Must do's with a used (new to us) Motorhome! (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 664
Exp
We are newbies!!
Hi All!

I thought I would drop by and say hi and ask my first question! We are completely new to motor-homing and collect our used IXEO 664 from Camper UK on Thursday next week. I am stupidly excited!!

It is a 2010 and having bought from a MH dealer it will be Serviced and Mot'd with a hab check including damp, plus a valet.

My question to the collective wisdom of the forum is what recommendations do you have as to "must do's"? It can include maintenance i.e should we sterilise our fresh water tank, or days out etc!

I look forward to chatting with you all!!

J

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from sunny Ciren.......and wait for a deluge of replies!!!

(y) :cool:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Take it and stay close to dealer for a couple of nights and try out everything. Maybe use a clean container for drinking water as you won’t know the condition of the contents of the fresh water tank. Personally, I would give it a clean out with Puriclean, drawing it through the pipes and taps, at some time for my own satisfaction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Yes use it don’t let it sit.
we use our van as a mobile beach hut changing room for kayaking, mountain biking.
pocking up compost.
Take it out for the day as you’ll have your own facilities to make tea etc. and your own private loo.
Fill the fresh tank and add puriclean Run it through all the taps until you can smell the bleach smell. Go for a drive to slosh it about. Leave for a few hours and drain through all the taps into the waste tank until the fresh is empty. refill to about a third and drain off to give everything a rinse through.
leave the waste tank for a few hours and or go for a drive to slosh that about then drain

Last edited:
OP
OP
Janks78
Sep 7, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 664
Exp
We are newbies!!
Ensure the cam belt has been changed, before you pick it up, with the vehicle being 10 years old, if on a fiat 2.3 base? should be ready to be changed now! Otherwise will cost you £400-£500
Great advise thanks! Yes its the 2.3 base and I have just emailed Camper UK!!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
:welcome3:
Lots of good advice already.

Get the dealer to provide you with an electric hook-up cable and at least one gas bottle, so everything on board can be demonstrated fully - space heating, hot water, fridge operating on 230v AC and gas (assuming it's got a 3-way absorption fridge) etc.

And have FUN with your new van! (y)

OP
OP
Janks78
Sep 7, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 664
Exp
We are newbies!!
Yes use it don’t let it sit.
we use our van as a mobile beach hut changing room for kayaking, mountain biking.
pocking up compost.
Take it out for the day as you’ll have your own facilities to make tea etc. and your own private loo.
Fill the fresh tank and add puriclean Run it through all the taps until you can smell the bleach smell. Go for a drive to slosh it about. Leave for a few hours and drain through all the taps into the waste tank until the fresh is empty. refill to about a third and drain off to give everything a rinse through.
leave the waste tank for a few hours and or go for a drive to slosh that about then drain
Thanks! This was on of my drivers. We have 2 dogs and spend time out with them at the weekends and it would be very useful to have a mobile hotel room! Not to mention a pub tea with a couple of pints and not having to drive home!! :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Welcome and best bit of advice is to subscribe - you only get 5 posts as a 'free' member, and for £15 you get full access to ask as many questions as you like...
CamperUK is one of the better dealerships, based on reputation, though perhaps not the cheapest.
They actually have a nearby campsite, so perhaps a good idea to stop there after pick it up, make sure everything is working and that you know how to turn stuff on (and off).

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
CamperUK is also a Fiat Professional Dealership, so can fix anything on the vehicle side too.
If it does need the cambelt, have a chat to Dean, the boss, to see if you can negotiate a price for having it done.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Remember a bottle opener, doesn’t camper uk have their own site ?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2 (2).gif