My motorhome is in Spain MOT Due to expire Help (1 Viewer)

Skyblue3491

Free Member
Jul 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Luner
Exp
10 Years
My 6.3 m motorhome is in Valencia province Spain, my MOT runs out 20/08/20 . I am in Australia, with no flights to UK until further notice, because of COVID 19
I was due to fly back to UK 22/04/20 but all flights stopped. Any Suggestions?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I believe that non-subscribers can receive PMs but they can't start a conversation themselves, unless that's been changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Mot extensions have stopped. Have you thought of having it shipped back. You could look on website like return loads. There might be a step frame trailer looking to make up a load returning to the uk. If you deduct off the costs of fuel, ferries, and flights to get it yourself, the costs might not be so bad.
True,,probably get it transported back for a grand...BUSBY.

Upvote 0

alanj

Free Member
Mar 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato herald c
Mot extensions have stopped. Have you thought of having it shipped back. You could look on website like return loads. There might be a step frame trailer looking to make up a load returning to the uk. If you deduct off the costs of fuel, ferries, and flights to get it yourself, the costs might not be so bad.
I am a Spanish resident but have an old motorhome. Fiat ducato herald Castillo. Which needs going to UK for MOT on 2nd April 2021. I am not well ( not covid related ) and borders are closed until 4th April 2021 due to covid so am not able to drive it back.
Any advice

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am a Spanish resident but have an old motorhome. Fiat ducato herald Castillo. Which needs going to UK for MOT on 2nd April 2021. I am not well ( not covid related ) and borders are closed until 4th April 2021 due to covid so am not able to drive it back.
Any advice
Where in Spain are you ?

I can help with contacts

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Any advice
:hiya:
I’m sorry to read that you are not well and of your predicament. As Bolti says above, you may well have to change to Spanish plates to be legal.
Otherwise, if you don’t hold Spanish residency, the only other option is to SORN it at DVLA and get it trailered back to UK and you travel separately when restrictions and your health allow.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
:hiya:
I’m sorry to read that you are not well and of your predicament. As Bolti says above, you may well have to change to Spanish plates to be legal.
Otherwise, if you don’t hold Spanish residency, the only other option is to SORN it at DVLA and get it trailered back to UK and you travel separately when restrictions and your health allow.
You can’t (or rather “shouldn’t”) sorn it if it’s outside the UK

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
As I understand it your vehicle has to comply with the country it is registered in, if it is legal for you to drive it to a pre arranged mot i the UK then it should you should be able to bring it home. I would book an mot close to your UK port of entry then as long s if it fails on only minor defects you can then drive it home. There is no actual legislation that states how far the mot station has to be.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As I understand it your vehicle has to comply with the country it is registered in, if it is legal for you to drive it to a pre arranged mot i the UK then it should you should be able to bring it home. I would book an mot close to your UK port of entry then as long s if it fails on only minor defects you can then drive it home. There is no actual legislation that states how far the mot station has to be.

In addition, if I were asked to account for whether the vehicle was legally compliant with the law in its country of registration, my response would be as follows:-

The country of registration is UK. UK law requires the vehicle to have a current MOT while on a highway in UK. When the vehicle is not on a UK highway UK law does not require an MOT, so in any other country, even without an MOT, it conforms with UK law, so is complying with the law of the country of registration.

Whether M. Flic and a French Court would agree with this analysis is yet to be tested.

Geoff

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It's illegal to drive a vehicle without an itv ( mot ) in Spain, if you let it expire you have to get it transported to the testing station, we take our motorhome for test on Wednesday it's 1st one as it's 4 years old about a month after that date, so like the UK it will have an extra month, but ours is 2 years so 25 months. 🙂

Anyone caught driving without an mot, it will be picked up and parked in a compound and storage will be charged until you arrange a truck to take it for test or back to your country, they don't let you swan off down the road, all this book a test at your nearest place in the UK is 8oiiocks , I think you will find your Gov web site will explain about travelling overseas your vehicle should be legal insurance tax and mot. 🤔 Bob.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apart from the fact that as a spanish resident he
A ) cannot leave the region he lives in to go anywhere legally &
B) for the same reason cannot exit spain.
Looks like it's gonna have to be changed to Spanish reg then.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
My 6.3 m motorhome is in Valencia province Spain, my MOT runs out 20/08/20 . I am in Australia, with no flights to UK until further notice, because of COVID 19
I was due to fly back to UK 22/04/20 but all flights stopped. Any Suggestions?
Shouldnt you be flying to Spain or are there no direct flights to Spain from Oz ?

No idea when they will be opening up ozzie export flights but anticipated news on getting into UK will be forthcoming on 12th April to be implemented on 17th May at the earliest.

At the present time all the indications are that Spain and UK are well ahead of the vast majority of Europe.

I would relax until April as your situation is nigh on impossible to resolve atm

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Shouldnt you be flying to Spain or are there no direct flights to Spain from Oz ?

No idea when they will be opening up ozzie export flights but anticipated news on getting into UK will be forthcoming on 12th April to be implemented on 17th May at the earliest.

At the present time all the indications are that Spain and UK are well ahead of the vast majority of Europe.

I would relax until April as your situation is nigh on impossible to resolve atm
Dam

didnt notice it was a last year thread

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back