My batteries are dying in Norway. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Couldn't figure warning on the original battery in the locker so I switched them on site at Nesflatn yesterday morning. The good one is now connected in the locker while the duff one is now under the sofa with the wiring off but safely taped. After a short drive for us and another night it appears to have sorted the problem, heat, light and pump going and showing 12.7v this morning although we were careful what we used. I emailed a place in Stavanger and was quoted 2995Nkr for one Exide Sonnek 85ah. :eek: I was popular at Nesflatn though, the only one with a square key for tap. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hopefully you will be fine with the one battery in summer, we were in February, although we have now gone back to 2 batteries I am not sure why really. If moving every other day or so I reckon one is plenty

I would certainly wait till home to source a new one if I was you (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Couldn't figure warning on the original battery in the locker so I switched them on site at Nesflatn yesterday morning. The good one is now connected in the locker while the duff one is now under the sofa with the wiring off but safely taped. After a short drive for us and another night it appears to have sorted the problem, heat, light and pump going and showing 12.7v this morning although we were careful what we used. I emailed a place in Stavanger and was quoted 2995Nkr for one Exide Sonnek 85ah. :eek: I was popular at Nesflatn though, the only one with a square key for tap. (y)
If careful with your power use you should be ok until you get home, then you can sort it at a sensible price.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just to come back on this now I'm home, and read and posted on other threads on batteries. Twice in Norway we were withing range of a Biltema but both on a Sunday when they were closed, Stavanger and Kristiansand. We eventually found one in Denmark and bought a nice retractable airhose line which I needed after I managed to convince the wife, but they didn't have a pair of batteries, gel or wet that were reasonably priced to warrant me buying so close to home. We did have the odd hook up on the way too after stopping off at a couple of places where I could plug in s o we survived.

I've emailed Baileys for info but no response as yet and I can't find any B2B charger that Becks say was "already on there". The Bailey mains unit has a charger semi built in which is removable and I'm not sure whether this is suitable for gel batteries as per @Lenny HB's warning about the long absorption phase. Apart from the 20a mentioned there's no other info to tell me if this is suitable before deciding which replacements to buy.

P1080593.JPG P1080596.JPG

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Did anyone caution you about the power up sequence if you have solar charging. A possibility you could fry your new batteries if you get it wrong.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Only normally applies to dual voltage regulators that can charge both 12v & 24v batteries.
You connect the regulator to the batteries first so it knows what voltage to set the output to, then connect the solar panels.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Can't find much info on BCA chargers but fairly certain they are not suitable for Gels also I don't think they are proper multi stage chargers, if not I wouldn't want to use them on any battery that is being used for leisure use.

Try contacting BCA direct:-

01422 376 977
info@bcagroup.co.uk

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't find much info on BCA chargers but fairly certain they are not suitable for Gels also I don't think they are proper multi stage chargers, if not I wouldn't want to use them on any battery that is being used for leisure use.

Try contacting BCA direct:-

01422 376 977
info@bcagroup.co.uk

I will contact them while I await the Bailey reply but why would Bailey install these to charge the leisure battery if they're not up to the job?

Edit: Also emailed Tayna for their input.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I will contact them while I await the Bailey reply but why would Bailey install these to charge the leisure battery if they're not up to the job?
Wouldn't surprise me at al,l after all they are basically caravan manufacturers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back