Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Brizzle at the moment
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Limited experience
Just got a Huawei B525s-23a LTE Cat6 (4G to you) router. It is the bees knees. It says on the box that it is plug and play, we've all heard that little gem before haven't we, but in this case IT'S TRUE!

Literally, take it out of the box, put in the SIM card (details of that later) plug it in, wait for the lights to stop flashing, type the IP address into your web browser and it does the rest for you. Okay, you have to tell it what you want to call your MiFi net (I like to use something sinister like "CIA Covert1" - keeps people guessing when they scan for available networks :whistle:) and set up your password but apart from that it is up and running in a matter of minutes. You can then add your devices to the network, up to 64 if you have that many friends (I don't :(), and then it is as good as, or in the case of our flat in Brizzle, faster than BT WiFi. It will automatically detect if you have connected an external antenna/aerial too. The Huawei app, Huawei HiLink, helps you manage it and also keeps a count of your usage, so you know if you are getting close to your limit.

On the downside it doesn't come with a 12v supply lead but they are pennies off Fleabay, any 2.1 x 5.5mm male output plug will do (top tip - check the polarity before you connect it, must be +'ve on the inner -'ve on the outer, your vehicle might have the 12v socket wired up rrrrrrrrs about face, just saying)

On the subject of external antenna/aerial I've got one of those too, a Poynting 4G-XPOL-A0002 LTE jobby but I can't say how good that is yet, I've not had any problem getting a signal using the internal antenna/aerial on the router. I might have bought something I don't need there, but time will tell. I'd rather have when I need it, even if that is only 10% of the time, than not have it when I need it. It certainly pushed the signal from 4 bars to 5 bars when connected to test it out.

The SIM card I got is a 3 4G/LTE data only card with 15Gb/month for £17. As a data card it offers unlimited European roaming so we can use all 15Gb each month in France/Spain and, in the UK at least, so far it is providing good download and upload speeds. (Other service providers are available)

All in all highly recommended albeit I'm not sure that the external antenna/aerial is strictly necessary yet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back