My DIY fluorescent-to-LED light modifications (1 Viewer)

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi everyone,

Thought you might be interested in my halogen-to-led modification :)

I was keen to keep the lighting unit original (to look at) and to also use the original switch, so it was a bit fiddly but worth the effort.

The original lighting unit:

download

Underneath:

download

A short strip of flexible LED (SMD-type) from Aten Lighting:

download

Close up:

download

Starting to remove the original tubes:

download

Close up:

download

This next step was probably the hardest, or the most fiddly for sure!

Due to the age of my motorhome (+15yrs now) the plastics are becoming quite brittle. This probably wouldn't be an issue on a newer MH, but either way, if you're attempting this, GO EASY :)

There's a plastic divider inside the housing which keeps the tubes in place. This was in my way as I wanted to mount the LED strip right down the middle (it would seriously affect my OCD otherwise!).

With the aid of a seriously sharp stanley knife, i carefully cut out the centre divider:

download

The end result, a surface flat enough for sticking the LED strip on (which comes with 3M sticky stuff on the back already):

download

The next step was to remove the old electrics. The new LED strip is 12v so none of the halogen gubbins is required. Be sure to leave the switch in place, this will be needed:

download

New LED strip stuck in place:

download

Solder the new LED strip in to the OEM switch:

download

Test it works (important!):

download

And with the diffuser in place:

download

Job done, time for a brew:

download

So there we have it, a relatively simple but effective modification. As I mentioned, I was keen to keep the very original look, complete with original switch. This started off as a proof-of-concept type mod, more to see if it was possible than anything else.

Naturally being as pleased as I was with the end result, I then had to go and upgrade all the other ones too :LOL:

The photos of the light when lit don't do it justice, it's impossible to take a decent photo of a bulb using a mobile phone :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope this provides some incentive or guidance to others, I'll happily answer any questions or provide help where I can (y)

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just to add, the LED strip is polarity-sensitive. Be sure to fit the switch on the POSITIVE side of the wiring (the red wire pictured above).

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
That wasn't a halogen light unit it was a fluorescent unit. Other than that its a nice tidy job, well done.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I have absolutely no idea of what is in your pictures or what you did. But I'm the person who had the blown lights taken out my ceiling ( little round things, sunk into the ceiling) and have absolutely no dea where to get new ones that fit, or how to fit them. I expect to be living by candle light by the end of the year.......
Why was I not taught sensible things in school instead of Latin and religion.

OP
OP
RogerThat

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
The fluorescent are far more complicated, its all downhill now for you to get the rest done

They're all done!

Some were easier as they only had one tube (bathroom, overcab bed, kitchen sink) - same principal though :)

I think my only regret was not measuring the actual energy consumption of the old fluorescent vs the new LED ones.

Why was I not taught sensible things in school instead of Latin and religion.

I was taught those subjects too! Not sure I've used either since I left though :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I think my only regret was not measuring the actual energy consumption of the old fluorescent vs the new LED ones.

Good job :) , yip when i did mine the other day before changing any i was using like 10 amps , then after all changed to LED's was down to 2 amps or less , but i did notice my two florescent lights which each had 1 tube ( so the same as what you took out ) well the useage from them 2 single tube lights was 1.6 amps , now all my lights run for not much more :)
So i would say about 1.6 amps for your light

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back