Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
Has anyone any experience of towing a Mazda MX5 on an A-Frame?

I've just bought a Mk 2 and am considering doing just that but would like to know of any issues I might have to overcome (and I'm not getting into discussions about legality, either!)
My biggest concern would be the fact that, as far as I am aware, the ignition key must be left in to unlock the steering, not a good idea in a soft top from a security point of view!

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Most cars these days require a 'coded' key which is needed to disable the immobiliser in the ignition circuit. We had a similar problem with our Mitsubishi Colt CZC (which is a hard-top convertible) which we tow behind our RV, but we resolved the problem by ordering another spare key, which we left uncoded. That way, even if someone gets into the car it cannot be started with the key that is in the ignition. Speak to your Mazda dealer, they may be able to advise on availability and cost of such a key.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Mx 5

HI

Word of caution. I THINK I have seen a thread in the last year By an R-V`r who damaged his gearbox on an MX5? Trouble is I cannot locate the thread and of course it may have been another vehicle, and possibly un-related to towing.

Anyone else on the "forum(s)" able to help?

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Here's a couple we met towing an MX-5 round Spain behind a European motorhome. He's with Prodrive the motorsport organisation so I guess he thought it through. They subsequently went to the USA, bought an RV and toured for a year before importing it. If you scroll down the page you can see the MX-5 parked alongside their RV.
The Geezers American Adventure

:Smile:
Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back