LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Having been forced to get rid of most of my beloved books..... GERALD Seymour, Patricia Cornwell, etc etc etc.. there were a few I could not let go because they touched my heart... The Velveteen Rabbit, Jonathen Livingston Seagull and one given to me recently by a beloved Funster, 'There's No Such Place as far away'. . To be treasured forever.

Well, this week have found another for those people who truly understand the depth of meaning, have magic in their hearts, who believe in hope and love...

The Boy, the mole, the fox and the horse.

Hope some of you enjoy. Xxx :)

IMG_20200307_174202.jpg

IMG_20200307_174116.jpg

IMG_20200307_174051.jpg

Puddleduck
REKERLY
@DP Jay
CWH
big map

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I have special treasured books too but they are bulky and heavy.
My techno sons constantly nag me to get them on a Kindle thingy but real books are so tactile, smell interesting, have character and patina and give me feeling of being in touch with the author, however far remote that may be.
I'm the same with my vinyl singles and LP's and their covers vs a sterile looking memory stick or other downloaded methods. An electronic download doesn't have the nostaglic Woodpecker cider or Watneys Red Barrel marks on it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thank you for the tag Joy.
I haven't come across this but must look it up - if for no other reason than that the sketches show somebody who REALLY KNOWS how a horse moves! (But the words look good too ...)
My must-keeps also include JLS, and also Mockingbird and my series of Precious Ramotswe novels. (I don't travel with them though, as I have a Tiny Van :winky: )

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thank you for the tag Joy.
I haven't come across this but must look it up - if for no other reason than that the sketches show somebody who REALLY KNOWS how a horse moves! (But the words look good too ...)
My must-keeps also include JLS, and also Mockingbird and my series of Precious Ramotswe novels. (I don't travel with them though, as I have a Tiny Van :winky: )

Wendy, the book is on offer in The Works at the moment. X

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Wendy, the book is on offer in The Works at the moment. X
... the nearest of which is 120 miles of Highland roads from here :hugs:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Movan

May we add to your list.

I agree about Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

In the same vein but factual, is Gavin Maxwell's 'Ring of Bright Water' and 'The Rocks Remain'

On a more serious note is Lawrence Durrel's 'The Alexandria Quartet', which I have read twice(three times?) and will never part with. On a lighter note, his 'Bitter Lemons' will always be with me - I have sat under the 'Tree of Idleness' in Bellepaix above Kyrenia in Cyprus.

And of course, 'Cider with Rosie'

That is enough for now, maybe more later.

Geoff

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Movan

May we add to your list.

I agree about Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

In the same vein but factual, is Gavin Maxwell's 'Ring of Bright Water' and 'The Rocks Remain'

On a more serious note is Lawrence Durrel's 'The Alexandria Quartet', which I have read twice(three times?) and will never part with. On a lighter note, his 'Bitter Lemons' will always be with me - I have sat under the 'Tree of Idleness' in Bellepaix above Kyrenia in Cyprus.

And of course, 'Cider with Rosie'

That is enough for now, maybe more later.

Geoff

Someone recommended Bitter Lemons to me once. Thank you for reminding me of the fact.

I shall search it out. (y)(y)

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Another book that lives in the van is Callanish by William Horwood;

The Callanish eagles strength is not in flight, or size, or speed but in a spirit whose power has been forged through time. A Callanish eagle captured for the London Zoo meets another aged eagle and vows to take her back to Callanish.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/h/william-horwood/callanish.htm

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
It is heartbreaking to get rid of books - but the companionship they give when you read them does not leave you. The Mouse and his child is one of my favourites Joy. I hope you are feeling better, thank you for the recommendation for the Boy ... Take care

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
movan Have you read Callanish?

I remember going to see the efforts to recapture Goldie.

I also once had an Imperial Eagle form up on me whilst flying an open cockpit glider, in Spain.

He came so close I felt I could reach out and touch his Primary features, if only digital cameras had been invented sooner!

Then one of those magical moments in life happened.

I was losing altitude and in the time I was mesmerising by the eagle I had flown into an area short of acceptable landing fields.

At that moment the eagle looked hard at me, twitched his head, let out a long squwark, peeled off and hunkered down into a 'death' glide. Death denotes the final glide of the flight before landing or finding a new source of lift.

I instinctively rolled after him.

Firstly he led me into an area of bouyant air, thereby extending my final glide that allowed me to clear a range of low hills and beyond the hills a flat plain full of safe landing fields.

Another loud squwark and my friend was gone, it seemed.

After a safe landing, I sat with a beer that was stashed in the airframe, looking up my friend was climbing out on a late evening thermal that was way too weak for me.

And this true story neatly segues into my third travel book companion book;

The Shepherd by Frederick Forsythe.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd
Like JLS you can read it in one sitting.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
"When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit"kept me up all night and made me cry and laugh and think deep.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Cheers Joy movan
JLS one of my early days reading and sometimes go back to it as I have it on my tablet .
Also for peaceful moments Tarker the Otter,another favorite .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back