Rally 'Music & Mechanicals' meet 1st - 4th July 2016 - Bubble Car Museum, Nr Langrick, South Lincs (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Like haggis, the best way to be introduced to stuffed chine is to taste it before you look at it. It's pork stuffed with parsley, but that doesn't really help explain it.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Anyone want some Scottish butcher meat brought down?
Perhaps @JockandRita
We would be very grateful for any game you can lay your hands on, be it fur or feather ,(y)
although in our experience they don't seem to stock much in butchers' shops.(n)
Everyone seems to be able to shoot their own. ;)
no worries if it's a problem :)
Thanks Jude

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have to work until 4.30 PM on Friday and as the A1 may be a tad busy :(won't get there until 6.30 -7 ish , is there a gate or barrier or can we just pull on to the site? Thank you.

Tried to edit put a sad smilie and it showed but when posted came out a happy one!!!( gremlins)

It's worked!!

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We would be very grateful for any game you can lay your hands on, be it fur or feather ,(y)
although in our experience they don't seem to stock much in butchers' shops.(n)
Everyone seems to be able to shoot their own. ;)
no worries if it's a problem :)
Thanks Jude
Is it a whole one or how much in money? I know nothing of game. The more you can tell me the better I can ask in butchers :)

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Brace of anything.... Pheasant, grouse, partridge but having thought about it :doh: this is Scotland so more likely to be sold in fishmongers....sorry :whistle: but any venison steaks would be welcome.
( also all probably frozen at this time of year. BUT has got to be cheaper than Chatsworth farm shop):)

Is it a whole one or how much in money? I know nothing of game. The more you can tell me the better I can ask in butchers :)

TOTAL up to £45.00 ish
But don't worry if none around and thank you all the same:clap2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Are you all sitting down? :eek:

We have a bit of a problem. o_O

I discovered late this afternoon that the campsite has got itself double booked. :eek::eek:

I'll deal with the 'whys & 'wherefores' & why it's us that are moving in another post, but for now I want to concentrate on finding a solution.
We have an alternative venue just 10 mins down the road. We even keep the 'Mechanicals' link, just that the mechanicals are now light aircraft &
paramotors instead of bubble cars - it's at a small active airfield.

It even has some advantages - it's right on the outskirts of Boston, so shopping within walking distance for the fitter ones & easy cycling for
anyone. It's in the countryside, but Tescos & B&Q are a 10 minute walk. The town centre, with the best Lincolnshire sausage shop outside of Louth,
is only 2 miles away. There is even parking for M/H sized vehicles in the middle of town of you want to go under power. For anyone still keen to
visit the bubble car museum, it's only just up the road.

We have the use of the airfield club house, but it's not all that big & that leads me to the one potentially major drawback - we don't have our
planned marquee.

So, we may have to improvise. Firstly, if anyone can lay hands on a marquee, please let me know. Even if it's a small one - we can join a couple
of small ones together. If you can borrow something for a consideration, we have a budget of around £60 to pay for it.

If you have a free standing awning, gazebo, sunhouse, basically anything that keeps the rain off, bring it. We'll put them together, or in a
circle, or whatever works best. Also pack string, cable ties, bits of tarpaulin, windbreaks, whatever. I have a Kyham Sunhouse for starters. Also
bring your own chairs. In our best Boy Scout/Girl Guide tradition, we can crack this.

So where is it?

Boston Aero Park
Boston Aerodrome
Boardsides
Boston
Lincolnshire
PE21 7NY

www.bostonaeroclub.co.uk

52°58'26.6"N 0°04'18.1"W
or if your sat nav prefers;
52.974052, -0.071689

It is only a few miles further south from where we were originally. I haven't totally ruled out moving again if I can find somewhere with room for
us all to get undercover, but at this short notice, I wanted to stay near to the original place in case someone doesn't get the message & turns up
at the Bubble Car museum. They will then be directed just down the road, not half way across the county.

Chris at Boston Aerodrome has been great. He saw that we had a problem & the campsite had a problem & is bending over backwards to help. I said
won't his flying club members object if we take over their clubhouse & play music all afternoon - No, he said, they'll love it.

@triclops
@Wildge
@JockandRita
@irnbru
@rupert
@treetops
@Geordie and the Dragon
@Debs
@Anthea M
@panda
@Fantini
@poki
@REKERLY
@scammellmanswife

@peterc10
@Langtoftlad
@ciderman
@Bobnmyrtle
@gillnphil

I've included those who were coming but now aren't, or know they might not be able to, just in case of a change of plan.
Right - better let the local musicians know now. One of them won't be pleased - he's coming on his pushbike & I've just extended his journey!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Oops.....:Eeek:....never mind
We used to have a gazebo approx 2x2m......Les will look in the garage (or could be in the roof:LOL:) tomorrow
No problems......
Is there any catering on site Simon? (Tripadvisor review of the bubblecar cafe were good)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@TheCaller. I'll still be there Simon, but probably as a solo on this occasion.

How soon can we arrive on the Friday? I'm happy to help out in any way needed. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
So - what went wrong?

Well, it appears that I booked too early!!

I fixed the date with the site back in August 2015. Every email to & from the site from then until today has included the date in the Subject line. But it now transpires that they hadn't really got their 2016 act together back in August, so it didn't really go into their 2016 planner. In January, when they had got their 2016 planner active, someone else also booked this weekend, but they failed to realise that we had already booked it.

In March, a further exchange of emails - all still with the date in the Subject, arranging a site visit, then confirming all the details we agreed on the site visit. But of course, the date never really got a mention while I was discussing the event details on site with them - as far as I was concerned, that was all done & dusted.

It was only when I sent them the final numbers this morning that they twigged that there were two rallies booked for the same weekend. They still thought at that point that the January booking was the prior one.

We could get into a big fight about who booked first & who ought to be going ahead, but it really isn't worth it. I don't want to spend the weekend at a site where the owners don't really want us there. To be fair, they are hugely apologetic & I suspect grateful that I'm not going off the deep end. There is nothing to be gained - a mistake has been made & a solution needs to be found. They were instrumental in finding us the slot at the airfield & have suggested that if we do ever want to speak to them again :whistle:, they will cut us a very good deal. No point in losing any sleep over it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Oops.....:Eeek:....never mind
We used to have a gazebo approx 2x2m......Les will look in the garage (or could be in the roof:LOL:) tomorrow
No problems......
Is there any catering on site Simon? (Tripadvisor review of the bubblecar cafe were good)
Start digging - that will come in handy.

Catering very similar. There is a cafe on the airfield & apparently they do a mean breakfast. I've only spoken to the CFI (Chief Flying Instructor) so far, but he thought the cafe would be up to mass bacon butties on Sunday morning. Bring the barbie, but we'll leave any decision about supplies until we get there. It's easy enough to nip to Tesco for rolls & either bacon from there or some proper top quality stuff from the butchers in town.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Start digging - that will come in handy.

Catering very similar. There is a cafe on the airfield & apparently they do a mean breakfast. I've only spoken to the CFI (Chief Flying Instructor) so far, but he thought the cafe would be up to mass bacon butties on Sunday morning. Bring the barbie, but we'll leave any decision about supplies until we get there. It's easy enough to nip to Tesco for rolls & either bacon from there or some proper top quality stuff from the butchers in town.
Fairy snuff but I was thinking more of our own catering requirements in the van:LOL:.....sounds good to me.....looks like there's also a B&M & Maplins next door to Tesco:)

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
@TheCaller. I'll still be there Simon, but probably as a solo on this occasion.

How soon can we arrive on the Friday? I'm happy to help out in any way needed. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks, Jock. We'll be sorry not to see Rita, but great to see you again.

If we can gather the materials, there will be a shelter rigging party, I suspect. :D

We did a similar meet with one of the bands last summer & their guitar player had a huge plastic sheet that we rigged up between his van & one of the cars. So I'm about to email him & ask him to bring that & anything else he has (assuming he still has it).

Come as early as you like. We are going down Thursday afternoon, so will be there on Friday morning. Don't wake me up too early - I know you are an early riser!

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Fairy snuff but I was thinking more of our own catering requirements in the van:LOL:.....sounds good to me.....looks like there's also a B&M & Maplins next door to Tesco:)
I would plan to be self-sufficient (with Tesco on the doorstep you could arrive with an empty fridge, a credit card & still be self-sufficient :D) & treat anything you decide to get from the cafe as a bonus. Very much depends on what you want to eat & when. Evening meals you will have to do yourself, but if you wanted a quick lunch or tea, then the cafe is right there.

In view of our unexpected invasion, I think it would be nice to give the cafe a bit of trade, but not to overwhelm them.

Yep, you can get food & drink from Tesco, nip next door for a cheap floor mop, then into Maplins for an electrical thingummy to control the whatsit, then over to Downtown for a complete new set of bedding for the van. Don't suppose we will see you all weekend. :D

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry we can't get there any earlier to help Simon. We think you are doing the right thing no point in getting cross ! Especially if they have offered a deal next year;). We are game wherever it is but I must tell Debs my back is still a bit iffy so may not be able to dance!
Like the use of the word ' instrumental' in the campsites help very apt!!:LOL: It's all good and no worries but can they organise sun please!!!:sun:

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well done in finding another location at such short notice.(y)
Can you change the weather to sunshine too please.

Mum has the pop up gazebo packed. Im sure she wont mind sharing ,:)
We will be overnighting somewhere around Leeds on Thurs night so will arrive by lunchtime on Fri.

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Looking forward to it.........and I have a pop up gazebo that I bought at Malvern last year complete with sides ( a real bargain)....not used it yet so I will bring that if you like and we can give it an airing ..

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
I think under the circumstances we will pull out of this one then...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As you know already, Gill has a broken ankle and as such we wont be coming so this might just help a bit.
Phil
Gillnphil
Sorry to hear that Phil. :( I hope Gill's recovery is quick.................and that she resists the temptation to throw the crutches out of the window. ;)

Cheers,

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Looking forward to it.........and I have a pop up gazebo that I bought at Malvern last year complete with sides ( a real bargain)....not used it yet so I will bring that if you like and we can give it an airing ..
Thanks - yes please, bring it along.

We may yet all fit in the clubhouse, but it will be good to be prepared. (y)

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
Never been pulled out of the mud by an aeroplane before !!! Innit fun?:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
TheCaller
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I think under the circumstances we will pull out of this one then...
Up to you, but everything looks to be falling (back) into place. We should be fine.

You would still be very welcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back