South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It’s just been delivered.

Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 twin.

Now I just need a break in lockdown in order to ride it!

EF8CB460-68AC-4622-99FB-EEF84F2D58B0.jpeg

Nov 7, 2020
Granada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision i677 SP
Exp
Since 2018
Good choice.
Mine has been sitting in my shed for the last 4 months pining to be ridden. We have bought a trailer so she can come with us when we are away in the motorhome.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Nice bike maison enjoy, I’m waiting for DVLA to register my 1976 750 Bonneville American import.
John.
Surprisingly the RE was delivered to me yesterday morning, with a warning that it had not yet been registered and taxed.

I have been chasing the dealership since then but, as of this evening, it is still not taxed. So I have had it in my garage/on my drive but can’t use it. I’ve spent the time fitting crash bars and a clock and polishing up the alloy but I’m getting a bit peeved with the dealer at the moment. Still, it will be bright and shiny when I can eventually use it!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Lovely looking bike.

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Good choice.
Mine has been sitting in my shed for the last 4 months pining to be ridden. We have bought a trailer so she can come with us when we are away in the motorhome.

Which trailer did you get?

Nice RE, been tempted myself with one of those.
When can we have a non essential spin? I’ve got my old Triumph finished and it’s just sat in the garage.

Next time you need milk, pop on a rucksack and off you go for a legitimate ride.

Remember, it is not the mode of transport that is illegal it is the purpose of the journey on which you’ll be judged.

Ian

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Looks fantastic, especially the paint - very smart indeed.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Hi maison,
you bought my bike in the colour I want,,,,,,

who was the dealer you bought it off,

im off to Cardiff Thursday ,wife has a hospital appointment, and I’m thinking of popping into M&P ,to have a look at one in the flesh,,

there are some new colours for 2021

Nov 7, 2020
Granada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision i677 SP
Exp
Since 2018
I got the trailer in Spain, it is a fully enclosed with lifting roof. It is sized be used for 2 bikes or the quad. If we aren't taking them with us it can be used as extra payload for extended trips. Also in the winter I can store one of the bikes in it. It is going to be more of a mobile shed than a trailer and will be wired for solar with a spare leisure battery we had from our caravan when we changed to a MH. So that will keep the bikes all charged in winter and be a back up on the occasions when we are on sites without hook up.

Attachments

• D0F05A6C-8D49-45DC-96AC-557DBBA3EDF5.jpeg
    D0F05A6C-8D49-45DC-96AC-557DBBA3EDF5.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1A84D702-C013-4CC6-A9AF-B20C11A03EB1.jpeg
    1A84D702-C013-4CC6-A9AF-B20C11A03EB1.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi maison,
you bought my bike in the colour I want,,,,,,

who was the dealer you bought it off,

im off to Cardiff Thursday ,wife has a hospital appointment, and I’m thinking of popping into M&P ,to have a look at one in the flesh,,

there are some new colours for 2021
By coincidence M&P is where I bought mine. The fact that it is still not registered and taxed I find incredible. I have been buying bikes for over 50 years, (yes I am that old), and never experienced anything like it. Ordered three weeks ahead for the 21 plate and they couldn’t get it registered in time. I will be chasing them again tomorrow as, now that I have it, I would like to use it.

On the plus side there was some very slight damage to the paintwork on the tank when they delivered it and they are going to replace the tank without any problem.

They are a friendly bunch but something has gone wrong either with their system or at the DVLA. I don’t know yet exactly where the holdup is.

BTW their showrooms are not open to casual visitors. You will have to ring and arrange an appointment, (Covid restrictions).

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
LARRY99 and anyone else interested.

Paul at M&P told me you had been in. Did you buy?

M&P changed the tank with the chipped paintwork today, without any fuss at all, and threw in a full tank of petrol as an apology for the inconvenience. I was able to watch the technician swap the tank over so that served as an educational session too.

The delay in registering the bike was not their fault although it caused a lot of inconvenience to them.

I am happy now and love the bike.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
LARRY99 and anyone else interested.

Paul at M&P told me you had been in. Did you buy?
hi maison
yes spent a while in M&P yesterday with Paul , came across as a person I can trust and do business with,
glad you got the tank sorted , Paul will get back to me as to when I can have a test ride
the wife liked the black and chrome tank interceptor , shame it was still strapped to the transit pallet
Massive difference sitting on this small bike compared to my wing , takes me back to when I was sixteen , keep me informed how you get on with yours, (y)

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
hi maison
yes spent a while in M&P yesterday with Paul , came across as a person I can trust and do business with,
glad you got the tank sorted , Paul will get back to me as to when I can have a test ride
the wife liked the black and chrome tank interceptor , shame it was still strapped to the transit pallet
Massive difference sitting on this small bike compared to my wing , takes me back to when I was sixteen , keep me informed how you get on with yours, (y)
I certainly will.

Only covered 65miles so far, all today, and I am going through the running in process, so too soon to give any real feedback yet. However, everything so far has been positive. The only “detrimental” thing is that the foot pegs are in exactly the place where you need to put your feet down. However, after about three stops I have got used to it and no longer consider it a problem.

The most promising feeling is that, having only ridden a 125cc scooter for the last 5 years, (although I have been riding all kind of bikes since 1964), I felt fully at home on the bike within about 2 miles.

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
It’s got all the modern tech on it , something my old 990 Superduke never had. In saying that , the 990 was a fabulous bike and still is unless you have experienced the new model.

Very, very true - that's why we need new motorbikes on a regular basis!

I've been riding for over fifty years and I'm still amazed that each new model is way better than the previous.....

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Very, very true - that's why we need new motorbikes on a regular basis!

I've been riding for over fifty years and I'm still amazed that each new model is way better than the previous.....
I traded the 990 for the new 790 before getting the Beast, so I’m quite used to all the electronics. The 790 was good but suffered due to budget suspension and brakes.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Surprisingly the RE was delivered to me yesterday morning, with a warning that it had not yet been registered and taxed.

I have been chasing the dealership since then but, as of this evening, it is still not taxed. So I have had it in my garage/on my drive but can’t use it. I’ve spent the time fitting crash bars and a clock and polishing up the alloy but I’m getting a bit peeved with the dealer at the moment. Still, it will be bright and shiny when I can eventually use it!
First off enjoy the new bike, a couple of my mates have bought them, a bit of a long story I had a much similar situation to yourself re the non registering of my new Enfield though I had been riding mine for 3 months before the dealership told me, how it was taxed I never got to the bottom of.
The bike had a few faults so went back to the dealers, they had it for 6 weeks, then phoned me to say all was fixed but. 1st, it now had a different new reg number as it hadn't been registered with the DVLA and 2nd they had lost the ignition keys so could I send them the spare set.

Needles to say I told them to keep it, after a lot of discussion I came away with a Kawasaki W800 which I have to say is just brilliant, whilst the Enfield wasn't that bad the dealership was dreadfully inept and I will never again have anything to do with them.

I will be interesting to hear how you get on with the Bike, good luck with it.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's

I think registration delays during covid have largely been down to dvla, not dealers. A number of comments relating to new vans are in various sections of the MF forums.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I think registration delays during covid have largely been down to dvla, not dealers. A number of comments relating to new vans are in various sections of the MF forums.
Since then it was explained to me that the difficulty lay with a software failure on the behalf of the holding company/supplying agent that the Dealer works through. The demand for March 1st registration, together with an untimely “upgrade”, led to the IT system falling over.

Getting it up and running again was outside the direct control of the dealership who found it equally frustrating. Fortunately it is all resolved now and working properly for new customers.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
robnchris
Sorry to hear about your problems with the RE and the dealer.

It’s a bit early for much feedback as yet, due to Covid restrictions, but so far so good. The only problem, other than the registration issue, was a couple of small chips on the tank. Had I caused them a few weeks after getting the bike I wouldn’t have worried about them, but on a new bike I reported it.

No problem, the tank was exchanged for a new one which I was allowed to examine before it was fitted. I was also supplied with a full tank of fuel as a gesture for the inconvenience., together with an apology.

As a purely personal matter I am switching the clutch and brake levers for adjustable ones to make the stretch more comfortable. I have relatively small hands.

So far I am happy, both with the bike and the dealer but, if anything major arises, I will let you know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back