Fifiwi

Free Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Just a quick gripe...I've just been filling in an online form- at Go Compare- for Motorhome Insurance. I answered the usual questions- name, address, previous claims, etc...but then there's the question of employment.
For Mr, it's easy, he's retired, with no regrets.

Me, well, I work 12.25 hrs a week as a driver. So, I'm asked what my fulltime occupation is. Nothing really suits- I'm not a student, not unemployed, not retired, I don't have "independent means", I just choose to work part time. I ended up putting "domestic duties"...Mr laughed at that "fulltime housework, hahahahaha!!!" ;):giggle::giggle: I would happily say part time domestic duties, but fulltime???
The next question on the form covers working less than 16 hours a week- yip, that's me. No problem with categorising my job.
It just rankled me a bit that I had the first question to complete.
Rant over.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
SWMBO put 'Domestic Engineer' to this question some years ago.
She has now given up driving but we still get offers of Insurance where it asks if she is still a 'Domestic Engineer'
Whatever you put in that box will be put on file. I suggest you be as flippant and daring as you wish.

PS. I recall one occasion when she was asked on the phone when trying to speak to me at work, "Who's speaking please," SWMBO replied, "His Mistress!!!" The face of the telephone answerer was a picture.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try putting 'barman' and watch your premium rise.
My mate is a nightclub bar manager and the only way he could get a sensible quote was put 'entertainment manager'

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It just rankled me a bit that I had the first question to complete.
Rant over.

It's no use making a joke out of it, if what you give them is not 100% accurate then they have a get out should you claim. If you don't complain then the next poor punter is in the same position.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
None of my three current occupations feature in any insurer's drop menu when looking for quotes.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It has become nonsensical in the UK. Here there are the usual questions like employment , daily use of vehicle etc; but as it is the vehicle being insured it doesn't really matter as anyone over 25 could be driving it. Additionally using a broker, who unlike the UK still works for you, they do all the lyingwork with a claim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back