Rally 'Music & Mechanicals' meet 1st - 4th July 2016 - Bubble Car Museum, Nr Langrick, South Lincs (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Never been pulled out of the mud by an aeroplane before !!! Innit fun?:ROFLMAO:
Oh - I'd volunteered you to help pull the aeroplane. Have I got that the wrong way round?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Les is just checking our gazebo over...it's not been up for about 7/8 years:LOL:....but looks ok, no idea how much it'll stand up to wind though.....& doesn't matter if it gets trashed:D just under 9' x 9'.
image.jpeg

We're out for a meal Thurs eve so will be there Friday am.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Les is just checking our gazebo over...it's not been up for about 7/8 years:LOL:....but looks ok, no idea how much it'll stand up to wind though.....& doesn't matter if it gets trashed:D just under 9' x 9'.
View attachment 112891

We're out for a meal Thurs eve so will be there Friday am.:)
That looks like it could be a party game!! 'Erect the gazebo 'after quaffing copious amounts of alcohol ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That looks like it could be a party game!! 'Erect the gazebo 'after quaffing copious amounts of alcohol ;)
Just as long as your Rob is sober enough to play that fiddle Anthea. I'm really looking forward to that, sober or not. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just as long as your Rob is sober enough to play that fiddle Anthea. I'm really looking forward to that, sober or not. (y)

Cheers,

Jock I hope I haven't bigged him up to much!!! I ll bring you a CD as a gift!! But Rita may not like it!!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock I hope I haven't bigged him up to much!!! I ll bring you a CD as a gift!! But Rita may not like it!!
That is very kind of you Anthea. (y). If on my own, I look forward to blasting it out on the MH media system. :LOL:

Cheers,

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I'm thinking circle (or semi-circle) of vans, canopies facing inwards; gazebos in the centre, probably open sided, but sheltered from any wind by the vans. A bit like they did (or used to do - I missed this year) with the RVs at Misterton, especially when they only had the gazebos there.

I'll be working out what is possible when I get down there tomorrow. It looks like we have plenty of space to play with.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
...(y) ALREADY CLOCKED IT @Debs x 4 ...YOUR'E WELCOME :party2:
can't decide on lunch or dinner ;)
This could turn out to be THE RALLY OF THE YEAR :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Just watched the local forecast and the sun is guaranteed over the Fens. :sun: :pinocchio:

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
These smaller meets are excellent for newbies and solos. Easier to get to know folk . Still room here for others to join so if you are at a loose end this weekend get yourself along :)

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
Are you all sitting down? :eek:

We have a bit of a problem. o_O

I discovered late this afternoon that the campsite has got itself double booked. :eek::eek:

I'll deal with the 'whys & 'wherefores' & why it's us that are moving in another post, but for now I want to concentrate on finding a solution.
We have an alternative venue just 10 mins down the road. We even keep the 'Mechanicals' link, just that the mechanicals are now light aircraft &
paramotors instead of bubble cars - it's at a small active airfield.

It even has some advantages - it's right on the outskirts of Boston, so shopping within walking distance for the fitter ones & easy cycling for
anyone. It's in the countryside, but Tescos & B&Q are a 10 minute walk. The town centre, with the best Lincolnshire sausage shop outside of Louth,
is only 2 miles away. There is even parking for M/H sized vehicles in the middle of town of you want to go under power. For anyone still keen to
visit the bubble car museum, it's only just up the road.

We have the use of the airfield club house, but it's not all that big & that leads me to the one potentially major drawback - we don't have our
planned marquee.

So, we may have to improvise. Firstly, if anyone can lay hands on a marquee, please let me know. Even if it's a small one - we can join a couple
of small ones together. If you can borrow something for a consideration, we have a budget of around £60 to pay for it.

If you have a free standing awning, gazebo, sunhouse, basically anything that keeps the rain off, bring it. We'll put them together, or in a
circle, or whatever works best. Also pack string, cable ties, bits of tarpaulin, windbreaks, whatever. I have a Kyham Sunhouse for starters. Also
bring your own chairs. In our best Boy Scout/Girl Guide tradition, we can crack this.

So where is it?

Boston Aero Park
Boston Aerodrome
Boardsides
Boston
Lincolnshire
PE21 7NY

www.bostonaeroclub.co.uk

52°58'26.6"N 0°04'18.1"W
or if your sat nav prefers;
52.974052, -0.071689

It is only a few miles further south from where we were originally. I haven't totally ruled out moving again if I can find somewhere with room for
us all to get undercover, but at this short notice, I wanted to stay near to the original place in case someone doesn't get the message & turns up
at the Bubble Car museum. They will then be directed just down the road, not half way across the county.

Chris at Boston Aerodrome has been great. He saw that we had a problem & the campsite had a problem & is bending over backwards to help. I said
won't his flying club members object if we take over their clubhouse & play music all afternoon - No, he said, they'll love it.

@triclops
@Wildge
@JockandRita
@irnbru
@rupert
@treetops
@Geordie and the Dragon
@Debs
@Anthea M
@panda
@Fantini
@poki
@REKERLY
@scammellmanswife

@peterc10
@Langtoftlad
@ciderman
@Bobnmyrtle
@gillnphil

I've included those who were coming but now aren't, or know they might not be able to, just in case of a change of plan.
Right - better let the local musicians know now. One of them won't be pleased - he's coming on his pushbike & I've just extended his journey!

Sorry but us two old boilers are chickening out on this occasion, disappointed because we were looking forward to the music but a little nervous because of my lack of mobility. So we hope you all have a brilliant weekend together, often it turns out better than what was planned in the first place. May the weather be kind to you and should you stumble (hiccup) we hope it's a soft landing, see you next year
Joyce & Don :crying1: :crying1: :crying1:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
IH N680CRL
Exp
Since 2006
Hi, we're quite happy to come to Boston Aerodrome, but I was just about to ask what the state of the ground was, as here everywhere is pretty watterlogged and we're 7.5 tonne (must go on a diet soon!)
Or is there any handstanding we can park on? Don't want to get struck somewhere

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Hi, we're quite happy to come to Boston Aerodrome, but I was just about to ask what the state of the ground was, as here everywhere is pretty watterlogged and we're 7.5 tonne (must go on a diet soon!)
Or is there any handstanding we can park on? Don't want to get struck somewhere
Sorry for the late night reply. Been out at a monthly music session that I organise. We have just had a cracking night, so looking forward to more at the weekend.

I suspect the state of the ground on the airfield is somewhat better than it is on the museum site. Both are grass sites, but the museum site was pretty uneven & one part looked a bit prone to being decidedly damp.

The airfield runway is grass & they use it all year round, so it must drain well. Although the usual camping area is grass, if you are worried, then I think there is some hard standing adjacent to the approach road. I'm going down tomorrow lunchtime (today now), so I'll access both the state of the grass & the availability of hard standing & report back.

Although there are a few more showers forecast, it looks as if the worst of the heavy or prolonged rain is now behind us, so things will be getting better rather than worse.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And here was me thinking the weather was warm n sunny down south. MH full of summer clothes.:)

Ok ok I will bring the sunshine with me.

Whatever the weather we wont let it stop us having fun :)

Apr 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
IH N680CRL
Exp
Since 2006
I'm sorry but with regret we are going to pull out of this rally. With the uncertainty of the ground conditions, weather etc and the fact we have a dog, which is often not welcome on a active airfield. We'll see everybody another time.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I'm sorry but with regret we are going to pull out of this rally. With the uncertainty of the ground conditions, weather etc and the fact we have a dog, which is often not welcome on a active airfield. We'll see everybody another time.
Sorry to hear that. :(

I bagsy the hard standing spot that was earmarked for @Fantini. :LOL:

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
No problem with dogs - I checked. It's the same as on any campsite - on a lead while on site please, just as it would be in any public place. The term 'active' when applied to Boston airfield is theoretical more than realistic - if we are lucky, we might see a couple of paragliders & maybe a small private plane, but plane spotters would have a pretty boring weekend!

As promised, I will report on ground conditions & hard standing availability this afternoon. Daytime forecast for Fri - Sun for Boston is now occasional showers & it's beginning to look like we will all fit into the clubhouse anyway!

I do hope you will come - it would be a shame to lose musicians.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@TheCaller Thanks for clarifying about the dogs Simon, it never occurred to me that they might not be welcome.

Having a quick peek on street view there looks to be quite a bit of hardstanding, although it doesn't look to be tarmac........

We expect to arrive between 10 & 11 tomorrow morning. I've been under the impression things wouldn't take too much sorting at this end:doh:.....always seems to be last minute bits & bobs......

Edit: anyone on 3 - signal could be iffy to say the least if their coverage map is accurate:(

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
anyone on 3 - signal could be iffy to say the least if their coverage map is accurate:(
Well, if you haven't heard from me by teatime, then you will know it's not good. :eek:

Mind you, it wasn't supposed to be very good at the other site either, but in practice it was absolutely fine when I did the site visit.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Well, if you haven't heard from me by teatime, then you will know it's not good. :eek:

Mind you, it wasn't supposed to be very good at the other site either, but in practice it was absolutely fine when I did the site visit.
The stadium looks fine - you may need to just wander around a bit:LOL:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@TheCaller .....been meaning to ask (not that it makes any difference) are there any facilities of any sort at the aerodrome? Besides a runway & clubhouse;)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do we gave a fresh water source or have to fill beforehand?

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
OK you've twisted our arm. But please find us any bit of hardstanding or else I will be in the dog house!!
We'll be there by 12 noon.
Yay!! (y):cool:

Hard standing report later today.

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
@Debs @irnbru

It is a campsite, not just an airfield. Didn't ask for a full list of facilities but you can assume water, loo dump, rubbish bins & toilet(s) unless I let you know otherwise. There are a small number of available EHU points.

Only thing the other site had that this one may not is a shower.

Full site report this evening.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back