D:D:DThe caramac/shitty brown would be good enough for that old Hymer of yours ;):D
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back