Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
This is the first time we've had a front lounge van and is really cold with a draught coming in from the cab area. I've tried putting a curtain across but it comes from underneath somewhere. I've now stuffed blankets and the said curtain around the bottom of the can doors to see if that helps.
We're in benidorm so the outside temperature is not as bad as the uk, thank goodness we travelled down. It would be really bad there.
We have exterior screens and interior screens on as well.we have the heating on early morning and late at night before bed. Any ideas how to insulate this van? Please?

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
One tip we picked up sometime ago was that as soon as we park up is to shut all the cab dashboard air vents and also turn the heating vent to re-circulating.
Also our habitation door foot well has an air vent each side so on really cold nights we drop a spare blanket into the foot well to reduce draughts from there.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Air in van is set to recirculate. I've stuffed blankets into the footwell. Any other ideas gratefully received.we are in the shade most most of the day in the site with no spaces available in sun.will have to bide the time until one comes available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I bought two magnetic blank number plates in white, cut them to size and cover air intakes on the bonnet. the difference is very noticeable.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
It gets cold in Benidorm !! I don,t believe it !!
Early this morning the external temp guage on the van was showing 1deg, we do get the occasional frosty morning this time of year but now sat outside in warm sunshine on the front :cooler:
Cheers
Ed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The seat belt 'housings' (ie where the belts run in/out of on the side) often let in a lot of cold air so see if you can find where it's getting in underneath the MH and whilst you're under there also take a look at where the cab seats are as again there are some vent holes under them too which you can bung up!

Definitely change the cab vent to recirculating and also close off the air vents themselves as the air in the pipes gets cold which then comes into the van too.

The cab doors have vent holes in them usually and/or in the foot wells too so have a look for them but remember to leave at least one free so that there is some airflow/gas escape route. Also check the roof light as some don't have seals on so let a LOT of air in, also the habitation door itself or the foot well often has vents in ... gaffer tape is very useful for blocking some of them off!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
bubblewrap under the cab carpet?
... pop ... pop .... pop .... every time you get in a bit tooo enthusiastically!!!
:clap2:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
This is the first time we've had a front lounge van and is really cold with a draught coming in from the cab area. I've tried putting a curtain across but it comes from underneath somewhere. I've now stuffed blankets and the said curtain around the bottom of the can doors to see if that helps.
We're in benidorm so the outside temperature is not as bad as the uk, thank goodness we travelled down. It would be really bad there.
We have exterior screens and interior screens on as well.we have the heating on early morning and late at night before bed. Any ideas how to insulate this van? Please?

This thread might be worth a read through.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/cab-draughts-and-vents-a-mod.121156/#post-1671864

Nov 22, 2015
Old Leake Lincs
Funster No
MH
A class & Panel van
Exp
since 2003
Unfortunately its down to build quality, we had a Lunar with a 2.8 Fiat the heater could not keep the van warm when driving on a cold day the truma blown air heating also struggled to warm the van. We have exactly the same engine and Truma heater in our Niesmann and Bishoff and the fiat heater is more than adequate heating the whole van easily and the blown air heating not only heats the living area but under the floor and garage with no problems. we don't have draughts, you could almost see the warm air falling out of the lunar

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Being in the shade will make a big difference. Are you using any heating?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Being in the shade will make a big difference. Are you using any heating?
Yes we are using gas heating morning and evenings, the electric is metered and we are allowed 4kilowatt a day , extra kilowatts 45 cents each so more expensive than our gaslow.
I've been to reception to request a move to a different pitch and a van is leavimg tomorrow and that one is in the sun so will be moving there. Hopefully a bit warmer there.?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Unfortunately its down to build quality, we had a Lunar with a 2.8 Fiat the heater could not keep the van warm when driving on a cold day the truma blown air heating also struggled to warm the van. We have exactly the same engine and Truma heater in our Niesmann and Bishoff and the fiat heater is more than adequate heating the whole van easily and the blown air heating not only heats the living area but under the floor and garage with no problems. we don't have draughts, you could almost see the warm air falling out of the lunar
Hi Chris

I was tempted to say "get an A class" but thought I might get shot down, I know it was only -6 or -7 overnight when we got to Shrewsbury but we were lovely and warm and no draughts.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
half a roll of white duct tape, open cab doors and cover vents, under seats are vents open to the outside, a legacy of the commercial van, underneath below the seatbelt are openings. all these and the bonnet vents let draughts in

thermal convection means heat rises, so any vents without draught seals will continually bleed any heat out

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I would leave the heating on all the time at a reasonable temperature and let the thermostat do the work.
Just buy spainish bottle when you run out, or do you have refillable bottles?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Chris

I was tempted to say "get an A class" but thought I might get shot down, I know it was only -6 or -7 overnight when we got to Shrewsbury but we were lovely and warm and no draughts.

Martin

Its easy to say after purchase. We bought this van in July so haven't had it a year yet. Not easy expense wise to change so soon. I'm trying to make this one warmer.I'd love an A class.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I would leave the heating on all the time at a reasonable temperature and let the thermostat do the work.
Just buy spainish bottle when you run out, or do you have refillable bottles?
Yes we have gaslow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back