My Garage Experience - Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I booked a local garage to do some work on the new to us Motorhome. Work required was - Major Service, Cambelt Change, Speedo not working, Temp Gauge not working and fit Air Suspension (supplied by Me)
They had the Motorhome for 4 days (it went in on a Monday and the Air Ride arrived on Tuesday, but they couldnt fit it until Thursday.)
When I went to collect it I was told it was all done and serviced so I paid the Bill (circa £800). I asked how long the Speedo and Temp Gauge took as I had been given a discount by the Seller to cover this fault and was then taken to the Mechanic who informed me he hadn't been able to fix it them as it needs to go to a Peugeot Dealer)
I then went to the Motorhome and found some slight (£248 worth it turns out) damage to to the left rear panel of the Motorhome. We know it wasn't there before we left it there, I pointed it out to the head Guy and he told me it was Sun Damage then he said it hadn't happened on their Property and later on the phone he referred to a notice in the workshop saying that they are not responsible for any damage that occurs.
The Owner of the Business has the attitude that I should be happy with the work they carried out and that the damage did not happen whilst they had the Motorhome in their care.

Any Ideas how we should proceed (we are opening a dispute with Mastercard)?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
If you have not already told the garage that you have opened a dispute with Mastercard, I would tell them.

I believe that Mastercard will claw back your payment until the matter is resolved - in other words the garage has not been paid.

Just telling them this might sort things out............ no payment, unhappy customer...... no win for the garage

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Speak to Trading Standards they can often help with despite a with Motor Dealers. Best of luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I doubt I have to suggest this as you will be doing it already I'm sure...

but write down exact details of everything said with the date and time of the conversation.

My phone can record face to face conversations which I would do if I were in your situation and, most important, stay calm at all times and never shout and/or swear.

and then do all the stuff the other Funsters advise.

Good luck and keep us updated...

JJ :cool:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Is there any public notice's within the 'reception' area warning you they do not accept any liability for alleged damage/or likewise..similar to the notices as in NCL car parks

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What JJ says.

Also the notice in the workshop about not taking any responsibility for loss or damage to your vehicle is unlikely to be of any use to them. You cannot by means of such a notice limit or excuse your own negligence. Therefore it may protect them in respect of damage caused by someone else, but not damage caused by them.

Good luck

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What JJ says.

Also the notice in the workshop about not taking any responsibility for loss or damage to your vehicle is unlikely to be of any use to them. You cannot by means of such a notice limit or excuse your own negligence. Therefore it may protect them in respect of damage caused by someone else, but not damage caused by them.

Good luck

Thinking about it, that's is not strictly right (blush)

That only applies to death or injury exclusions.

In the present case they would specifically need to draw your attention to the notice in advance, which I am sure they didn't.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
On the flip side , I have had cars collected from my work and owners when walking to their repaired cleaned car notice a (new) dent, that was under the dirt on the opposite repaired side.
Then I have to explain that if I created the dent I would have fixed it for free.
They drive away disgruntled making me look the villan:cry:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Pictures and proof please
His word he didnt aint good enough, why should yours that he did be:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - have told them that we are going to open a dispute but the Owner seems to think that I should be happy with the service received and the damage is unrelated to the payment

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The garage owner has already proved that he's not trustworthy by saying its all done and getting you to pay then you find out that the job is actually incomplete.

Businesses have to have Public Liability insurance by law - ask for the details of his insurance company and notify them of your claim! Threaten to Issue a writ in the small claims court for the amount of the damage, court costs and interest if he fails to pay up for the damage after 7 days notice in writing from you that you hold his business responsible. You can do it online and doesn't cost much and you get the court fee back if and when you win. Just show that you aren't going to roll over on this. If he fails to turn up to court you will automatically win and get judgement. Yes written notes of what was said by whom and when are vital and any photos if you can.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Pictures and proof please
His word he didnt aint good enough, why should yours that he did be:rolleyes:

Your right Geo - its our certain knowledge that the damage wasn't there against theirs that it didn't happen while they were working on it. I would say that with the list of things it went in for, if the damage was there before, I would have been asking them to quote/recommend a repairer at the time it was booked in.
We are away for a couple of weeks and Mastercard are sending a form to fill in so we will see when we get back.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks - have told them that we are going to open a dispute but the Owner seems to think that I should be happy with the service received and the damage is unrelated to the payment
I think the card company will see it that way too
Bear in mind im playing devils advocate here not expressing an opinion as i have no insight to it
Have you considered the scenario whereby it was damaged at his place by a third unknown and he genuinely has no knowlege of it
Or it was damaged at your place but you genuinly didnt notice it
you seem blinded to both,
However the two things are totally unrelated both financially and legally the law is extremely clear and simple, you may not like it but here it is
You have had what you have been charged for--- pay it
You claim damage to your vehicle --- sue him

You cant trade one off against the other except by agreement and he clearly does not agree
The card company would be in dire straights if they stopped payment for work done.
They would in effect be judging your claim and thats is definatley not in their remit

a picture of the damage would say 10 thousand words here, his claim of Sun Damage is so far removed from an accidental damage claim its almost beyond belief
Geo

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Of course it could be that one of the staff did it and not owned up.

the boss thinks it's not down to him

you know it's not down to you

Impass

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I hope you win your case if it goes to court but when i take my van to a garage i always ask if someone can have a quick look around with me to make sure there is no damage they could be blamed for when i come to pick it up and always found they are happy to do so . Obviously its to ensure no toss pot damages my van and claims it was there when i arrived.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
A
I hope you win your case if it goes to court but when i take my van to a garage i always ask if someone can have a quick look around with me to make sure there is no damage they could be blamed for when i come to pick it up and always found they are happy to do so . Obviously its to ensure no toss pot damages my van and claims it was there when i arrived.

And to do walk around with one of our dash cams would be a great idea. The front films the van the rear films the van owner and garage employee

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the work or lack of it on your van and a claim against the garage's insurance for damage sustained within their care are clearly two separate things. disputing the bill because they failed to carry out work billed for or of a poor standard will need evidence. but so will any claim for damage to the vehicle.

i honestly think you are onto a losing course of action disputing with mastercard because of the damage. you will remain liable for the cost of the work carried out

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
agree with geo here. did you notice if they have cctv on site. if so ask to see coverage you may be able to prove situation on damage .
I have cameras to record and hopefully avoid such situations.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We always take photos of our cars before they go in for service and get the garage to do a thorough vehicle map of damage.

Only due to a bad experience years ago.

When we use London Borough of Redbridge, we get a member of staff to walk around our vehicle with us because ..... not being funny
they usually tell us first if they have done something wrong and we trust them more because of that.

Our new car has come with a 5 year warranty and 3 years free service.

We are taking it in for all the parts to be marked to ensure the garage does its job properly.

As I am usually the person dropping off the car I get fed up with the "oh its a dumb female and she wont notice attitude"

Caught one garage out and got them shut down. Hell hath no fury than a gail scorned

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just have to accept that when I was told by the receptionist that it was all fixed and serviced when it wasn't and the damage appeared while it was in their care (my knowledge against their word).
Maybe they will start doing a damage report when taking vehicles in and I will certainly be doing the same in the future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back