My apologies to all my buddies here (1 Viewer)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Hello all, sorry I've not been on here for a while, but I don't think I qualify any longer as I don't have a camper, in fact I don't currently have any wheels at all!

I've been forced to sell her because of financial restraints involving my late mum's estate and Cornwall CC plus solicitors fees, as I have decided to fight for my mum's justice as they tried to cover the accident up and say it was natural causes.

To add insult to injury there are also problems relating to the legality of my flat inasmuch as it (along with many others) was not signed off by the Council in 2006, in other words it lacks a building certificate which would make it hard to sell. This also has gone to a solicitor (a different one), and many of us are suing the same vending solicitors in town who failed to point this out at purchase to anyone, for professional negligence.

I can assure I've been so upset since selling her on ebay that I've not wanted to talk about it until now. Young Charlie has helped me immensely through this difficult time, and he is going from strength to strength. He alone has made me feel like I've won the lottery - my football team has also helped!
Some more pics for you:
P1000398.JPG

P1000406.JPG

And here he is following an essential haircut to enable me to start from the beginning with his coat again (it was badly knotted and matted underneath). That was done back in August and was timed well as the weather has been very warm here in Cornwall the whole time. He has a high viz rain coat for the wet and cooler days, by winter it'll be regrown.

P1000480.JPG

P1000472.JPG

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry to hear that & hopefully it will all turn out well for you.Charlie certainly looks like he could cheer anyone up , lovely looking chap.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Our thoughts are with you for a peaceful ending,regards AlfandM

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
so sorry to read this hope it urns out ok in the end stay strong you will get through it
bill

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Oh & I forgot. Just because you haven't a Motor home at the moment does not preclude you from joining in. It isn't any different from someone starting out & you have a wealthof knowledge that you can bring to discussions.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Oh & I forgot. Just because you haven't a Motor home at the moment does not preclude you from joining in. It isn't any different from someone starting out & you have a wealthof knowledge that you can bring to discussions.
my thaugts to (y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When I sold my bungalow 3 years ago it came to light that the conversion to a chalet didn't have planning or building regs. Because it was converted some 20 years ago neither the council planning or building depts where interested. The buyer did however take out insurance against future action by the council against him. Cost about ÂŁ100 I believe.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Good luck to you and your pal Charlie,hope it all comes right for you in the long term.
Stay with us and just maybe we can give you a smile now and again.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Yes I'm staying positive and will hire a van to do my planned trip when all this finally gets sorted out. Charlie has his passport and Brittany Ferries have given me a voucher for most of the cost that lasts for 2 years.

The flat thing only came out when the management company, set up by the developer, went bust having "mislaid" ÂŁ30,000 of leaseholders management fees since 2006. A new management company has been set up by the leaseholders. We have been successful and now I actually own a portion of the freehold on the development hence securing my tenure. But as you can probably imagine it's been a pretty expensive business, with the discovery of the lack of a building certificate being the icing on the cake.

With regard to mum's death the whole thing stinks of an attempted cover up. Which explains why the nursing home failed to contact me on the day of the accident and by the time the hospital had called me around 6 hours later, mum had gone into a coma and I never got the chance to comfort her or even say goodbye. Had I not persisted her death would have been passed off as natural causes due to a urine infection which is what the local pathologist came up with. In fact she had died because of massive trauma to her head following being put into an electric reclining/standing chair and given the remote control and left alone. She had advanced dementia and thought she was young and able to walk a lot of the time. But she couldn't as she was crippled, and hence fell once the chair had gone to the upright position.

My solicitor has obtained the hospital records for mum's admission to the emergency dept and they confirm brain scans were carried out that showed internal bleeding to her brain. The hospital made it quite clear to myself and mum's social worker that the trauma to the head was the cause of death at the time. The Coroner only re-assessed the cause of death from natural causes to unknown due to the notification of myself and the local police who had picked up on it after being contacted by someone at the Coroners Office. We are still awaiting the inquest. I've been told that a member of staff involved with the "care" of mum that day has since left the home.

One day I'll look back on all this and think I came out stronger for it, ideally whilst sipping a nice glass of Merlot under the awning of a hired motorhome, Charlie by my side, or even closer if there is any cheese about!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good to hear your update, had noticed that you have not posted for a while, good you have sorted your flat out, now you can relax about that. Charlie looks so well, must be a big comfort to you.
On the case for your mum, I can understand your frustration and need to put the record right, but I would add its so easy to let traumatic happenings take over our lives. I'm sure you're mum would want you to live your life without costing you to much.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
It's finding the right balance I guess, but I couldn't live with myself if I just accepted a wrong that had been done without at least getting it aired in the open, discussed and hopefully lessons learned. If that stops it happening to just one other vulnerable old person that couldn't protect themselves from staff negligence, then it is worth doing IMO.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sorry to hear about your troubles and hope it all gets sorted.
Charlie certainly looks different after his hair cut.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Normally I have something irreverent to contribute. But not this time.

My thoughts are with you, we may never have met, but I really do hope you do stick around and contribute some of your knowledge to help others, as well as being able to share far better news with us in due course. Stick with it mate

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hurting for you. Angry for you. Frustrated for you ... and anyone who believes these things don't happen is very lucky not to have experienced them. Keep strong .. but remember your mum is at peace now .. your life is for living ... and your companion is adorable.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
That why they call dogs "mans best friend" they always manage to cheer you up,
strange enough your Charlie , reminds me or my Late mums dog who i looked after for 5 years until he had to go to heaven as well himself just lately.
Hope things improve for you.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Roadster so glad to see you posting again , but sorry to hear your reasons why you were off the forum.
So glad Charlie is returning all the love you give him and you have a wonderful companion! Love the cheese comment!
I do hope all your flat and mum troubles are sorted so you can take your life back. Keep posting we love to see you and Charlie and your photos.(y)

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
So sorry to hear of your trouble,hope it will soon be all sorted .bet your pleased to have charlie to keep you going,love his hair cut, keep us posted ,and love the photos. Mew

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Lost my mum in distressing circumstances at an NHS hospital so I can sympathise with how you're feeling @roadster55. I tried complaining formally and was really quite angry at the time but, it won't bring her back. Sometimes hope that the hospital will learn the lesson and improve and that will justify the effort in going through all the stress, but I doubt I'll ever know. Just don't beat yourself up about it and live your own life and enjoy as I'm sure your mum would want you to.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
It's something I had to do once the details became clear
Lost my mum in distressing circumstances at an NHS hospital so I can sympathise with how you're feeling @roadster55. I tried complaining formally and was really quite angry at the time but, it won't bring her back. Sometimes hope that the hospital will learn the lesson and improve and that will justify the effort in going through all the stress, but I doubt I'll ever know. Just don't beat yourself up about it and live your own life and enjoy as I'm sure your mum would want you to.

Very sorry to hear of your bad experience with the NHS and your late mum.

I've pretty much got over the losses of both mum and Kimberley (odd bad day but more good ones). When I said I was too upset to come on this forum I really meant because I've had to sell my campervan to raise the funds required for two separate legal matters. However one bonus is I'm walking more and getting fitter every day - Charlie and I are regularly doing long walks up to 6 miles, and he also loves walking into town as we usually end up in the pet shop! He's becoming well known and loves meeting everybody and their dogs.

Re. mum's accident it was the attempted cover up that needs to be exposed as much as anything else. I'm not doing it for the money - compensation is capped in the case of a death caused by negligence in a home, bizarrely if mum had survived the fall then the compensation would be much more, no it's to get the home to sit up and take notice of what happened and to do everything they can to prevent a repetition. Already they appear to have stopped advertising as a dementia capable home...

In fact the Social Worker dealing with mum's case was equally horrified, as were the police, in what was clearly an attempt by the home to "massage" the cause of mum's death and the cover-up didn't stop with the home either...and both advised me that I could pursue civil action as there was little they could do. I'm sure mum would not have wanted me to let them sweep matters under the carpet. The home never even sent anybody to mum's funeral despite her being a private resident and paying her way for nearly 2 years.

I feel this just has to be done to get closure.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I am really sorry learn about what has been going on in your life.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Thank you all, there is light at the end of the tunnel - I think. The "Care" Home owners have referred the matter to their liability insurers according to my Solicitor. It's been so long that the original Solicitor has been replaced by another one - with 25 years experience too. Still no Inquest date announced and I'm starting to think that the plan is to eke it out to 2 years after which a claim can't be made. Still my people are aware of that.
Sadly this sort of thing seems so common these days, it's almost like it's becoming accepted?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Such a sad tale and a sad state of affairs when it seems you cannot trust people you engage to look after your loved ones.

I hope the tide turns for you soon and you can put all this behind you.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Roadster good to see you posting again but sorry to hear it is going to take so long. Pursueing it is important so homes cannot be seen to be getting away with such treatment.
I hope you and Charlie are having a lovely life together and he has settled in .
Have you managed to get another camper van yet?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back