My engine is vibrating and shaking van, only happens on Motorways (1 Viewer)

Robert Small

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Winchcombe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
I have an Fiat Autotrail 2.8 D, W reg. Over last few years I have been getting a vibration that appears to be coming from the engine but shakes the whole Van. It only occurs on Motorways and used to happen rarely and not for very long, this summer we did 3,000 miles but had no trouble until we hit the M20 around Ashford and lasted 20 miles then stopped. The last three times I've used it it has lasted longer until it lasted almost all the time from Exeter to Tewksbury but stopped as soon as I got off the motorway and even at the same speeds 50/55 did not start again. At first ,in Germany, I thought it was the road surface and again in England but I asked my mechanic when he put a new gearbox in to check the engine mountings, fine. Any ideas, is it the drive shaft? is it just an old van, my mechanic doesn't seem to know except he feels the Van has years left in her. Please help.

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
You've probably already thought of this but are the wheel nuts tightened up?

OP
OP
R

Robert Small

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Winchcombe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Thanks for the reply but they are okay, checked during the last MOT

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
It could be Wheel Balance coupled with weak shockers, Is it more prominent on one side?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i seriously hope youre not implying you dont regularly check road wheels and tyres, leaving it to a yearly MOT

sounds like distorted tyres to me.....gets worse as tyres heat up on the motorway. tyres need replacing every 5-7 years regardless of tread

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
no trouble until we hit the M20 around Ashford
Some of the M20 in that area is old concrete instead of tarmac and I think everyones vehicle vibrates along there .. I know mine does!

Another possibility is worn engine mounts.

OP
OP
R

Robert Small

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Winchcombe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Not as I have noticed. But I can get someone to look at them. Thanks
i seriously hope youre not implying you dont regularly check road wheels and tyres, leaving it to a yearly MOT

sounds like distorted tyres to me.....gets worse as tyres heat up on the motorway. tyres need replacing every 5-7 years regardless of tread
Had a recent MOT. But will get the tyres checked Thanks.

OP
OP
R

Robert Small

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Winchcombe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Scout
Exp
Some of the M20 in that area is old concrete instead of tarmac and I think everyones vehicle vibrates along there .. I know mine does!

Another possibility is worn engine mounts.
According a mechanic they were okay when he replaced the gear box.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Had the same on a car once. Was moisture inside one of the tyres. Took it back to the tyre fitters - removed tyre, cleaned and refitted. Sorted the problem.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
According a mechanic they were okay when he replaced the gear box.

I am not a mechanic but I seem to remember, way back, like 40 years that you would get a similar problem if the prop shaft or drive shaft from the gear box was running out of balance. I notice that the gear box has been changed, did he put it back in the same position? I seem to remember if you turned it just one hole it was not running "true".

As I say, that is.....way back thinking, so forgive me if it is wrong.(y)

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Is it on accelerating only ?
If so it's the n/s drive shaft
I have the same problem but can't find the correct drive shaft.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
A while ago I had a problem with a Vito, the tyre place told me it was a vehicle problem took it to the merc dealer and he said straight way it was a distorted tyre, back to the tyre place and it was, new tyre and problem solved, a couple of years ago it happened on our VW T5 as well, they say that Michelins & Continentals are the worst for it and yes I have had one of each, Michelin contributed half the cost on to new ones on the VW.
Dave

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you have had a new gear box I would check either prop shaft or drive shafts. (y)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
In some vehicles there may be a "balance" fitted to the drive shaft to the wheels.........one side usually longer than the other.......check that this "balance" isn't free and is clamped in the correct position.

Hope you find a solution soon.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'd go with the distorted tyre - had this happen to me twice on 2 different cars. Replaced tyres, problem went away.

You probably only notice it on motorways as they are generally much smoother than ordinary roads and any vibration is more apparent.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Would be interested in the diagnosis when you find out what the problem was. I had a works Citroen Relay that used to have similar symptoms it would vibrate violently with the feeling of something to do with driveshafts.....we would stop...... then carry on with no problems. It only happened two or three times in a 139,000 miles.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Would be interested in the diagnosis when you find out what the problem was. I had a works Citroen Relay that used to have similar symptoms it would vibrate violently with the feeling of something to do with driveshafts.....we would stop...... then carry on with no problems. It only happened two or three times in a 139,000 miles.

you'll be lucky......the op became a read only member at 3.26pm yesterday......no more free posts.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I would get the front wheels balanced. That would show up a distorted tyre, damaged wheel or just out of balance.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
far too many people just presume that if a vehicle passes an MOT once a year it cant have any mechanical defects. loads of things can easily slip through the MOT inspection and to be blunt the driver is responsible for the roadworthiness of the vehicle on all journeys. I know some people rarely even check tyre pressures and fluid levels if ever. then they are surprised when they break down

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
A while ago I had a problem with a Vito, the tyre place told me it was a vehicle problem took it to the merc dealer and he said straight way it was a distorted tyre, back to the tyre place and it was, new tyre and problem solved, a couple of years ago it happened on our VW T5 as well, they say that Michelins & Continentals are the worst for it and yes I have had one of each, Michelin contributed half the cost on to new ones on the VW.
Dave
Quite right,I was in my local garage here and in trundled the Michelin truck,the boss who unloaded it took one one and threw it to one side and said to me "take a look" I was amazed to see it was nowhere near round!!
Must be a quality control problem but this one was miles out.
I have put Conti's on the back of mine recently and luckily at the moment they seem fine.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
if it comes and goes it sounds like the drive shafts

For good prices on drive shafts try JR driveshafts in brum 0121 242 820
i think they will post out

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you put the palms of your hands flat against the tread then the sidewalls of the tyres and slide them lightly over the surfaces, you can often feel flat spots or out of rounds on your tyres that your eye doesnt see.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
far too many people just presume that if a vehicle passes an MOT once a year it cant have any mechanical defects. loads of things can easily slip through the MOT inspection and to be blunt the driver is responsible for the roadworthiness of the vehicle on all journeys. I know some people rarely even check tyre pressures and fluid levels if ever. then they are surprised when they break down
You are quite right.
The MoT test does not include wheel nut tightness checks other than a wiggle to see if the wheels fall off, and a visual for loose nuts.
G

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

If you asked for the wheel nuts to be checked then yes, but they won't be checked as part of the MOT........

.......sorry Geo, should have read on further.........Griff

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
The big problem with all the Fiat engine configurations was the engine mounts. They are made using the 'metalastic' process, where the steel is bonded to the rubber. This can become 'unbonded' after time, or quicker if there is any oil contamination, causing the engine itself to drop slightly. This can become a source of vibration, only noticed at constant speed and over a distance.
Open the bonnet with the vehicle on a flat(ish) surface. Does the engine block look 'canted' to one side or the other?? Hold the rocker cover with both hands. Can you 'rock' the engine back and forwards?? If 'yes' to one or both tests, get your mountings checked/changed.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
best way to check engine mounts is to have someone lift the clutch while you look at the engine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back