My Knee v. The Key (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Ducato cab blues dept.

The ignition key for our 2018 150HP cab has a quite a long remote locking key fob, and the ignition switch is positioned relatively low on the column. I'm not overly tall at just under 6 ft / 1.83m but can't find a way to get the seat low enough to avoid the key rubbing on my knee all the time. I've tried reclining the back rest / pulling the wheel all the way in or out / lowering the front &/or rear of the squab / sliding the seat back and forward but when ever I get the wheel at the right distance from me and my feet on the pedals. then my knee is right up on the key.

First world problem, I know, but has anyone got any bright ideas (or is a fellow sufferer to make me feel less of a whinger) ??

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Do you fold the key back as far as it will go into the body using the button? Works for me.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have long legs too

And loop the keys over the ignition key as shown below

Works for me

0F6FF47C-F14B-4E73-A552-9ED7D07625AE.jpeg

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
Yes. I’m 5’9” and it really annoys me, especially when wearing shorts. The only solution I could think of is to get a shorter spare key cut without all the locking buttons. Timpsons will cut and programme a standard Fiat key for £60. I’ve tried a ‘mock-up’ with an old car key and it helps but it may not totally eliminate the problem. You would loose the convenience of the central locking/access function; it depends on which irritates most! I’ve learnt to live with the original key!!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Do you have spare keys? Use the spare ignition key instead of the remote key, that may help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would look at a complete redesign.

Can you adjust the seat so that it rubs against something better than a knee?:whistle:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I don’t seem to have that problem.....:D2

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I had a similar problem. The key will work whichever way up you put it. I tended to insert it so the key fob hung down so avoiding my knee. Then one day my knee caught it in this position pushing it forward and switching the engine off whilst moving. Not very nice but luckily on a quiet road.
I have since always put the key in the other way up and just put up with the annoyance of my knee touching it, it’s far better than it switching off.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
You can buy a different seat box that will lower you by about two inches. I did this on the van as I am very tall and was peering out from under the top of the windscreen. Can’t remember where I got it from now but could look it up tomorrow if you can’t find it and are interested.
This may work for you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Swap keys with the boss so she has the bulky one, thats what I have done, also with the Hymer leather key pouch I find I can rest that in the tray just in front of the column and that keeps the keys out of the way.

Deleted User
Try moving the steering wheel up a bit higher, the lock moves up with it (y) I'm 6'4" tall and don't have this problem, but I have the steering wheel at its highest position ;)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Well I can't offer a solution but I am glad to hear there is another advantage to having short legs other than being able to travel on budget airlines in relative comfort.

Those taunts of "Oi, chimpanzee legs!" will be slightly more easier to take now.

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
You can buy a different seat box that will lower you by about two inches. I did this on the van as I am very tall and was peering out from under the top of the windscreen. Can’t remember where I got it from now but could look it up tomorrow if you can’t find it and are interested.
This may work for you.

If you can find the details I’d be interested, struggling to find a comfortable position and a couple of inches might help.

Thanks

Jim

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Lowered seat box from the likes of Marcle
Link Removed
& Sportscraft
https://leisurevehicleservices.co.uk/sportscraft-seating-parts/
...not cheap but it's amazing what a couple of inches makes
[oo-err missus :blusher:].

But not really that surprising... van manufacturer spends hours/thousands trying to design best seating/driving position for a driver spending all day in their van... then along comes a motorhome converter who simply slaps a swivel in raising the seat by a couple of inches...
:doh:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
But not really that surprising... van manufacturer spends hours/thousands trying to design best seating/driving position for a driver spending all day in their van... then along comes a motorhome converter who simply slaps a swivel in raising the seat by a couple of inches...
I wonder if that’s the reason there are lots of folk complaining about how hard it is to see the dash board clearly?(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I wonder if that’s the reason there are lots of folk complaining about how hard it is to see the dash board clearly?(y)
It's an interesting thought...
I've never had any issue with seeing my dashboard but I just assumed it must be slightly different as my van is a Citroen base... never occurred to me that because I have the lowered seat boxes, I might just be in the proper driving position.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If you can find the details I’d be interested, struggling to find a comfortable position and a couple of inches might help.

Thanks

Jim
Found it!
Sorry for the delay. They were very helpful.

marcleleisure.co.uk

They are in Wrexham,but I spoke to the guy on the phone to make sure I was getting the right one for my Ducato X244,and he posted it to the dealer who fitted it. If you are any good with a spanner I’m sure you could diy,but I’m lazy and would often rather pay someone who isn’t going to mess it up!

The only downside is that the swivel is a bit more awkward than it was,but I can live with that.

Jan 16, 2017
Hillingdon
Funster No
MH
Vantage Med
Exp
Since 2017
My batteries are below the seat and a lowered seat base is not an option. It’s a bit ‘tight’ under there!

OP
OP
Burgo
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
The lower seat box seems to be the answer - but I suspect not doable as our Electroblok is stuffed under the drivers seat and another battery under the passenger's. Must admit I agree with the earlier comment re the converter not taking the height into account, as I do feel we are a bit high up compared to the height of the windscreen as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back