My driving in Italy story !!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Anyway, a brief update and an answer to an earlier question, we ventured back on to the motorway today!
Did the A15 from La Spezia up to Parma, before heading off the toll road to Mantova where we are now.

The motorway was....................fab! Hardly any traffic, smooth, wide lanes, and spectacular scenery !!! Mustve just been that coastal bit that was shite ;)
( see pic for today's view from the cab!)

However, there's always a but isn't there:D2
The normal road from Parma to Mantova was, shall we say bumpy? No, that's an understatement. I fully expect my van to completely collapse and desintegrate like one of those cartoon cars any moment !!! There can't be a single bolt left tighto_O
Not even gonna open the cupboards:p
Can't open a beer either, it'll spray everywhere:mad:
Still, suns out and it's hot hot hot :D
And found a free car park with a free shuttle bus into town every 15 mins, so can't be bad! Gonna freeload tonight :love:

IMG_0838.JPG

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Bob and Janie, try Bardolino it's fab, lovely cycle path along the lake to Garda, ACSI sites on the lake front, nice restaurants in Bardolino and boat trips across the lake. We were there last month and really enjoyed it..

View attachment 162809
View from the campsite continental Bardolino
View attachment 162810
Market day at Garda
View attachment 162811
Cycle path around to Bardolino

HI, arrived on site today, nice site but very busy only 2 acsi pitches to choose from, we are up the top near bins bit tight and can't get level :rolleyes: but handy for showers toilets and for Janie to do the washing. ;)
Had a nice cycle both ways but became weak at the knees and had to come back for a beer. :LOL: I would say fun with a tag axle @BreweryDave :LOL: . Bob.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We took a caravan down to Sicily and back in 2014, never ever will I venture into Italy again. The roads were shite and the drivers were worse. Hated the whole trip with a vengeance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
La Rocca it's in a nice location but the acsi pitches are the first 4 rows from the road and full, the girl in reception said she has never known it so busy at this time of year, it seems everyone is going to lake garda. :LOL: Bob
Haha, that's cos they heard we woz cumin !!!
Arriving on Butterfly soony- glad I emailed ahead and booked !!!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We looked at the Rocca site it was busy when we were there but it was easter.

Butterfly was packed and they sent us next door to a huge site, nice big (for Italy) pitches but full of noisy Italians...it was like being in the godfather but with plastic chairs and tablecloths.

We caught the train to Verona, nice and easy about €5, good day out.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You should try crossing Milan during the Friday evening rush hour. Not for the faint hearted either.(n)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Only been to Milan once, with a coach. Early afternoon we were parked up with around 100 other coaches in a nice open area in the centre, although not an official parking place. However we were not obstructing anybody despite being double and triple parked, just moved when someone needed out.

Then the local police chief, with all the gold braid and scrambled egg, turned up. Told us all to b----r off.

The next two hours were absolute bedlam in the already crowded city as 100 coaches all drove round and round trying to find somewhere to park, completely blocking up the road system!

Happy days!

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Can't say we love Butterfly, bit like butlins :cool: too many holiday chalets and kids, and not really set up for touring vans Imho.
Town is good tho! Gonna hire a speedboat on the lake tomorrow !!!

Heading up to Malcesine on Friday ( ) and just might do the paragliding from the top of the mountain :eek:

Then it's north to Austria :D

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Mount Boldo views are stunning!, as is Malcesine

We got married in the castle there, look forward to some pics

Andy

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Janie is always saying she wants to do paragliding :rolleyes: her 3.9m kite use to scare her at times. :LOL:
Yes know what you mean about the site, a week was enough for us, but we enjoyed it and the staff are very friendly, might have seen the funster sticker and flagged up @hilldweller ;) only joking Brian.
Safe travels might bump into you when get back in July.(y) Bob.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Well we left lake garda @BreweryDave Dave and Jackie and saw this truck, and thought well.....if he has not got milk on board he might have wine. ;) so followed him and we are now in Croatia 28c and the sea is warm. (y) Bob and Janie.View attachment 163455
Where in Croatia ? Any recommendations, we are in Slovenia at Ankaran and heading that way soon.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hmm, going to Italy for a few months in September, this topic has made me glad I've planned to enter via Switzerland. I hope it's not quite do mad.? Will be doing the boot so I'll have to deal with it sometime!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back