My motorhoming days are numbered (1 Viewer)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
After five years of full timing, my motorhoming days are drawing to a close. We have just bought a boat that will become our home instead of the van. At the moment the boat is really just a shell and we will be fitting it out ourselves over the winter. We had vaguely talked about getting a boat some time in the future - like 2 or 3 years down the line. Then we stumbled over this one and decided to go for it. So next year my van will be going up for sale.

I have really enjoyed my motorhoming, especially the Fun rallies, and have made some good friends along the way. I will never forget the help and support I received from Funsters in my early days when I had to struggle up a very steep learning curve; nor all the help, advice and merry banter that I've received ever since. Thank you. :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We'll miss you Maz, though of course you can still log in and chat. Maybe when you're sorted we'll be able to organise a rally where you're moored. :) Best of luck (y)

What type of boat?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
We will all miss you and David! :(

There'll be such a mad rush to buy your wonderful van though! I'm tempted myself even though it smashes my 6 metre rule!

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you for your good wishes. :)

The boat is a catamaran - a Catalac 900. It's 19 years old but has never been in the water! It's been a work-in-progress for all that time. We are hoping to speed things up a bit! Because of its somewhat arrested development, we have decided to name it 'Late Starter'. :D

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Awwww, really really pleased for you! Been so long since we saw you and Nix but you have not been forgotten. Izzy and I enjoyed our walks with you and would like to have done that again. Still, one day you will probably spot Izzy doing 'her jobs' outside your window.
We wish all three of you the very best for the future. May God bless 'Late Starter' and all who sail in her! Janie, Bob & Izzy

Reactions: maz

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
You go Maz !!! Your an inspiration to many with how you bit that bullet and ran with it.. then a single lady attending meets and not only learning but then researching things and educating the rest of us with things we thought we knew.

I would love to hear your full time adventures in the cat ..nikki and i were discussing. Its a sea boat yes? So will you full time in the oceans or large lakes? Really hope we catch up before you throw the wheels in...
Good luck

Paul nikki tara and betty

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
10 years ago we debated boat - motorhome. Obviously MH won, because of mooring fees, limits on where to go with a boat that could sail on canals ( had Canal du Midi in mind ) and we got the impression boats can be money pits.

Obviously you've done your debating, very brave decision you've made. Very good luck with the project. Chugging down the Canal du Midi or the Themes, glass in had is certainly a way to chill.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Don't think we ever met..but read your post and just had to wish you and partner all the best with your new venture...
Good luck ..
Andy. .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We wish you David and Nix all the best in your new adventure, though I have no doubt it will turn out just as you plan though it indeed not a motorhome it would still be nice to hear how you are getting on in your new adventure from time to time.

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Hi, 9 mtr Catalac is a nice size boat we have in the distant past sailed the 8 mtr and owned a Heavenly twins 27 for about 10 years.Still think about the adventures we had,but happy with the moho.Good luck and when fitting out your new toy be aware of adding too much weight.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good for you, I'm envious. I got up to Day Skipper but ultimately I'm not a great sailor - green around the gills at times so I've packed it in. Would love to sail around the World!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Good luck maz. You helped us through a scare at a meet, forget where now.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Good luck Maz - sorry we won't be seeing you at meets in future, you will be missed. We were new girls together at Peterborough, was it 2011? We didn't know much at all then. (Not sure I know much more now!) All the best of luck with your new venture and keep in touch!
Catherine

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Good luck, but you don't have to leave here. There are plenty of none motorhome bits to join in and I think many people here would be interested in your new lifestyle.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Good luck with your future plans, God bless

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Thank you for your good wishes. :)

The boat is a catamaran - a Catalac 900. It's 19 years old but has never been in the water! It's been a work-in-progress for all that time. We are hoping to speed things up a bit! Because of its somewhat arrested development, we have decided to name it 'Late Starter'. :D
It's a good solid boat maz ,they are built like tanks ,not the fastest on the block but almost indestructible, I suggest googling the report on a catalac in what was called the queen's birthday storm ,the expensive mono hulls were getting destroyed by the storm but a catalac went through it
There is a catalac owners club

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Thank you for all your lovely messages. I feel quite emotional. :)

David has many years boating experience, including several transatlantic crossings - not that I plan on doing that sort of thing! He will be very much the Captain and I will be content to be First Mate! :D

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
It's a good solid boat maz ,they are built like tanks ,not the fastest on the block but almost indestructible, I suggest googling the report on a catalac in what was called the queen's birthday storm ,the expensive mono hulls were getting destroyed by the storm but a catalac went through it
There is a catalac owners club
Yes, they are pretty sturdy and the accommodation is good - ideal for living in. I have heard them referred to as 'floating caravans' - meant in a derogatory way but to me that is a compliment. :D

We have learnt a lot about Catalacs from the catamaran site:
www.catamaransite.com/index.html

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Enjoy your new lifestyle and nothing is set in stone . Keep in touch and where will you be moored?(y)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Brilliant! Very exciting! I always read your posts and, like others, would encourage you to keep posting. We want to know all about it!
We sold the yacht to buy the motorhome and now, after seven years, we are thinking of a boat to explore the French canals for our next adventure. We have met lots of others who have crossed between motor homes and boats, or have both. It must be the wanderlust spirit.
Have a look at the RYA 'Competent Crew' and 'Day Skipper' courses, as there is nowt like being prepared!

Lorraine x

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like a whole new adventure, which is what life should be all about!

Have a great time with the boat and good luck.

Mike

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well done for following your dream. Certain you will make a success of your new life. Enjoy.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Just googled the boat - it looks fantastic! Looks like it has a really good table for board games!

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Just googled the boat - it looks fantastic! Looks like it has a really good table for board games!
At the moment it doesn't have a table at all - but we will be sure to fit one suitable for board games! (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back