Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Hi I wrote a long thread on MotorHome Facts about the purchase of and modifications to my 09 Flash 02 motorhome. Unfortunately they 'lost' most of the photos that made the thread make sense. As it contains information that may be of use to other Chausson owners (not just Flash 02) I have republished it as a blog on my website here:

There are also things that might be useful to all motorhome owners. Its in six parts as it covers four years of ownership so a bit of a slog.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
So glad you posted the link. I've been meaning to track down your comments on the chausson cupboard catches for ages

Malcolm

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Frank - I've greatly enjoyed having another read of your blog. And yet again I'm in awe of everything you've done on your van.

Our Chausson is coming up to 4 years old and in that time we've covered 23,000 miles, travelling around France (5 times), Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland. Oh and not forgetting the Outer Hebrides and lots of other adventures in the UK.

To date I've made just four modifications to our van (all reversible). Added a few sticky-backed felt pads to some doors and cupboards to reduce rattles; taken out the loose beige carpet when it was new to put in storage and cut loose-fit vinyl to protect the floor; replaced the 2 halogen light bulbs in the bathroom with LEDs (the main light in the habitation area was already a large LED arrangement); and added some high-vis yellow reflective sticky tape to the wing mirrors to make them more obvious to oncoming traffic (the extra long arms stick out a massive amount on the X250 cabs). And that's it! About 1 hour for the vinyl, and less than an hour for the other 3 jobs.

No other modifications whatsoever, by me or anybody else. The vehicle is absolutely standard and has worked perfectly for us. Agree that the grill is probably rubbish, don't know because like you we've never used it. However, rather than removing it, we just use it for storage as it is.

I agree the Flash models are obviously built down to a price, but the standard has been perfectly acceptable from our perspective. I don't think we've slept quite as many nights in it as you have in yours, but only perhaps 25% less.

Anyway, 'horses for courses' springs to mind. You've obviously had great satisfaction from all the improvements and modifications you've made, and we've just enjoyed using our van as it is. But we are obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to MH DIY.

Cheers, Mike

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thank you so much - interesting reading!

I really like the cupboard dividers.

We took our grill out as well, neither use nor ornament (used once and not a success as the glass door shattered) and we are probably going to put a microwave in. The power outlet is there already.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sallytrafic

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
That's an interesting comment Puddleduck as our power socket at that point is clearly an after market addition by Discover. What variety of Chausson have you got Mike? One of the main reasons for buying mine was that it wasn't on a Fiat.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
That's an interesting comment Puddleduck as our power socket at that point is clearly an after market addition by Discover. What variety of Chausson have you got Mike? One of the main reasons for buying mine was that it wasn't on a Fiat.

Sorry Frank - only just spotted your post. We've got a Flash S2, which is 5.99m - about the maximum we can comfortably fit in at home. It's got the funny (but in our opinion clever) fold down 'fixed bed', if that isn't too much of a contradiction. Oh, and yes, it's on the Fiat X250 chassis. No serious problems in that department so far, although I'm well aware of the unfortunate history the marque suffers from - reverse judder etc.

Mike

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
I am useless at DIY, but I did enjoy reading your blog.
If you ever have any spare time.

We have a few snags::bigsmile:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Really enjoyed reading and thanks to your link I can now go and order a 12v socket to match existing ones.
Thanks for doing your blog. It helps others like me with your update photos.

OP
OP
Sallytrafic

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Hi Frank,

good to see you and Doreen are still 'camping' and, as necessary, making changes and finishing the manufacturer's original ideas.

Best wishes (Tracy's dad)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes but these 230V CBE type sockets are without switches and hence IMHO not fit for purpose. My upgrade is not shoddy in fact people assume that the are original.
Not wishing to say your extra socket is shoddy from a safety point of view, but you stated that the extra socket was 'clearly an addition'.
Most folks like their extra sockets to match the existing ones in order to make them look part of the original build.
I won't be rushing out to change our 'not fit for purpose' E-approved sockets! They look very nice thank you!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Sallytrafic

Sallytrafic

Free Member
Aug 20, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt on Transit
Exp
since 1988
Ah I see where the confusion lies. The socket provided as an aftermarket addition, presumably by Discover for the previous owner who replaced the grill with a microwave, was hidden. Originally behind the microwave then behind the Chausson grill that replaced the microwave (the owner getting Discover to refit it) and now behind the cupboard that I built replacing the grill. You can just see the socket it is beige coloured in part 4 of the blog under 18 Jul 2011.
The original CBE sockets in the van are in really awkward places the one by the sink (next to the door) has a lip right over it so can only be used by conventional plugs and not for example two of my chargers. The other one is in the recess that the slide out TV was fitted and can't be reached by my wife and was clearly placed there for a tv. These can be seen in part 2 23rd Nov 2010.
I don't fit sockets without switches in the house so I haven't in the motorhome.

Last edited:

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Sometimes when I read 'stuff' on here I want to dive under the covers and not come out. We've put a deposit on a chausson 616 and asked for, reverse camera/satnav, bike rack, tow bar, solar panel to be put on. Steve put some of this on the old MH but as this is new it might as well be done at source. But then I read about Fiat judder and the flash being 'built down' in price and bike racks hiding cameras, sh12 !!!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had a flash 3 09 reg and swapped this year to a best of 10 the overall improvement in quality is very noticeable.

David

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
'Best of Ten' is a somewhat bizarre name that Chausson has chosen for a current range of Flash motorhomes.

We've got a Flash S2 (2010), which we bought new. We had an older Rapido before that, so we can see a difference in build quality between the two, but I wouldn't worry about it. We've been extremely pleased with our Flash model. And the latest ones look very smart.

Mike

Reactions: kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
I'm still very confused with this best of 10 carry on. Where does the flash 616 come in all this and is it one of the best of 10?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
There was a Chausson model called the flash 10. When they stopped making the last ford transit base they bought a load and had a model called the best of 10 it had a few extras and was well specced for the price but was a stop gap model until the new transit was available. It was so popular they sold out and introduced the flash 510 same thing based on a fiat. The flash 616 is a different model but a bit like a flash 510 at the front (with a drop down bed) but exta bunks at the back.

David

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Thanks David, so which is best 510 or 616 or do they just have different interiors.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back