My batteries are dying in Norway. (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Forgive the lack of a search as my phone is on the blink as well but given we're rarely on hook up the leisure battery situation is not good and I'm looking at close to £400 and that's only for 80ah x 2. I believe like all good things they should be replaced in pairs and I want 110ah. I haven't looked beyond the first place we looked at in Voss, manned by a guy from New Zealand and another from St Helens! What price would I be looking at in the UK for good quality 110ah, or bigger even? We're away for another couple of weeks yet and Denmark in about 10 days where they may be cheaper but whilst it's light late it's no fun when everything dies on you after an hour or so. Responses to posts may be slow. TIA.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like you have 2 batteries it could be just one has failed and dragging the other one down. Disconnect then and connect each one up in turn an test them.
I assume you have solar panels so if one battery is giving a few a/h you may be able to survive until you get home.
What type of batteries are they & what were you offered.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes two batteries and the one I can get to under the sofa has a "little life" left. That's an Electsol carbon fibre monobloc 110ah. It's raining again so I won't check the original in an outside locker but the second was fitted from new albeit the van was probably a year old by the time I bought it new. Not sure what I was offered as they were only 80ah so I didn't persue it but gel were mentioned somewhere in the conversation. I'll see what I can do about separating them when we settle for the night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As Lenny suggests I doubt that both batteries have died at the same time but if you do need one/two batteries £200 for EXIDE Gel would be OK in my book, I got some in Germany about three years ago for about £130 if memory serves me but that was as I say three years ago and a better exchange rate.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I thought when you said you were offered 80a/h they would be Gels. 80 a/h gel will give more useable power than a 110 a/h flooded battery. You need to check your charger is suitable for gels as without the long absorption phase they will only get 80% charged.

A flooded 110a/h at 50% DOD gives you 55 a/h.
Gel can be safely used down to 20% DOD so an 80a/h gives you 64 a/h.

If you last until you get home, Sonnenschein 78 a/h gels are only £145, I have 3 in my van.

If both batteries are shot you could just buy one cheap battery to get you home.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
@Bailey58 if you really need some, go across the border into Sweden. They have some stores there called Biltema. You'll get what you are looking for at about £125 each. Better than the price you mentioned in Norway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I thought when you said you were offered 80a/h they would be Gels. 80 a/h gel will give more useable power than a 110 a/h flooded battery. You need to check your charger is suitable for gels as without the long absorption phase they will only get 80% charged.

A flooded 110a/h at 50% DOD gives you 55 a/h.
Gel can be safely used down to 20% DOD so an 80a/h gives you 64 a/h.

If you last until you get home, Sonnenschein 78 a/h gels are only £145, I have 3 in my van.

If both batteries are shot you could just buy one cheap battery to get you home.
That's a good price Lenny where do you get them from.

Martin

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Now we're settled and it's stopped raining I've confirmed both batteries are the same Elecsols. I was told by Becks that I had B2B already fitted when they were adding the extras way back but I've never seen it, the extras included a 130w solar. There's a label on the original battery saying it should be fitted at all times, I assume that's aimed at the uneducated who may wonder why their 12v doesn't work unless I'm missing something?
If I simply lift the connectors off the duff battery posts leaving the cabling connected is that considered "separating" the two and sufficient to keep everything running as it should?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If I simply lift the connectors off the duff battery posts leaving the cabling connected is that considered "separating" the two and sufficient to keep everything running as it should?

Yes. that's what Van Bitz did to mine on our way to France last year, left all wiring in place just removed the duff battery, we managed very well in France for three weeks on the one battery (y)

Hope you find such an easy if short term fix

edit - they did safely tape up the unused connections though (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Now we're settled and it's stopped raining I've confirmed both batteries are the same Elecsols. I was told by Becks that I had B2B already fitted when they were adding the extras way back but I've never seen it, the extras included a 130w solar. There's a label on the original battery saying it should be fitted at all times, I assume that's aimed at the uneducated who may wonder why their 12v doesn't work unless I'm missing something?
That should work OK just be aware that even when you have lifted the -ve you could still short from the +ve to chassis parts or even the other loose terminal.

Martin

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Right thanks folks toolbox out and gaffer tape at the ready. The display is showing 9 volts so I reckon a spade and a church service is up next. I'll se what the drive tomorrow puts in the other one. (y)

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Whoops, taken the terminals off duff one leaving all cables connected but now no 12v at all so that label must have meant something. No gas or water heating which needs 12v so back on with the terminals I think. We'll survive the night and see what we find in Stavanger, if it wasn't such a tricky journey I'd be tempted to return to Voss. :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Whoops, taken the terminals off duff one leaving all cables connected but now no 12v at all so that label must have meant something. No gas or water heating which needs 12v so back on with the terminals I think. We'll survive the night and see what we find in Stavanger, if it wasn't such a tricky journey I'd be tempted to return to Voss. :)
So how did you know which was duff before separating them, is it possible the one left is the duffer and is as flat as a flat thing.

Martin

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Stavanger is quite a big place with a lot of agricultural dealers (from my recollection of many journeys to and from the airport) so batteries should be fairly easy to find. Being “oiltown” (think Aberdeen but with a hurdy gurdy accent) they are fairly industrialised as well. I like Stavanger. I would like the place a lot more if it didn’t rain quite so much!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Did you put a voltmeter over the terminals of each battery when disconnected to confirm which one is duff?

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In Norway look out for the chain of stores "Biltema". They are cheap!!! Relatively speaking. They have leisure batteries, amongst thousands of other items. A good browsing shop.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
South yorkshire batteries
are a brilliant company amazing service
I had a flat engine battery. Bought a new battery fitted it
flat next morning
Turned out the split charger had gone US draining the engine one
The original battery was Ok
SYB took the new one back no problems no handling charge.
A brilliant Brilliant company proper customer service

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
In Norway look out for the chain of stores "Biltema". They are cheap!!! Relatively speaking. They have leisure batteries, amongst thousands of other items. A good browsing shop.

Flatlander said Sweden but I'll check Norway too

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
can you switch the batteries around and then disconnect the terminals on the one battery?

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Flatlander said Sweden but I'll check Norway too

@Bailey58 there are some Biltema stores in Norway, but they are slightly more expensive than the ones in Sweden. There are some in Denmark also. Maybe you will pass close to one? I can post a list of the Danish stores if required.

If you are going anywhere close to Copenhagen, perhaps you could take the bridge over to Sweden? There is one store just a few minutes drive away from the Swedish side of the bridge. I'll be visiting that one myself in a few days time. :)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If you can manage with the batteries to get into Sweden it's bound to be cheaper. I thought you needed them now. Good luck.

Ps we had to have brake discs and new caliper in Norway. Ouch!!!

Reactions: GBS

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back