My motorhome is in Spain MOT Due to expire Help (2 Viewers)

Skyblue3491

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Luner
Exp
10 Years
My 6.3 m motorhome is in Valencia province Spain, my MOT runs out 20/08/20 . I am in Australia, with no flights to UK until further notice, because of COVID 19
I was due to fly back to UK 22/04/20 but all flights stopped. Any Suggestions?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
All well and good, but what would happen if you had a bad accident and needed hospitalisation or flying home (alive or dead) and no mot? Would insurers refuse to pay out?
The op knows the right answer, so dont come crying if you get caught šŸ˜‚

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
However, you'd have to SORN and your insurance company might baulk at this.
You can't sorn out of the Uk.If you mention anything to an insurance company you won't have any.
So, no indirect flights from Oz to Spain? Why would you need to fly back to the UK first? (Is that where the MH key is kept but could you not get a relative to Fedex it to you?)
I doubt it as if there were we would be able to post letters & parcels to oz & we can't & haven't been able to for some months.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
mikebeaches had his shipped to UK but I cannot remember how much it cost. Of course, as you are in australia, you would need friends or family here to recieve it.
As Riverbankannie has mentioned, we decided to have our campervan transported back from Alicante when it got trapped in March as a result of the lockdown. The looming MOT was a significant concern, and we were keen to recover the van so we could use it here over the summer.

It wasn't cheap - quotes ranged from Ā£2,340 to Ā£3,600 inc VAT for a reputable door-to-door service. We bit the bullet, and accepted the best price. Have to say, the company, S G Haulage from Lincoln, were excellent. They can handle any size vehicle.

They picked it up on a Thursday evening in Spain and delivered it to us on Monday lunchtime, having used Brittany Ferries from Santander to Portsmouth.

We kept our insurance company informed throughout. They extended our continental cover without charge because the van was stuck in Spain. And, somewhat astonishingly, when we renewed the policy for another year, the premium reduced significantly! (y)

IMG_20200615_130526.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We totally missed an MOT a couple of years ago, only realised when I pulled out old certificate to check the date. It had expired 11 months earlier

I would say just drive it back to U.K. as soon as you can, I guess the only real issue would be a breakdown or accident

but if you advise your insurers of the situation they may cover the risk, if they donā€™t I guess only option would be recovery, maybe just to Bilbao though then bring it back yourself on the ferry
AFAIK having no MoT has no effect on insurance and isn't a condition of being insured. The vehicle must be 'roadworthy' however.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I should add, I can drive up-to 7.5 ton
Clean driving license since 1983
May be able to arrange storage for you
Iā€™m 15 mins from Manchester airport
I can arrange for an MOT for you too

maybe even take it back to Spain, depending on what unfolds.
Very generous!

Don't forget about quarantine on your return... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK having no MoT has no effect on insurance and isn't a condition of being insured. The vehicle must be 'roadworthy' however.
I thought it had to be legal to use it in it's country of registration for insurance to be valid? In which case no MOT would invalidate that.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I thought it had to be legal to use it in it's country of registration for insurance to be valid? In which case no MOT would invalidate that.
My understanding - which is possibly not correct - is that a minimum of third party cover will be maintained on a roadworthy vehicle abroad.

But I agree, it is not legal to drive a UK-registered MH on the continent without a valid MOT. Which is what focused our minds about getting the van transported home, to avoid any complications. :cool:

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think I might be wrong on this having done further research. A long time ago I read about a Court case in which this exact subject was argued. The decision was that the MoT was not an indication of road-worthiness and unless the vehicle had faults that could have contributed to the accident then the insurance was valid. The driver was paid out. But there is nothing to stop insurance companies since writing MoT requirement into their T&Cs and I suspect that has happened. Worth checking your Policy though.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Regarding MOT and insurance, I have posted this before but will do it again, my policy states that no MOT invalidates everything but 3rd party cover leaving the vehicle legal for road use as far as insurance is concerned.

Others have said this is true for all but I have no knowledge of this, best to check the policy.

Of course driving a Ā£50000 or more motorhome without comprehensive cover is a risky decision.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My understanding - which is possibly not correct - is that a minimum of third party cover will be maintained on a roadworthy vehicle abroad.

But I agree, it is not legal to drive a UK-registered MH on the continent without a valid MOT. Which is what focused our minds about getting the van transported home, to avoid any complications. :cool:

You are correct. The Insurance for the vehicle remains valid although the 'Comprehensive' reduces down to the minimum should an incident occur involving Third Parties. This is regardless of the validity of an MOT Certificate.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Perhaps the op can read her policy and advise what it says regarding mot?
However, I believe that vehicle needs to be fully legal to drive abroad, and as such, requires an mot.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No it didn't nor has it ever.The law has always been that the company must insure all 3rd party events regardless of what the insured does. They can then claim off you,You cannot legally have "no insurance". This is why I am always amazed that people plead guilty to it. As long as you took it out legally & without any lies you cannot have no insurance.
No it wouldn't. If you look at "reclaiming a seized vehicle " it isn't usually a seizable offence & if seized for another reason i.e no licence , if the mot expires then it must be collected on a trailer/recovery truck.

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Is there any concern that the vehicle, possibly having been in Spain for 6 months, should be re-registered as Spanish?

Gordon

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Perhaps the op can read her policy and advise what it says regarding mot?
However, I believe that vehicle needs to be fully legal to drive abroad, and as such, requires an mot.
It definitely does but personally in circumstances like this I would risk using the vehicle without a valid MOT but not without the basic level of insurance required for legality.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We totally missed an MOT a couple of years ago, only realised when I pulled out old certificate to check the date. It had expired 11 months earlier

I would say just drive it back to U.K. as soon as you can, I guess the only real issue would be a breakdown or accident

but if you advise your insurers of the situation they may cover the risk, if they donā€™t I guess only option would be recovery, maybe just to Bilbao though then bring it back yourself on the ferry
What about the cameras, no mot , no valid insurance, big red crushing machine could be introduced. There is a thread on here where one was shipped very recently

Upvote 0

Deleted User
What about the cameras, no mot , no valid insurance, big red crushing machine could be introduced. There is a thread on here where one was shipped very recently

Not having a valid MOT does not invalidate the 3rd party legal minimum requirement for use on the public road, this has been stated many times in this thread.

Upvote 0

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
Unfortunately it won't be "legal" to drive it in Spain (and I presume France) with an expired MOT ā˜¹
I was in exactly this position - even geographically. My camper was parked up in a garage in central Valencia. There is an MoT place in Dover, <10 mins from the docks. I had been there before with a van that I drove back from DK for a pal. Pre-booked, straight in, they bent over back'rds to get the brakes done - new MoT - FAB!
1596359734751.png

I booked in with my camper and made sure they sent me hard copy of the booking appointment, to show Pedro Plod or Gaston good'arme. In the event, I didn't need that.

If your camper is one of the big-huge types, best check access. It's in a tight, terraced road. But see below ...

In fact, I called DVLA and asked them if there was a mileage limit from landing in UK to the MoT test. I was told that as long as I was driving to a pre-booked test, it didn't matter where it was, so I re-booked at my local MoT stn at Minehead, 10 mins from home. This meant that if my van failed, I'd re-book, legally be able to drive home and return for repairs/retest rather than being stuck 170 miles from base.

All was well.

Upvote 0

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
With the restriction that one cannot drive it from say, Portsmouth or Dover to say Carlisle.

One has to find a 'Local' MOT Centre. I don't mean just 'around the corner' from the Port of Entry but don't take the mick (other words are available)
Not true. I checked this myself with DVLA. I was pre-booked in to an excellent MoT place in Dover, having driven up from Valencia, Spain. It occured to me it would be mightly more convenient, in the event of a fail, if the MoT was done close to home. DVLA told me that as long as I was driving to a pre-booked test, it didn't matter where it was.

I got hard copy of the appointment, in case I was stopped in Spain, France or UK. I wasn't. Passed first time - in Minehead.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Yes third party so long as the policy has been paid for but obviously that doesn't provide any cover at all for the MH itself.

Upvote 0

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.

It would have been OK to drive it back on the basis that you were only on the road in order to get the MoT done. With ferry booking and hard copy of the test appointment, you would have been OK. I did exactly this, from Valencia city.

A GB reg camper, heading north - Plod would know you're going home and let you get on with it without pulling you over.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Not true. I checked this myself with DVLA. I was pre-booked in to an excellent MoT place in Dover, having driven up from Valencia, Spain. It occured to me it would be mightly more convenient, in the event of a fail, if the MoT was done close to home. DVLA told me that as long as I was driving to a pre-booked test, it didn't matter where it was.

I got hard copy of the appointment, in case I was stopped in Spain, France or UK. I wasn't. Passed first time - in Minehead.

Try quoting what you've been told to the Policeman at the side of the road and arguing it in Court.
No nationalities mentioned but peeps did that back in the day, travelling three hundred miles to a prearranged test before their hols. in Cornwall, cancelling the test when (if) they got here and then repeating the exercise at the end.
They've closed that loophole.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suspect the 'reality programmes' you refer to are ones where those caught have NO insurance policy in place whatsoever, ie they've never paid for one, so therefore they haven't even got third party cover. This is different to where someone has paid for insurance and the policy is still active so even if the MOT had expired the third party aspect would be in place making the vehicle legally insured.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back