Music system for PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi, what do you use to play music in the habitation section of van. I dont want to use connected spy machine (Apple echo etc) though I have an IPad which I can use but I was thinking of a purposed piece of kit with decent speakers, any ideas ?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Why not fit rear speakers, the van is wired for it up to the lower pillar behind the drivers seat. You just need one of these to plug in Fiat Audio Plug

1576095939633.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
When I first got my MH I took it to a retailer to upgrade the system. I said I'd spend £1k. He said I'd need to spend £2k so whilst I thought about it I went on holiday with my Bose Soundlink 111. Used it ever since, whether travelling or parked up

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Changed my cab radio and then wired it to the leisure battery through a fused switch, decent sound from the front cab speakers which suits us as we use the cab seats.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Changed my cab radio and then wired it to the leisure battery through a fused switch, decent sound from the front cab speakers which suits us as we use the cab seats.
I did the same but added rear speakers, may still add a small sub.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
When I first got my MH I took it to a retailer to upgrade the system. I said I'd spend £1k. He said I'd need to spend £2k so whilst I thought about it I went on holiday with my Bose Soundlink 111. Used it ever since, whether travelling or parked up
Updated mine for less than £300

Upvote 0

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
SOUNDS like you have a good system there......with the possible dB output of that you could park next to me anytime...might help drowning the sound of my GENNIE.....:xrofl::xThumb:

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
IMO it's not worth paying a packet for some high end head units. I'd go to a decent retailer and ask to hear a couple of medium range units in your van. As it's a single or double din fitting it's usually a "slide in and slide out" swap over and any good shop will have demo units. Don't forget that most medium range and above phones now support FLAC files and SD cards are now pretty inexpensive. We just accept the hit from Bluetooth and simply stream from a phone to the cab head unit. Occasionally I may play a few CDs but acoustically a motorhome is never going to be that good, and you'll never produce a clean low bass as you're limited by the longest diagonal measurement internally. A bit of judicious fiddling with the equaliser settings in the head unit and see if you can live with it.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
+1 for the Bose Soundlink, I have a soundlink mini, use it for music, inside the van, outside the van, at home, at work. Cracking sound from such a small footprint, also you can connect it to your telly for a bit of extra ommmff(y)

Upvote 0

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Another vote for the Bose Soundlink Bluetooth speaker. It also has a connector socket for a 3.5mm plug so that we can use it with the TV. Incidentally our PVC came with rear speakers fitted into the habitation, wired to the head unit in the cab, but we never use them when parked up.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I just use my head unit, I fitted a Clarion was about £600 wired it to the leisure battery. The standard speakers Hymer fit are good enough for me, main units at the front are reasonable quality twin cone units and there are ceramic resonator speakers fitted under the drop down bed & in the rear wall. Only problem we have ( our neighbors really) is the rear speakers are mounted in the rear wall and can be quite loud outside at the back of the van, especially when I play rock music.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Hi guys,
the Bose speaker is worth looking at but I am more interested in having my extensive collection of cds in something that I can listen to, either something that I can copy them to, my car has a hard drive and single disk player and played once the cd is copied then I can listen anytime Or should I just be getting Spotify on my iPad then playing it through Bluetooth speaker ?

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Another Bose Soundlink [mini] user here... it's KISS
Music on phone, completely portable, audio is fine for a tin box. Price is good.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I just use my head unit, I fitted a Clarion was about £600 wired it to the leisure battery. The standard speakers Hymer fit are good enough for me, main units at the front are reasonable quality twin cone units and there are ceramic resonator speakers fitted under the drop down bed & in the rear wall. Only problem we have ( our neighbors really) is the rear speakers are mounted in the rear wall and can be quite loud outside at the back of the van, especially when I play rock music.
We find our rear speakers are very noisy outside the van - it sort of booms! Found several neighbours with the same issue, & I’m sure they don’t realise how loud they are! The other day someone was obviously watching a war film with the tv through either the rear speakers or a sound bar x luckily they went to bed early! We listen to Spotify or amazon music on a firestick through the tv - plenty loud enough for us!

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Spotify is great, you can download the music onto your device and listen offline through your choice of bluetooth speaker. You don't need to install any expensive hardware. Keep it simple

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Movies, download Netflix movies onto your device and view/listen through your bluetooth speaker

Upvote 0

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
Movies, download Netflix movies onto your device and view/listen through your bluetooth speaker

Upvote 0

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Hi, what do you use to play music in the habitation section of van. I dont want to use connected spy machine (Apple echo etc) though I have an IPad which I can use but I was thinking of a purposed piece of kit with decent speakers, any ideas ?
to play what music?
radio, random tunes, your favourite albums?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Hi guys,
the Bose speaker is worth looking at but I am more interested in having my extensive collection of cds in something that I can listen to, either something that I can copy them to, my car has a hard drive and single disk player and played once the cd is copied then I can listen anytime Or should I just be getting Spotify on my iPad then playing it through Bluetooth speaker ?

All my CDs are now stored as MP3s in iTunes and downloaded onto my phone. A bit time consuming but means I can now play them on the Bluetooth speaker with my phone. I also have a Bose sound link mini as well as the UE wonderboom. Both fantastic bits of kit.

Upvote 0

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We use a Bose speaker, with the music coming from either our phones or the iPad:

6CFB50CB-CCFA-4BA7-9D07-D3B588E6E1BD.jpeg

For the size and price it’s brilliant. We can also use it anywhere in the moho or the house and take it with us if we change the van. I wouldn’t consider anything else now.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
Spotify and Bose for me too. Excellent sound and you can take it anywhere with you.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am just going to buy a budget chinese head unit with a USB and SD car slot and bluetooth.

I can then either use a USB stick, SD card or play from my phone. I will put it inside an overhead locker the same as they do in caravans and install some new speakers in appropriate positions for watching films/tv etc. I have a bluetooth adapter in my computer so when watching netflix etc I can link up the sound system to my computer.

All in the planning stage at the moment but I don't intend to spend more than £50 on it all.

edit: something like this; but probably not this specific one.

Upvote 0

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010

There is a very rich offer of bluetooth speakers on the market. Some of them are bound to be the perfect solution for this. Bose, JBL, B&W, Sony, Yamaha, Sonos come to mind. Plenty of excellent others. No GAFA spying in them (though I'm not sure how harmful Alexa and Google Home speakers really can be).

Broad selection on Amazon, with a very wide price range.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Hi guys,
Was this in a head unit,what is the set up?

Upvote 0

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
The left hand side speaker in my Ducato van is not working (the one in the door). I have a pioneer head unit which I like. The van speakers don’t seem very high quality so was thinking about getting one of these Bluetooth speakers to use whilst I’m driving instead of replacing the door speakers at a garage which would cost considerably more. What do you guys think about this idea in principle.
Are these BT speakers stereo or have stereo affect. I love my music and mono speakers wouldn’t cut it for me.

Upvote 0

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Are these BT speakers stereo or have stereo affect. I love my music and mono speakers wouldn’t cut it for me.
You’ll need two separate Bluetooth speakers that can be linked for stereo.
It sure how common that is but it’s possible.
My little speaker can buddy up. Creative muvi - too small for an audiophile tho.
Edit: proof reader on strike. 2nd sentence should start “I’m not sure how...”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
You’ll need two separate Bluetooth speakers that can be linked for stereo.
It sure how common that is but it’s possible.
My little speaker can buddy up. Creative muvi - too small for an audiophile tho.
Hmm that’s what I was worried about, having to buy two of these things. I think I’ll get a quote from the garage to replace the door speakers. Thanks Kevenh

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back