My High Altitude Balloon Flight (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
DBK
I am interested to see how you go on with airplanes as I can see your device went to 100kft that's right through the height that airplanes use?
Phil
The flight was approved by the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) so they were obviously happy with the plans. But balloons like mine are released umpteen times a day to get weather information. The screen shot below shows these balloons launched in the last 24 hours. Some more info here: https://amof.ac.uk/instruments/vaisala-radiosonde-2/

RS1.png

I know a payload similar to the one I used has been shown to a Rolls Royce turbine blade expert who said if ingested into an engine it wouldn't be catastrophic but the engine might need a bit of TLC afterwards. It was the AA batteries which were the main issue. But I'm not aware of any crashes being caused by these small balloons although a plane was brought down in Germany recently after colliding with a (full sized) hot air balloon. Ultimately, pilots just use their eyeballs I guess.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Here are some screenshots from my eldest son's phone which he recorded as we chased after the balloon.

This one at 30,317m not long before burst. It is still going strongly upwards at 5.3 m/s and horizontally at 9.3 m/s. The rate of ascent became faster as it got higher. Less air resistance I suspect. Soon after launch it was below 3 m/s at times.

CJ1.png

After burst the balloon descends under a parachute and the icon on the map changes accordingly - just to make sure you know what is happening. :) The car images are where we were waiting. There are two because I had two tracking systems.

CJ3.png

Once on the ground the icon changes again. The red line is the final part of the flight path. The 157m altitude is of course the height above sea level. :)

CJ2.png

The GPS fixes converted to a KML file create an interesting image of the flight path in Google Earth.

The launch site is on the right. Google Earth must be used to KML files like this because it inserted the pins marked Burst and Landing! The orientation of the map is looking south.

GE-3.png

Viewed from the south.

GE-1.jpg

There was so little wind the balloon went more or less straight up after launch as this close-up of the start of the flight shows. It was nearly two kilometres high before it left the boundary of the launch field!

GE-2.jpg

Because it was still transmitting on the ground it wasn't hard to find but even if we had lost contact with it we knew to within a field or two where to look as the landing site is predicted by the map. You can see this in the screenshot image above with the parachute icon. The landing site at this point was being predicted further north but as the balloon descended the system updated the prediction and eventually was almost spot on.

This image was the last one it took before landing. The corner of the field in the bottom left was the field it landed in. This isn't a very good image, probably due to movement of the camera and the angle of the sun.

14_16_51.jpg

The payload wasn't just transmitting GPS fixes, it also continued to take photographs. :)

Lying on its side sadly no sheep in view.

14_47_51.jpg

An approaching human. :)

14_48_53.jpg

Who picks it up!

P8095711.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2014
tetbury
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Expedition
Exp
Long time
Been interested in this sort of thing since I found a met office balloon as a very young lad, and received a reward for it's return! Meteorological interest probably started then, and have never lost interest always something new!
Presumably if you carefully balance gas in the balloon against weight of the payload you can adjust rate of ascent and height of burst!
How the hell do you organise your time so well?!!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Been interested in this sort of thing since I found a met office balloon as a very young lad, and received a reward for it's return! Meteorological interest probably started then, and have never lost interest always something new!
Presumably if you carefully balance gas in the balloon against weight of the payload you can adjust rate of ascent and height of burst!
How the hell do you organise your time so well?!!!
Within limits the balloon will go higher with less gas inside it. If you put a lot of gas in it will go up very quickly but burst at a low altitude. The compromise is if it ascends too slowly it will drift a long way before bursting and given we have a lot of sea around here this can be a problem. :) The flight therefore has to stay over land so it can't be too long down here. Typical rates of ascent are between 4 and 6 m/s. I went for 4.2 and it actually achieved close to that on average, slower to begin with then faster towards the end.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Fascinating stuff...👍🏼

I’ll be your first aviator..... and probably the last but what a ride...😁

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
It weighs about a 100g and is mostly 20mm thick expanded polystyrene. It was falling just before landing at 4 m/s (9 mph) which is quite slow. A pigeon or pheasant would do much more damage and they are a lot more common.

That may be but it doesn't avoid an inexperienced or startled driver slamming on the brakes as they see it approaching the windscreen and causing pile up does it.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What dictates the choice of different gases? Cost? Expansion, at different temperatures/pressures?
Hydrogen is cheapest by a huge margin, you can get a cylinder with almost 9 cu m of hydrogen for the same price as I paid for three cannisters of party gas helium which is 97% pure and gave me less than 1 cu m although that was enough. Pure helium is now very hard to get. But using hydrogen comes with additional costs not least you need a regulator and you don't own the bottle but rent it monthly at a not inconsiderable cost.
Hydrogen gives more lift but not massively. My balloon would probably have gone thousand metres higher on hydrogen. Hydrogen is also easier to keep in balloons, helium is notorious for escaping. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen a short video taken with an electron microscope, of liquid helium leaking through the walls of a glass test tube !
It seems counter-intuitive that helium is, for want of a better phrase, less viscous than hydrogen but it is. There seem to be two reasons. The first is of course it isn't a comparison between a single atom of hydrogen and a single helium atom. The hydrogen goes bi-molecular and it is H2 versus He. A much more subtle thing is helium has two electrons and these fill the first electron shell and a full or "complete" shell is smaller than one which is in-complete. The result is even if you were comparing single atoms the helium one would still be smaller. The complete shell also has no stray electrons to attach to anything, which is why helium is one of the "noble gases" and is inert. So as it passes through something it has no inclination to latch on to a stray electron attached belonging to another atom. )

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It seems counter-intuitive that helium is, for want of a better phrase, less viscous than hydrogen but it is. There seem to be two reasons. The first is of course it isn't a comparison between a single atom of hydrogen and a single helium atom. The hydrogen goes bi-molecular and it is H2 versus He. A much more subtle thing is helium has two electrons and these fill the first electron shell and a full or "complete" shell is smaller than one which is in-complete. The result is even if you were comparing single atoms the helium one would still be smaller. The complete shell also has no stray electrons to attach to anything, which is why helium is one of the "noble gases" and is inert. So as it passes through something it has no inclination to latch on to a stray electron attached belonging to another atom. )
Exactly my thoughts too....😳

😂

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Did you follow these guys? Very interesting.
I haven't seen that before but I know of a project which took a model glider up and then released it. From memory the balloon was launched on the South East coast somewhere and the idea was for the glider to land on mainland Europe. I think it was successful. :)

Afternote: There are legals Issues around launching things from balloons in the uk. This is mentioned in this article.

Last edited:

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
No 'funster' logo on the balloon would be my only critique.

Very interesting and great photos.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
No 'funster' logo on the balloon would be my only critique.

Very interesting and great photos.
I did think of approaching Jim for a sticker but I wasn't sure if he would want MHF associated with a disaster if that was the result of the flight!

More mundanely my insurance excluded anything vaguely commercial. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back