Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
6EF9F1F1-AD01-4B57-8C17-6AA7F106227C.jpeg
This is my E Trike newly purchased as my doctors thinks I a FAT.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and welcome to fun :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
It's just what I need for the Tour de France I could recharge it of one of the support car's.
Is it speed limited in case I to catch up with the leader's.
No need to keep nipping back for sandwhiches and drinks, I could supply everyone from a full basket.
:party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2::party2:

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
We are considering a trike from Jorvik cycles as a Top Management vehicle as she has lost her sense of balance on a bike. How stable is a trike when cornering at speed and also if you take it with you when in the van how do you carry it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I managed to get cook one from ebay as she never learned to ride a bike. A real bargain as it was new, built for an elderly relative that never rode it. A fantastic machine with crank drive.

OP
OP
Campervanannie

Campervanannie

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
We are considering a trike from Jorvik cycles as a Top Management vehicle as she has lost her sense of balance on a bike. How stable is a trike when cornering at speed and also if you take it with you when in the van how do you carry it.
I have 375w of soar and 3 large gel batteries and a Victron inverter so I charge it directly from the van and I have a house garage in my MH that I can transport it in, I usually carry a large all terrain mobility trike that looks lovely me a Harley but that weighs 140k and the E trike only weighs 35k and yes it is very stable I have RA so cannot walk very far so the E trike is to stop me getting lazy.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008

She may fall off if you dont strap it to the roof rack well.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
We had a trip to Jorvic today and Lynn was chuffed with the 20" Dutch electric trike. She had no problem on her first ride. She doesn't have the balance anymore due to a slipped disc in her back. She had a massive grin on her face pedalling away. I found steering difficult as I wanted to ride it like a bike, sure I can get used to it with practice.
We haven't bought one yet. Our finances are temporarily stretched as we are moving house etc, when all is completed I think the Jorvic will be our first post house move purchase!!

OP
OP
Campervanannie

Campervanannie

Free Member
Jul 10, 2018
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido le Randoneur 763F
Exp
We had a trip to Jorvic today and Lynn was chuffed with the 20" Dutch electric trike. She had no problem on her first ride. She doesn't have the balance anymore due to a slipped disc in her back. She had a massive grin on her face pedalling away. I found steering difficult as I wanted to ride it like a bike, sure I can get used to it with practice.
We haven't bought one yet. Our finances are temporarily stretched as we are moving house etc, when all is completed I think the Jorvic will be our first post house move purchase!!
Keep looking on eBay they do come up now and again at bargain price.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Mrs McHood has a Jorvik folding trike front wheel hub drive for the same reason. She likes it. Stability wise, they are not stable on anything other than flat surfaces and require a very different riding technique to a bike. TBH frightened the life out of me when I had a go. I also learned not to hop off my Kalkhof and give her a push on the curved uphill sections of our local bike track as that was a sure fire way of depositing her into the bushes.... However, as I say, she loves it and attempts tracks (like round Loch Morlich) that I would have second thoughts about, gets a lot of admiring glances and comments when out and about. Biggest fault to my mind though is that the drive is dependent on the pedals going round, not on the load put on the pedal so getting it going on an uphill section or over a kerb isn't easy as you get no assistance until the pedals have rotated a bit. This is different to the load sensing drive like the Bosch or Panasonic which start to apply drive immediately you lean on the pedals. Rear brake also only works on one wheel as does the chain drive. Finally, buy yourself a set of Schwalbe puncture resistant tyres!

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Mrs McHood has a Jorvik folding trike front wheel hub drive for the same reason. She likes it. Stability wise, they are not stable on anything other than flat surfaces and require a very different riding technique to a bike. TBH frightened the life out of me when I had a go. I also learned not to hop off my Kalkhof and give her a push on the curved uphill sections of our local bike track as that was a sure fire way of depositing her into the bushes.... However, as I say, she loves it and attempts tracks (like round Loch Morlich) that I would have second thoughts about, gets a lot of admiring glances and comments when out and about. Biggest fault to my mind though is that the drive is dependent on the pedals going round, not on the load put on the pedal so getting it going on an uphill section or over a kerb isn't easy as you get no assistance until the pedals have rotated a bit. This is different to the load sensing drive like the Bosch or Panasonic which start to apply drive immediately you lean on the pedals. Rear brake also only works on one wheel as does the chain drive. Finally, buy yourself a set of Schwalbe puncture resistant tyres!
Thanks you highlighted some slight worries I've been hibernating since our trial run. York is flat, whereas we live in the Pennines and we don't have any flat!! I am a bit worried how she will cope with sloping corners. She took to her test drive straight away but it was on the flat.
I forgot to check if the drive was just to one rear wheel, so I'm pleased you have answered that. Presumably stop pedalling when taking a corner!
I think we don't see this as a bike replacement, we see it as almost "disabled" transport!! Short journeys at a steady speed. When away in the van me and the dog will be walking, I don't have a bike, so it isn't a case of keeping up with a bike rather slow down we can't walk that fast.
Lynn is struggling to walk any distance so getting from campsite/ aire to village or beach if only a kilometre away is a challenge at the moment. I think if she is careful it might be a solution.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Thanks you highlighted some slight worries I've been hibernating since our trial run. York is flat, whereas we live in the Pennines and we don't have any flat!! I am a bit worried how she will cope with sloping corners. She took to her test drive straight away but it was on the flat.
I forgot to check if the drive was just to one rear wheel, so I'm pleased you have answered that. Presumably stop pedalling when taking a corner!
I think we don't see this as a bike replacement, we see it as almost "disabled" transport!! Short journeys at a steady speed. When away in the van me and the dog will be walking, I don't have a bike, so it isn't a case of keeping up with a bike rather slow down we can't walk that fast.
Lynn is struggling to walk any distance so getting from campsite/ aire to village or beach if only a kilometre away is a challenge at the moment. I think if she is careful it might be a solution.
Sloping corners are not easy, Often my Lyn has had to get off and use the walk assist mode though even that is awkward as you are walking in front of one rear wheel and the button isnt the easiest thing to press. She will definitely be going a lot faster than you when she does get going, the low/medium/high settimgs aren't power but the speed the motor tries to achieve. Can I suggest if you are in York, try talking to Go Cycles, they have huge experience with trikes and bikes of all types, many specifically for those who are balance challenged for one reason or another. The Jorviks are cheap but there is a reason for that.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Sloping corners are not easy, Often my Lyn has had to get off and use the walk assist mode though even that is awkward as you are walking in front of one rear wheel and the button isnt the easiest thing to press. She will definitely be going a lot faster than you when she does get going, the low/medium/high settimgs aren't power but the speed the motor tries to achieve. Can I suggest if you are in York, try talking to Go Cycles, they have huge experience with trikes and bikes of all types, many specifically for those who are balance challenged for one reason or another. The Jorviks are cheap but there is a reason for that.
Thanks but I don't think Go Cycles are in York. Do you mean Go Cycles or is there someone else in York you mean?

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Thanks but I don't think Go Cycles are in York. Do you mean Go Cycles or is there someone else in York you mean?
Apologies, you are quite right. These are who I meant www.getcycling.org.uk
They are at
Get Cycling,
22, Hospital Fields Road,
York,
YO10 4DZ
Were a big help to us with regard to a bike rack to carry the trike and my eBike and have a lot of knowledge. Also j ust round the corner from Cycle Heaven who do a decent cappuccino and only a hundred yards from the cycle path to Selby.

Regarding dog, if small it will fit nicely in a carrier on back of wife's trike ;) and if larger will get more exercise tethered to wife's bike while you pedal sedately behind :).

Its quite difficult to go slow with a speed controlled bike like the Jorvik unless you are on the flat, then its pedal and coast, pedal and coast. To tackle hills of any sort she has to keep up enough pedal movement so the bike doesn't stall because at that point you lose assistance and its all down to sheer muscle power to rotate the pedals enough for the assist to kick in. A lot of the time Lyn has her pedals going round in low gear without actually feeling she is doing anything just to keep the electric assist working to cope with hills. On the flat and on the straight providing hill isn't too steep then no problem with a Jorvik. Downhill corners have to be taken very slowly and carefully! Personally I'd be looking to see if you can get a second hand throttle control trike that predates the implementation of the pedelec law, then a lot of these down sides, in view of your intended use, would disappear. Or go for a mobility trike like @Campervanannie. I'm sure get Cycling will point you in the right direction. Any other queries please ask.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@RidersofRohan regarding carrying it, it goes in the garage unfolded on RH and we have a special version of the Pendle ball mounted trike rack (from Get Cycling) when its on the back of our car to take my bike as well. A standard Pendle trike rack will work if you are only carrying that, though the rack isnt the lightest thing ever built!...

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
@RidersofRohan Trike & eBike at the Dairymans in Riccall, Good craic and a decent cappuccino too! Notice I am carrying Lyn's spare battery...!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 21
Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
I dosed my standard tubes with 'Slime' anti puncture fluid. Cheaper than tyres or pre dosed tubes.
True but we found the standard tyres on the Jorvik's while fine for tarmac are useless on anything loose as the front hub motor tends to overdrive and skid. Replaced all three with Schwalbe Landrangers, no more punctures and skidding eliminated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back